THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

The Ghosts of the Webway

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wormfromhell
Sybarite
wormfromhell

The Ghosts of the Webway Empty
PostSubject: The Ghosts of the Webway   The Ghosts of the Webway I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06 2018, 06:34

Hi all
This first post is some photos of stuff I have painted, I am looking to improve my painting as I bought an eBay lot with tons of stuff. Please tell me any tips, I am starting to take my time more, which is helping, but I'm still not that happy with the result. My colour scheme us similar to ss82's, except with tribal markings and inverted vehicle black and metal. This thread will eventually morph into a plog as I post more.

The Ghosts of the Webway 20180410
The Ghosts of the Webway 20180411
The Ghosts of the Webway 20180416
I am particularly struggling with vehicles, the edge highlighting is hard, although I am reasonably happy with the weathering. I also have a brush dilemma, as my smallest brush is a GW layer, so I'll get some more soon.
The Ghosts of the Webway 20180417
The Ghosts of the Webway 20180418
Also the black bases are unpainted.

My current method is:
Black spray
Leadbelcher base on metallic parts
Beige base on skin, bone, pouches
Blue base on hair
Black wash
Moot green base on vials, tubes, poision, insignias, eyes

Should I apply layers after the wash? Should I edge highlight the metal? So many questions... thanks in advance!

DISCLAIMER - I will not be liable for assassinations, gang warfare, murders, turf disputes, drug &/or weapon theft, petty theft, torture or any other actions. If you have any problems, you can take it up with my Incubi.

PLOG- Ghosts of the Webway
Back to top Go down
|Meavar
Hekatrix
|Meavar

PostSubject: Re: The Ghosts of the Webway   The Ghosts of the Webway I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06 2018, 07:24

First I am not a good painter, so take my advise with a bag of salt.

First thing,
I also have a problem with it and with a lot of stuff I do not care, so don't take it as a must, just something that will improve the painting. Sometimes you might wish to do a second layer over the first, expecially the green on black, now you can see the big painting stripes.
Also some of the models look slightly mottled/spotted, I think this could be because you painted miniatues who were already painted, but it could also be that your black base spray was not completely fine (possibly because of not shaking the can, the weather being very hot or humid, or keeping the can to close to the models and spraying to thick) although it seems to be mostly with metal parts so it could also be your leadbelcher paint (although it looks similar to my figures when the base spray went wrong).
Then on to your questions
You can apply a layer after the wash, but keep it thin, if you feel enthousiastic, you might wish to do wash (a brown/ or a different colour) on the leather/skin and you can still ad a layer if you want to make it more vivid and bright.
The same goes for the edge highlight, I think the models look really great with it and if you take a slightly lighter metal you can get a good effect, although it will make the edges look sharper and will also make the models slightly more shiny (which can be a good or a bad thing depending on what you like).
Back to top Go down
wormfromhell
Sybarite
wormfromhell

PostSubject: Re: The Ghosts of the Webway   The Ghosts of the Webway I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06 2018, 07:31

thanks for the reply, i think the spotty base coat was from a combination of spraying too much, and hot weather (I sprayed that in the summer, and in australia it gets pretty hot and humid).

i'll definitely try layering, and an edge highlight when i get a smaller brush and more paints.

DISCLAIMER - I will not be liable for assassinations, gang warfare, murders, turf disputes, drug &/or weapon theft, petty theft, torture or any other actions. If you have any problems, you can take it up with my Incubi.

Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: The Ghosts of the Webway   The Ghosts of the Webway I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06 2018, 11:36

A suggestion if you can;t be bothered with too much effort, is to simply spray a base colour, and then apply a wash/ink. That'll give you some layering and a tiny bit of hghlight without too much extra hassle (or the need for even more paints and brushes).
Washes can be your best friend.

http://www.escelionfilms.com
wormfromhell
Sybarite
wormfromhell

PostSubject: Re: The Ghosts of the Webway   The Ghosts of the Webway I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07 2018, 01:00

Built 10 wyches, the hekatrix and wych weapons are magnetized.

The Ghosts of the Webway 20180421

Still have 10 more to do...

The Ghosts of the Webway 20180422

Back to top Go down
wormfromhell
Sybarite
wormfromhell

PostSubject: Re: The Ghosts of the Webway   The Ghosts of the Webway I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09 2018, 10:03

Wyches painted, reavers built and painted. Tried layering, although only being able to wash and use the base as a layer hasn't done much, but is better than nothing.
The Ghosts of the Webway 20180423
The Ghosts of the Webway 20180424
The Ghosts of the Webway 20180425
The Ghosts of the Webway 20180426

Planning to get some more paints soon...

Sent from Topic'it App

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Ghosts of the Webway   The Ghosts of the Webway I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Ghosts of the Webway
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs
-
Jump to: