THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Tantalus Basing Help

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
JD_Esquire
Slave
JD_Esquire

Tantalus Basing Help Empty
PostSubject: Tantalus Basing Help   Tantalus Basing Help I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12 2018, 16:32

Hi there, long time lurker but I had to seek some help,

I recently purchased a Tantalus, but it only came with a normal flying stand (come on gw...). What does every use to hold this thing up? I'd prefer something I could just buy, so any links would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
clively
Sybarite
clively

PostSubject: Re: Tantalus Basing Help   Tantalus Basing Help I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12 2018, 23:27

Get one of the metal rods from corsec engineering. And buy a 120mm oval resin base from dragonforge designs.

I’ll post pictures of mine and links in a bit.

Slave
JD_Esquire

PostSubject: Re: Tantalus Basing Help   Tantalus Basing Help I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12 2018, 23:38

Awesome, looking forward to it.
Back to top Go down
clively
Sybarite
clively

PostSubject: Re: Tantalus Basing Help   Tantalus Basing Help I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13 2018, 00:18

Ignore the crappy paint jobs.  I'm still figuring out what to do with these...

Corsec Engineering site:  http://www.corseceng.com/omni-stand/

DragonForge Designs: http://www.dragonforge.com/

Bear in mind that every order I've placed with DragonForge takes between 2 and 3 months.  It's quality stuff, the guy is just always back logged.  He does update his page to tell you what month's orders he is working on though.  I've bought probably 200 bases from him over the past couple of years.

The last order I placed with Corsec took about a month.

This is the Tantalus.  It's on a Lost Empires 120mm x 90mm oval base.  The metal rod is the 3" version; I could have used a 2.5" but I thought that was pushing it with the size of the blades under the ship.  From corsec you would need the 3" rod plus 2 of the omni stand mounting pegs.

Tantalus Basing Help Img_3719

This picture shows a corsec acrylic base with a dicedock.  The acrylic he uses is clear.  THe reason it's brown is that I haven't removed the backing paper from it.  I like the dicedocks for some models but they are kind of a pain to get access to under others.  For example, I generally just put the dice in the pilots spot on the ravagers/reapers/raiders.  The dice shown are standard Chessex dice everyone uses.

Also note the threading at the top of the rod.  Each end of the rod has threads which makes it trivial to remove the base if you need to while at the same time providing an absolute secure way of keeping the model on the base.  

Tantalus Basing Help Img_3716

Corsec also has a dial+indicator that fits around the rods.  These are fine if you have a high contrast color under the base.  Although if you aren't careful it's pretty easy to move the dial off of the number.
Tantalus Basing Help Img_3717

Dragon Forge Base with the 3" rod attached.  Note that I drilled out the base to embed the mounting peg into it.  I had to do the same thing on the Tantalus itself.  On the Tantalus I just drilled out the place where the supplied rod was supposed to go. Even though this isn't the center / balance point of the model the rod and base are more than strong enough to keep the model rock steady.

Tantalus Basing Help Img_3718

This final image shows the tantalus next to a reaper.  The reaper is on a 1.5" rod.
Tantalus Basing Help Img_3720

Last edited by clively on Fri Apr 13 2018, 14:40; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
clively
Sybarite
clively

PostSubject: Re: Tantalus Basing Help   Tantalus Basing Help I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13 2018, 00:23

Except for my Reavers, I replaced every flight stand with the corsec ones.  Some of the models get the nicer dragon forge bases, others just get the acrylic bases.

If you need some more pics let me know.

Slave
JD_Esquire

PostSubject: Re: Tantalus Basing Help   Tantalus Basing Help I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13 2018, 20:14

Thanks again for this, definitely going to pick up one of those stands!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tantalus Basing Help   Tantalus Basing Help I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tantalus Basing Help
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-