THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Alarak theme for Kabal - Help

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Darktemplar
Hellion
Darktemplar

Alarak theme for Kabal - Help Empty
PostSubject: Alarak theme for Kabal - Help   Alarak theme for Kabal - Help I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23 2018, 19:09

For a little project i want to paint some kabal' in the colour of alarak, from starcraft 2.

Can you help me on which paints i should use for base colour?

Notice that he has somekind of reverse highlights going on, on the edge of his armor

Here' a random example screenshot

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/830083-starcraft-ii-legacy-of-the-void-windows-screenshot-one-of.jpg

Thanks
Back to top Go down
zelatar
Kabalite Warrior
zelatar

PostSubject: Re: Alarak theme for Kabal - Help   Alarak theme for Kabal - Help I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23 2018, 22:46

I suggest downloading the Citadel Paints App. Get Started > Choose a color > (pick a color). I am itching for some color exercises like this, so here's my stab at it.

Alarak theme for Kabal - Help 830083-starcraft-ii-legacy-of-the-void-windows-screenshot-one-of

• Prime black and gray using zenithal highlighting
  • Armor: Basecoat 2:1:1 mix of Chaos Black + Kantor Blue + Naggaroth Night
  • Armor: Layer with the above mix of paints, but with increasingly less black
  • Armor: Maybe start layering in lighter blues and purples like Xereus Purple and Genestealer Purple
  • Armor: Highlight with Genestealer Purple (or a dark purple mix on the "anti-highlight" areas)
  • Jewels: Basecoat in Screamer Pink, layer in a mixture of Pink Horror, and then finally Emperor's Children
  • Skin: download the app; Get Started > Choose a color > (try to pick a color that you think matches up with the skin).

Experiment on models you aren't attached to, of course. Maybe get some metallic blue or purple paint by Vallejo and mix a bit into your armor.

Hellion
Darktemplar

PostSubject: Re: Alarak theme for Kabal - Help   Alarak theme for Kabal - Help I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24 2018, 16:23

Very good answer.

Actually looking forward to trying this on some old kabal units.

How do you mix colours for long paint sessions?
Back to top Go down
zelatar
Kabalite Warrior
zelatar

PostSubject: Re: Alarak theme for Kabal - Help   Alarak theme for Kabal - Help I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 26 2018, 03:15

Check out this excellent blog post by Fauxhammer. I'm almost done switching my paints from those awful pots to dropper bottles and it is already SO worth the time investment (and the $15 I spent on ebay for supplies).

• Once you switch to dropper bottles (or, now that I think of it, just buy another brand of paints...) experiment with mixing one drop of paint A, three drops of paint B etc.
  • Once you find a ratio you like, write it down in a paint log! Trust me, you'll forget it otherwise!
  • Then you can take your ratio and measure out one ounce of pant A, three ounces of paint B, mix them, distill em into a dropper bottle, and bam! You'll have plenty of that color to work with before you need to mix up another batch.

PostSubject: Re: Alarak theme for Kabal - Help   Alarak theme for Kabal - Help I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alarak theme for Kabal - Help
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: