THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Namarti Mandrakes

Go down 
+7
CptMetal
Nogrim
|Meavar
zelatar
Siticus the Ancient
Kihrezae Morvishk
AzraeI
11 posters
AuthorMessage
AzraeI
Wych
AzraeI

Namarti Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Namarti Mandrakes   Namarti Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14 2018, 12:47

Hello everyone,
has anybody decided or played with the idea to convert the new idoneth deepkin namarti thralls into mandrakes? the legs are similar enough to coat it in greenstuff for the flayed hide look, bare thorsos and heads, weapons quite identical. They only lack hair, but thats fixable
Back to top Go down
Kihrezae Morvishk
Slave
Kihrezae Morvishk

Namarti Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namarti Mandrakes   Namarti Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14 2018, 18:01

Now that you mention it, that does sound like an excellent idea. If you wanted to I'd even argue you wouldn't even need to add green stuff, though I imagine that may give off a more regal look than the traditional Mandrakes. As for the hair, the old Mandrake models (and I mean REALLY old) were actually bald, but do bear in mind that their lore has changed a bit since those days, and they looked much more like regular Aeldari.

In conclusion, I don't see why that couldn't work. The weapons certainly look the part, and one could easily add a bit of greenstuff if one wanted to add a more ethereal/daemonic feel.

Wych
Siticus the Ancient

Namarti Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namarti Mandrakes   Namarti Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14 2018, 18:14

It really wouldn't be an issue if the Mandrakes weren't in Failcast. I really like the current sculpts, but I'm simply not buying anything Finecast unless it's some bargain bin sort of deal.

I was just talking this over with the other DE player at the store about this - they make damn good Mandrakes with very minimal effort, as their eyeless faces and the carvings on the torso make them look like the genuine article. I think the more regal look would actually turn out exceptionally well - who's to say that half-material daemonic fiends can't materialize some sharp, angular armor decorations if they're at it?

The whole Idoneth line has some very interesting models and bits in particular - very Dark Eldar.

zelatar
Kabalite Warrior
zelatar

Namarti Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namarti Mandrakes   Namarti Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14 2018, 20:20

I just saw em on the GW site and came here to say the same thing! Although with a little kitbashing or sculpting I think they could serve as incubi or wracks, too.
I don't care for the aesthetic of the deepkin army itself, but they are packed with conversion potential! In particular I think they would fit really well with a coven-themed army.

Take this guy, for example. Call me crazy, but with a little kitbashing I think he could become a centerpiece haemo or Talos in a DE army:

Namarti Mandrakes GWPreview-Apr08-EidolonAspectOfTheSea03pp

Liquifier gun? More like liquifier cape! Just imagine it, with the base littered with semi-dissolved Drukhari--hoe cool would that be?!

Slave
Kihrezae Morvishk

Namarti Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namarti Mandrakes   Namarti Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14 2018, 20:28

zelatar wrote:
I just saw em on the GW site and came here to say the same thing! Although with a little kitbashing or sculpting I think they could serve as incubi or wracks, too.
I don't care for the aesthetic of the deepkin army itself, but they are packed with conversion potential! In particular I think they would fit really well with a coven-themed army.

Take this guy, for example. Call me crazy, but with a little kitbashing I think he could become a centerpiece haemo or Talos in a DE army:

Yeah, all you'd really need to do is change out the arms and maybe the head, and you'd have yourself a pretty damn good looking Haemonculus. And if you'd like it to look a bit more bizarre, you could even use the fish and other sea creatures for the face. Might want to have some green stuff on hand for that, though.

Wych
AzraeI

Namarti Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namarti Mandrakes   Namarti Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15 2018, 12:39

Siticus the Ancient wrote:
It really wouldn't be an issue if the Mandrakes weren't in Failcast. I really like the current sculpts, but I'm simply not buying anything Finecast unless it's some bargain bin sort of deal.

exactly my thinking, 10 namarti cost only 12€ less than 10 mandrakes, but the 5 mandrakes are 1. failcast and 2. have already to models with the same pose
Back to top Go down
|Meavar
Hekatrix
|Meavar

Namarti Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namarti Mandrakes   Namarti Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15 2018, 13:55

I was thinking more of making the water elfies into coven
With the namarti becoming wracks
Back to top Go down
Nogrim
Kabalite Warrior
Nogrim

Namarti Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namarti Mandrakes   Namarti Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15 2018, 23:29

those namarti look awesome, makes me glad i didnt grab the mandrakes yet, because now im grabbing a pack of those.

im going to leave the spikey hair bit off, paint them silver->waystone green-> then top it off with Agrellan Earth to get that cool cracked skin texture.
Back to top Go down
Nogrim
Kabalite Warrior
Nogrim

Namarti Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namarti Mandrakes   Namarti Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22 2018, 21:43

so im still waiting for mine to show up but i had a crazy idea on how to paint them and some spare arm bits laying around so decided to make a few practice attempts to see if it would work.

this is the end result of the second attempt
Namarti Mandrakes 20180410

i didn't bother priming before the silver as very little is visible anyway.

so first coat is lead belcher
covered with Waystone green gem paint
then agrellan earth technical (it causes the cracking effect)
and then a really light dry brushing with abbadon black.

the first attempt i didnt load on the agrellan earth thick enough so the crack sections were just too small to notice.

what do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

Namarti Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namarti Mandrakes   Namarti Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22 2018, 23:01

I'd use ghouls for my wracks since I got crypt horrors as grotesques and they look like mini versions. And spirit hosts as mandrakes.

Sent from Topic'it App

Kabalite Warrior
Nogrim

Namarti Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namarti Mandrakes   Namarti Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30 2018, 17:45

mine finally arrived got them put together over the weekend, and frak these are gorgeous models. little concerned my idea with cracked skin will be a bit harder to pull off based on the poses and how close some of the swords/arms are to the chests.

still even painting their skin black and painting on the runes will look bad ass.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

Namarti Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namarti Mandrakes   Namarti Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeTue May 01 2018, 10:50

Please post pictures.

Sent from Topic'it App

Kabalite Warrior
Nogrim

Namarti Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namarti Mandrakes   Namarti Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeWed May 02 2018, 03:12

Namarti Mandrakes 20180511
Namarti Mandrakes 20180517
Namarti Mandrakes 20180518
Namarti Mandrakes 20180519
Namarti Mandrakes 20180510
Namarti Mandrakes 20180515
Namarti Mandrakes 20180512
Namarti Mandrakes 20180516
Namarti Mandrakes 20180513
Namarti Mandrakes 20180514
still need to prime and paint, but the models are absolutely awesome. you get stuck with 3/10 as axes but even the axes look pretty damn bad ass. i think i will leave the off hands exposed with the green glow effect to show the bale blasts (im not great with green stuff sculpting, so not sure i could pull off the fireish effect)
Back to top Go down
unclasped
Slave
unclasped

Namarti Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namarti Mandrakes   Namarti Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeFri May 04 2018, 00:45

I think I know what my next purchase will be Wink
Although, I am not a huge fan of the spiky, antler, antenna thing on the back.  It looks like it can be easily removed/cut though.  
If you paint the rune right, you can have a forehead baleblast! cyclops

Wych
Kinnay

Namarti Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namarti Mandrakes   Namarti Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeFri May 04 2018, 06:54

Damn, they have ginormous hands! Very Happy

GreyArea
Kabalite Warrior
GreyArea

Namarti Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namarti Mandrakes   Namarti Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeFri May 04 2018, 09:18

They are really nice, might have to fork out the $$$ for some of these bad boys

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Nogrim
Kabalite Warrior
Nogrim

Namarti Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namarti Mandrakes   Namarti Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeFri May 04 2018, 14:28

unclasped wrote:
I think I know what my next purchase will be Wink
Although, I am not a huge fan of the spiky, antler, antenna thing on the back.  It looks like it can be easily removed/cut though.  
If you paint the rune right, you can have a forehead baleblast! cyclops

yeah the back bit is part of the model kit, i added it on him just to sort of show he is the squad leader, im not super enthused by it but figured id give it a shot and paint that one up first as the trial run, because i get the feeling the first one will be botched and need to be stripped anyway.
Back to top Go down
Nogrim
Kabalite Warrior
Nogrim

Namarti Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namarti Mandrakes   Namarti Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeSun May 06 2018, 12:56

So first test on the actual models
Namarti Mandrakes 20180520

Lessons learned:
avoid using the texture on the face/hands entirely, and then just paint in the black when you cover it.

its hard to get a pic to do the glow/shimmer effect inside the cracks with my crappy paint table set up.
ill try to come up with a better solution for the next pics.
Back to top Go down
Nogrim
Kabalite Warrior
Nogrim

Namarti Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namarti Mandrakes   Namarti Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeTue May 08 2018, 05:16

alright first test, just base coats obviously. what do you guys think? obviously going to have to add to the armour, but the skin is mostly finished.

C&C

Namarti Mandrakes 20180522
Namarti Mandrakes 20180521
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

Namarti Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namarti Mandrakes   Namarti Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeTue May 08 2018, 10:43

I love what I hope to be athe intention skin cfacking, green underneath effect.

Looks good to me.

http://www.escelionfilms.com
Nogrim
Kabalite Warrior
Nogrim

Namarti Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namarti Mandrakes   Namarti Mandrakes I_icon_minitimeTue May 08 2018, 17:22

yup that what im going for, this is just the first test run to make sure it all goes together color wise.

from some of the detail i lost on parts of this guy, the rest are going to use the texture paint effect a bit more selectively in areas so im not giving up important detail in areas like the face and hands.

my third color is usually a red for things like hair or plumes, but mandrakes have white hair, these guys are bald, so im thinking ill keep the tassles white just to make it more visually obvious.

this guy is pretty rough i just wanted to rush one and get some C&C before i set to work on the rest of them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Namarti Mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namarti Mandrakes   Namarti Mandrakes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Namarti Mandrakes
Page 1 of 1