THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Absolute noobie, looking to build a decent 1800-2000pt list to get started

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Nogrim
Kabalite Warrior
Nogrim

Absolute noobie, looking to build a decent 1800-2000pt list to get started Empty
PostSubject: Absolute noobie, looking to build a decent 1800-2000pt list to get started   Absolute noobie, looking to build a decent 1800-2000pt list to get started I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31 2018, 05:00

okay so some background. a few years back i had been thinking about getting in to the game, and managed to wrangle a really sweet deal on a (i think 3rd edition models) 1700-2000 point DE army.
most of it was partially built, painted crappily, and had some missing bits but for $100 it was an absolute steal even if it was older models.

well life did its thing and resulted on me shelving them until very recently, 8th edition seemed like a good time to finally take the plunge.

ive grabbed a rule book, the xenos codex, and have snagged a few extras that i felt were cool looking (because why the hell not)

so that leads us to now, in the last few weeks i painted the wyches as my first models (they are awful) and have since gotten the base coats on almost all of my warriors. since then i bought 15 hellions (purely for looks) and the starter set ( 10 warriors, 1 raider, archon and 3 jetbikes)

So it is time is start figuring out what im going to field for my first game based on what i already have, and to start learning what else i may need to fill things out.

to that end this is what i have to work with.

HQ
1x (old) Urien rakarth
4x haemonculi
1x (new archon)

troops
36x (old) kabalite warriors
10x (new) kabalite warriors
10x (old) wyches (painfully noob painted)

elites
4x (old) grotesques

fast attack
15x Hellions
3x reaver bikes

heavy support
1x (old) ravage
1x (old) Asdrubael Vect (using as a pretty, but standard raider)

transports
1x (new) raider
2x (old) raiders

so that is what i have to work with, so any advice in how build a nice well rounded force (smaller forces like 500, or 1000 are also appreciated) for me to learn, i dont mind getting stomped early on to learn more difficult tactics (im starting as DE after all)

and to follow up, if there are obvious gaps to fill that WOULD create a good solid army out of what i have im certainly open to picking up some new toys, ive already got my eyes on at least 2-3 venoms.

any way any help C&C etc are greatly appreciated, let the addiction begin.
Back to top Go down
TheBaconPope
Wych
TheBaconPope

Absolute noobie, looking to build a decent 1800-2000pt list to get started Empty
PostSubject: Re: Absolute noobie, looking to build a decent 1800-2000pt list to get started   Absolute noobie, looking to build a decent 1800-2000pt list to get started I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31 2018, 06:30

I'm seeing the good foundation of a list here, but I think you're missing a lot of Anti-Tank. Again, most of this advice will be invalidated in ~3 Weeks when we get our codex, but I'must happy to help! I'll give a unit by unit breakdown, followed by the rough outline of what list I think could be made with this, and capping it off with some suggestions if you're looking to purchase.

HQ
Urien - While not bad, I find his stats a little lack-luster. For casual games he'll serve you well, but if you're looking to be more competitive, he'll probably be best as a demented cheerleader.

Haemoculi - This, in my opinion, is what should make up the core of your HQs. They should probably be footslogged, armed with Electrocorrosive Whips, and pointed to hobble their way over to a character.
These guys are the best HQs we have, and the best anti-character too. One thing to consider.
Their aura buff extends to Transports as well. Easy access to T6 Raiders on a platform that will make back its points offensively? Yes please.

Archon:
While not strictly competitive, and not needed to fill your HQs, I've come to appreciate Archons. Keep them cheap, always put an agonizer on them, and if you're feeling fancy, put a blaster on them with that sweet sweet BS2+. My suggestion would be putting this on the back burner when creating your list, and, if you are going to run him, perhaps use him as a screen for your Haemy's. That 2+ Invuln is guaranteed to annoy the crap out of any opponent.
Troops
Kabalite Warriors - Both due to their effectiveness, cost, and combat abilities, plus that you have a bunch of them, these will probably make up the core of your troops. I'd normally recommend against this, but running Squads of 10 with a Blaster and Dark Lance will really help shore up your Anti-Tank. Remember, these pointy guys and gals won't make their points back on foot, you really *need* a transport for them.

Wyches - Even with a noob paint job, their models are gorgeous! Their rules..? Not so much. They're in the same boat as Urien, good for casual games, not much else. If you are going to run them, I'd recommend doing so in a squad of ten, load it up with as many Hydra Gauntlets as you can, give the Squad Leader an Agonizer, drug them up with +1 Attack, and use the Webway Strategem to deep strike them where you need them.
Elites
Grotesques - Have to say I envy you having the old Grot models. The aggressive tap dancing of the modern one doesn't really do it for me. Regardless, these guys have seen better days. However, they're a lot more durable than you'd think with a Haemy neat. Feel free to use them as a vanguard for your little character smashing parade.
Fast Attack
Hellions - I'd honestly stay away from these. Remember that while their weapons may look tempting, they're the cost of almost 3 Kabalite Warriors, with the same defensive stats as 1.

Reavers - I'd also shy away from these. At an agonizing 30 points per model, I've found they struggle to pull their weight even in super-casual games. Shame, as their models are probably my favorites of the GW line.
Heavy Support
Ravager. While you only have one, these are always a good part of your army. For you, I'd keep it stock with Dark Lances, point and shoot, not much more to it than that.
Transports
Raiders + Vect: 4 Raiders will definitely serve you well. I'd also recommend keeping them stock with Dark Lances. At T6 with a Haemy nearby, they won't disappoint.

Here's a quick, 5-minute, list I came up with. It's 1500 points, but I feel it'll serve you well.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Aeldari - Drukhari) [51 PL, 1002pts] ++

+ Heavy Support +

Ravager [8 PL, 155pts]: Dark Lance, Dark Lance, Dark Lance

+ Dedicated Transport +

Raider [6 PL, 115pts]: Dark Lance

+ Troops +

Kabalite Warriors [5 PL, 112pts]
. 7x Kabalite Warrior
. Kabalite warrior with Heavy Weapon: Dark Lance
. Kabalite Warrior with special weapon: Blaster
. Sybarite: Agoniser, Phantasm Grenade Launcher, Splinter Rifle

. 7x Kabalite Warrior

. 7x Kabalite Warrior

+ HQ +

Haemonculus [5 PL, 83pts]: Crucible of Malediction, Electrocorrosive whip, Splinter Pistol, The Parasite's Kiss, Warlord

Haemonculus [5 PL, 83pts]: Crucible of Malediction, Electrocorrosive whip, Splinter Pistol

++ Patrol Detachment (Aeldari - Drukhari) [27 PL, 495pts] ++

+ Dedicated Transport +

+ Troops +

. 7x Kabalite Warrior

Wyches [6 PL, 102pts]
. Hekatrix: Agoniser, Splinter pistol
. 7x Wych
. Wych with Wych Weapon: Hydra gauntlets
. Wych with Wych Weapon: Hydra gauntlets

+ HQ +

Haemonculus [5 PL, 83pts]: Crucible of Malediction, Electrocorrosive whip, Splinter Pistol

++ Total: [78 PL, 1497pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Finally, some suggestions for purchasing. Do not buy anything before the codex comes out. Nothing like spending a chunk of cash on dust catchers.
-Ravagers. These are excellent anti-tank, with a good amount of durability to boot. They'll rarely fail to impress.
-Beasts. Of any variety. It's easy to convert a Beastmaster out of a Hellion (Give Hellion an Agonizer. You now have a Beastmaster. None of the Beasts will really let you down. I'd try to avoid the finecast ones GW puts out, it's easy to convert if you'd like.
-Mandrakes. Statistically one of, if not the, best unit in our codex. Cool model, creepy fluff, fantastic rules.

Kabalite Warrior
Nogrim

PostSubject: Re: Absolute noobie, looking to build a decent 1800-2000pt list to get started   Absolute noobie, looking to build a decent 1800-2000pt list to get started I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31 2018, 21:42

hmm some very interesting points and quite a lot of things i had already been looking at and noticing.

the bikes were just freebies with the starter set, i was exactly wowed by them when i look at the stats, but the extra warriors/raider on the cheap were the goal with the starter kit anyway (was only $85 cdn)

hellions i also noticed, but those mostly were snagged for the looks anyway.

i absolutely love the old grotesques, i wish i had some more for a bit more coven'iness.

as for ravagers i consider the adsrubael vect just another ravager [not a raider] bringing total to 2 (im pretty sure long term ill aim to have 3, and might just update to the new models when the need arises)

as for the army lists.
everything looks pretty similar to what i had been considering which is a good sign that im understanding things (yay me!!) im still a bit shaky on how to outfit units and what is worth the points. i think my biggest weakness now is not knowing what the other armies field or can do (im watching a lot of youtubed battlereports though so im getting better)

from battle reports it became clear you can never have enough darklances.

personally i think im going to gravitate toward larger point battles so have been focusing on trying out the 2000 ish point lists.

so far my understanding is command points can be used to reroll a single dice (so not rerolling a whole squads shots) while powerful its leave things up to chance (or rather retesting chance)

not liking that (personal preference over effectiveness i know) i was thinking about abusing the webway portals. 1cmd = 1 units or 3 for 2 units iirc.

is it possible to take 2x 2unit webways for 6 points? the idea of just sticking a unit of 10 wyches, 15 hellions, the grotesques, a haemonculi in turn 2 or 3 when the power from pain abilities start kicking in sounds like the sort of dickish disruptive crap i love. [ive been eyeing incubi and mandrakes for that role)

something tells me i can only take the 1 upgraded webway though so would it be wise to stick the wyches AND the hellions in them so i can hop them in and hit from behind? i kinda wish that you could shoot a unit tied up in CC from behind.

im still not 100% clear on how the tactics work with charging, for example using web ways to drop them in once the enemy is tied up with the grots, would that prevent overwatch shots against them if they are already tied up with the grots/haemonculi and allow them to be more likely to survive the charge?

certainly going to wait on the codex, but right now next buys will likely be another ravager to bring the total up to 3 (again using vect's ravager as a placeholder for a standard ravager) and then maybe some mandrakes.
Back to top Go down
Nogrim
Kabalite Warrior
Nogrim

PostSubject: Re: Absolute noobie, looking to build a decent 1800-2000pt list to get started   Absolute noobie, looking to build a decent 1800-2000pt list to get started I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31 2018, 22:00

okay so a few more small questions, if im going to keep the kabalites mounted in the raiders are the agonizers worth it? i know they are pretty cheap but it seems kinda pointless.

im also short one raider to pull this off (only have 3 as vect is actualy a ravager) so im betting that is good next purchase that shouldnt matter if i get it before the codex right?

if i were to push on to a 2000 point list would the hellions [DS'ing] and the extra ravager and the grots be a good way to fill in the other 500 ish points?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Absolute noobie, looking to build a decent 1800-2000pt list to get started   Absolute noobie, looking to build a decent 1800-2000pt list to get started I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Absolute noobie, looking to build a decent 1800-2000pt list to get started
Page 1 of 1