THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Kabalite/Cult/Coven Traits in 2 Flavors

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tounguekutter
Sybarite
Tounguekutter

Kabalite/Cult/Coven Traits in 2 Flavors Empty
PostSubject: Kabalite/Cult/Coven Traits in 2 Flavors   Kabalite/Cult/Coven Traits in 2 Flavors I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 23 2018, 14:17

As I daydreamed of a thematic, fun, playable Drukhari codex that breaks the mold I thought it might be cool if there were two kinds of traits: traits for specific Kabals, Cults, and Covens but also traits for players who want to make Drukhari soup.  And so I devised Alliance Attributes for your musing or homebrewing pleasure.

I wanted the Alliance Attributes to not be as strong as the more specialized traits and also general enough that it make sense for each sub-faction in the alliance to benefit in that way.  There is a lot of material I have not written but am considering in mind so please forgive me for not providing much context as far as what I have in mind for the rest of my work in progress fan codex.  I'm always eager for constructive criticism, commentary, and new ideas.  Thank you for reading and happy homebrewing!

Kabalite, Cult, Coven, and Alliance attributes

My 8th edition fandex is complete enough for appraisal (note that I completed it before any previews had been released) .  I'm sure there are inconsistencies, please let me know where they lie as you find them.  Thank you!  Click here for fandex
Back to top Go down
|Meavar
Hekatrix
|Meavar

PostSubject: Re: Kabalite/Cult/Coven Traits in 2 Flavors   Kabalite/Cult/Coven Traits in 2 Flavors I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 23 2018, 15:13

Just a few random comments:

Why do cult and coven vehicles not gain the bonus?

Some are really nice and I think the overal ones which are slightly weaker are both simpler and more elegant.
For instance Gaining +d6 move when going over a vehicle, means you always keep a vehicle next to them, move 1/1000000000000 of an inch over them and gain d6 extra movement) I think baletic has huge potential as a cule rule, but for some reason it just seems like it won't work and brings up hordes of quenstions., 6 extra move when falling back is not that great, but really clear (ad in they can charge after falling back and suddenly it is a much more powerfull choice).

The power of different factions is not nearly close enough and/ or variates hugely depending on which faction you are fighting.

Would you rather have your wracks have twice as many wounds or have them get a 6+++ versus a 5+++. Have your grots have 4 wounds each or heal each grot unit for 1 wound a turn if they are wounded. There is no gameplay reason not to go for prophets of the flesh over everspiral. Altered versus ebon sting is better, one favours monsters and drawn out fights the other wracks and short skirmishes.

And charge after falling back and effectively only suffer overwatch from 1 chosen unit units (which will always be characters or units without ranged weapons), or ignore overwatch on a 4+ Makes it a no brainer which I would pick.

-3 to ld (feels like something that should also be coven even more then kabal to me) is huge against things like guard or marines, but useless against orks and tyranids
Coven of the hex is great against nids and thousand sons, useless against dark eldar, tau, necrons.

Also if something works with no escape, it is useless against some armies, and useless for half the cult units, so don't make it their "powerfull" signature.
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Incubi
Mppqlmd

PostSubject: Re: Kabalite/Cult/Coven Traits in 2 Flavors   Kabalite/Cult/Coven Traits in 2 Flavors I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 23 2018, 16:55

Quote :
There is no gameplay reason not to go for prophets of the flesh over everspiral.

Everspiral, as written there, is intended for one thing : spamming Taloi and Chronoi Smile

Quote :
Coven of the hex is great against nids and thousand sons, useless against dark eldar, tau, necrons.
Forcing the enemy to reroll 6's to hit is crazy good (especially against Necrons, it makes Tesla completly unviable). If you go against Orkz and you have Venoms/planes, they hit you on 1/36...

My review (i didn't go deep into the alliance system):

- Black Heart : very simple, very cool, very thematic. The "double the models for objectives" is an answer to a need our army truly has, so i say : great job.
- Iron Thorn : i think (and hope) we'll get something like that. Super useful for people like me that play a DL in every squad of Kabs.
- Last Hatred : why not. Not as good as its Coven equivalent (as Kabals are more vehicle oriented, and this doesn't affect vehicles), but still legit.
- Flayed Skull : very legit. Definitly useful to add 4" to raiders advancing.
- Broken Sigil : perfect. I hope we'll get this one in the dex.
- Severed : why not. I don't think anyone would pick this one (this can be done by a stratagem, while the other bonuses are permanent), but a nice option i guess ? Definitly the weakest.

- Strife : simple but elegant.
- Red grief : doesn't work, the bloat is very strong with this one. I'd suggest a rule allowing you to embark your wyches in the reavers/hellions squad (that way, you could play a cult army with no Raider/no venoms).
- Live capture : a doctrine boosting 1 unit in the army is not very interesting. This could give No Escape (5+) to your entire army, and boost the No Escape rolls of your wyches by +2.
- Wrath unbound : for a faction that mobile, the drawback isn't enough... +2 attacks on the charge for the entire army is a bit over the top for me. Rerolling to wound on the charge would feel more balanced. But maybe that's just me, overall it's still a solid idea.
- Cursed blade : the overwatch thing is complicated... and you're basically giving "Fly" and "Hit and Run" when more than half your units already have that rule. The only units really gaining something are wyches here. A simple "the enemy rerolls successfull Overwatch rolls" would be simpler and better.
- Blood shadows : very similar to the previous one. Why not a "-1 to shoot when under 12" " ? I don't think it exists, and it would give a very claustrophobic feeling to your opponent, that would be forced to keep his distances with your crazy cultists.

- Prophets of flesh : wayyy overpowered for Wracks. That's just not going to happen, i think. And if it does... there is no reason to take anything else.
- Ebon sting : yes. I'd rather see it reroll to wound though (so you can have a 2+ rerollable Ossefactor), but it definitly works.
- Everspiral : i think we could realistically get something like this. Would be okay.
- Altered : actually quite nice. Should give +2 attacks to Pain Engines, but overall a great trait.
- Hex : i'm in love with this one. The rerolling 6's to hit is crazy good, and the "anti psycher" is really needed.
- Dark Creed : how to turn your wracks into zombies... i like the idea, even though i'd never play it (a bit underwhelming).

Overall a nice job, but there are some unrealistic things, and some big balance issues. But some great ideas (especially the Hex one).

Sybarite
Tounguekutter

PostSubject: Re: Kabalite/Cult/Coven Traits in 2 Flavors   Kabalite/Cult/Coven Traits in 2 Flavors I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 23 2018, 17:48

I really appreciate the detailed constructive criticisms - thank you!

I will get to work on taking these ideas into account soon. Happy homebrewing!

My 8th edition fandex is complete enough for appraisal (note that I completed it before any previews had been released) .  I'm sure there are inconsistencies, please let me know where they lie as you find them.  Thank you!  Click here for fandex
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Incubi
Mppqlmd

PostSubject: Re: Kabalite/Cult/Coven Traits in 2 Flavors   Kabalite/Cult/Coven Traits in 2 Flavors I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 27 2018, 11:06

Some other suggestions :

- Cult of Strife : "Martial excellence" : your units lose the "Combat Drug" special rule. Your Cult units can be activated twice per combat phase.

- Cult of the Seventh Woe : "Tyrannid beasts" : your units are Khymeras are led by a Genestealer. Your units of CF are led by a Carnifex. Your units of Razorwing Flocks are led by a Harpie. All those Tyrannids unit receive the "Beast" tag.

- Kabal of the Dying Sun : "Eclipse" shooting attacks made by your opponent during the first turn only hit on 6's.

- Kabal of the Blackened Tear : your poisoned weapons gain +1 to wound.

PostSubject: Re: Kabalite/Cult/Coven Traits in 2 Flavors   Kabalite/Cult/Coven Traits in 2 Flavors I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kabalite/Cult/Coven Traits in 2 Flavors
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

OTHER DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Rules Development
-
Jump to: