THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Forewarned vs Characters

Go down 
+2
Count Adhemar
Kantalla
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kantalla
Wych
Kantalla

Forewarned vs Characters Empty
PostSubject: Forewarned vs Characters   Forewarned vs Characters I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 20 2018, 10:12

Craftworlds have a Stratagem (Forewarned) that allows a unit near a Farseer to shoot at a unit arriving as reinforcements.

If the unit arriving from reinforcements is a character with less than 10 wounds, such as the Yncarne, and is not the nearest unit, can the Stratagem be used to shoot at it?

Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Forewarned vs Characters   Forewarned vs Characters I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 20 2018, 10:13

Unless the stratagem specifically says that it ignores the normal shooting rules I'd say this attack follows the normal rules and therefore can't target a character unless it's the closest enemy unit.

|Meavar
Hekatrix
|Meavar

PostSubject: Re: Forewarned vs Characters   Forewarned vs Characters I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 20 2018, 11:55

I say it can since the character rule specifies shooting phase.
Deep strike happens in the movement phase, thus no protection, same goes for psychic powers that do not target the nearest unit etc.
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Forewarned vs Characters   Forewarned vs Characters I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 20 2018, 12:01

|Meavar wrote:

Didnt that change in CA? I think now they are protected in all phases.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Forewarned vs Characters   Forewarned vs Characters I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 20 2018, 12:03

|Meavar wrote:
Deep strike happens in the movement phase, thus no protection, same goes for psychic powers that do not target the nearest unit etc.

But the stratagem says "as if it were the shooting phase" so would presumably include that restriction.

URIEN
Kabalite Warrior
URIEN

PostSubject: Re: Forewarned vs Characters   Forewarned vs Characters I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 20 2018, 12:26

If you guys want an interpretation on how to resolve that look at the Custode's FAQ. There is a similar stratagem which had the same question asked and answered.

Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Forewarned vs Characters   Forewarned vs Characters I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 20 2018, 12:41

URIEN wrote:
If you guys want an interpretation on how to resolve that look at the Custode's FAQ. There is a similar stratagem which had the same question asked and answered.

Q: How does the Ever Vigilant Stratagem interact with Characters with a Wounds characteristic of less than 10? Can Ever Vigilant allow a unit to target such a Character who arrives as reinforcements even if they are not the closest enemy unit?
A: No, unless they shoot weapons that can target Characters even if they are not the closest enemy unit.

Kantalla
Wych
Kantalla

PostSubject: Re: Forewarned vs Characters   Forewarned vs Characters I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 21 2018, 05:01

That's a great answer. The Stratagem says you shoot "at that enemy unit" (meaning the one arriving from reinforcements), which might bypass the character targeting restrictions. However, if Custodes have a similar Stratagem and it has been FAQed to not bypass character targeting then it would make sense to have the same limitation for Eldar.

Back to top Go down
Ikol
Wych
Ikol

PostSubject: Re: Forewarned vs Characters   Forewarned vs Characters I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 21 2018, 05:04

Count Adhemar wrote:
URIEN wrote:

Q: How does the Ever Vigilant Stratagem interact with Characters with a Wounds characteristic of less than 10? Can Ever Vigilant allow a unit to target such a Character who arrives as reinforcements even if they are not the closest enemy unit?
A: No, unless they shoot weapons that can target Characters even if they are not the closest enemy unit.

But this leaves a question for models like the Death Jester, which do not have a Sniper gun, but are able to single out CHARACTERS due to an ability on the model.

Could he target such a Character under these circumstances? I would argue that he should be able to, but that RAW he cannot.

”Woe to our enemies.  We'll tear them apart regardless.” ~Barrywise
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Forewarned vs Characters   Forewarned vs Characters I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 21 2018, 07:18

Forewarned only applies to Craftworld units anyway so a DJ couldn't use it. If 'Quins had a similar ability I'd still allow it though as the DJ is specifically permitted to shoot characters and nothing in the stratagem alters that.

URIEN
Kabalite Warrior
URIEN

PostSubject: Re: Forewarned vs Characters   Forewarned vs Characters I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 21 2018, 09:55

If the DJ could be given forewarned or something similar then yes. Don't forget, even though they haven't said it much, Codex's overwrite the rulebook. So in the case of these stratagems it's allowing an out of sequence shooting attack but doesn't specify that it ignores the normal rules for shooting. So yes the Custodian FAQ gives you your answer and a sense of how to interpret similar scenarios.

PostSubject: Re: Forewarned vs Characters   Forewarned vs Characters I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Forewarned vs Characters
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Rules: Queries & Questions
-
Jump to: