THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Uses of wracks?

Go down 
+2
Chippen
Frowny
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Frowny
Hellion
Frowny

Uses of wracks? Empty
PostSubject: Uses of wracks?   Uses of wracks? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12 2018, 13:18

Is anybody regularly USCG wracks? They seem like solid backfield objective holders and deepstrike denial. Since I run other coven stuff already I was thinking about 3 x 5 man squads to replace the rangers I run in my elder detachment. On the other hand I feel like I'm spending about 180 points on them almost exclusively to upgrade to a battalion and get the Cps which might just be better spent on more grots or talks....

The second thought however is looking at a lot of the high tier chaos lists which are often giant blobs of plague bearers backed by demon princes. Now I know we don't have anything as punchy as a character as a dp but they do seem to compare relatively well to plaguebearers so a giant wave of them seems reasonably viable. Relative to a plague bearer they are
+2 points - clearly a negative
4++/6+++ vs 5++/5++ basically a wash
+1 attack
+1 toughness
+2? Movement
Natural wounding on 4s
And only require one support character instead of 3ish

Is there something there? Has anyone tried huge numbers of them? Are they even worth it if you have a lot of coven already?
Back to top Go down
Chippen
Kabalite Warrior
Chippen

Uses of wracks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uses of wracks?   Uses of wracks? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12 2018, 13:48

I don't believe the strength of Plaguebearers is in their statline.

If you're taking a Covens detachment, Wracks are so cheap that you may as well make it a Battalion for, like you said, screening and objective holding. Ossefactors are decent too if you've got the points.

I don't run Covens hardly ever if I'm being honest, but if I do, it's a Battalion with minsquad + Ossefactor Wracks 100% of the time.

Ikol
Wych
Ikol

Uses of wracks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uses of wracks?   Uses of wracks? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12 2018, 18:11

I’ve been considering Coven quite heavily recently.

Wracks are just a little bit durable, but that’s about it.

Their combat is good-ish, their shooting is laughable, they don’t do anything other than respawn with strategic aid in Prophets.

Objective Camping is about all they’re good for, and they can probably hold a countercharge, but that’s it.  If they are camping, though, don’t overlook the Hex Rifle.  You’ll rarely kill anything, but knocking one or 2 wounds off some characters over the course of the game could tip the scales in a later combat.

”Woe to our enemies.  We'll tear them apart regardless.” ~Barrywise
Back to top Go down
Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

Uses of wracks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uses of wracks?   Uses of wracks? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 12 2018, 19:01

My mainly issue with them is that 4 Wracks are 36 points where 1 Grot is 35.

Anyway with a Prophet Battalion I would like to play 10-10-10 of them at foot, just for maximize my mandatory troops with the Wracks stratagem.
Back to top Go down
Dizzie
Kabalite Warrior
Dizzie

Uses of wracks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uses of wracks?   Uses of wracks? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02 2018, 01:16

I know this thread is a little older however, i have had amazing success with wracks i usually run 3 x 10(for cp too)and either grots or taloi in POF in a big blob and move them mid table asap.. wracks get full armament 2 Ossefactors, electro whip and hex-rifle, as for wrack shooting i don't get it, its far from crap. Ossefactors are brilliant against elite, 3+ hit, 2+ wound(always), -3 ap then 50% chance for another mortal wound for 7 point weapons, even against chaff they are great, however thats not what you want to be shooting.
I find i can reliably kill models with shooting and its the kind of shooting that gets your opponents attention as no one likes losing expensive elite models. IMO wracks are our best troop choice atm in fact in most my games they have easily been MVP, i get a lot of complaints about them being too good and rightly so at T5(aura) and 4+ 6++ they are rather tough to kill

On Saturday past i had 40 ork boys charge 2 squads of them, they lost 6 between the 2 squads, then my taloi joined the fray with chainflails and the boys were dead with the rest fleeing, failing their bosspole rolls, very very resilient unit, there's not many units that can do that and even less that are troops, they are dirt heap and don't really need a transport and the hilarity of bringing the squad back to full for free for CP is just awesome.
Back to top Go down
Frowny
Hellion
Frowny

Uses of wracks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uses of wracks?   Uses of wracks? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16 2018, 11:25

Is there consensus on what if any weapon to give the wrack acosyth? Venom blade for 2pts is the best against low sv enemies, and the electrocurrosive whip is the winner against multiwound enemies, and the agoniser the most cost effective against standard marines and equal to the venom blade against 4+ enemies. I'm leaning just toward venom blades but would love to hear everyones thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Dizzie
Kabalite Warrior
Dizzie

Uses of wracks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uses of wracks?   Uses of wracks? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 17 2018, 16:55

I always take the electrocorrosive whip, for full upgraded 10 man squad with 2 ossefactors, hex and electro whip is 115pts, its pretty cheap for what it does and does not require a transport.
With the little disparity of points in the CC weapon to choose from, best case scenario you fight multi wound models, worst case, its still an agoniser i would rather have the -2AP than the better chance to wound, Wracks risk getting tar-pitted for too long so i find the whip helps.
Back to top Go down
@miral
Kabalite Warrior
@miral

Uses of wracks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uses of wracks?   Uses of wracks? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 18 2018, 23:53

I had great success with just the minimum three 5 man units, bare bone. Point by point they are more or as resilient as a guard blob against many weapons. I kept them bare bones as even the 2 points for the venom blade are better spent elsewhere (for example an upgrade for you HQs). although I agree that both the venom blade and ossefactor are great, an additional blaster is just better if you put the points together. My wracks are just to soak firepower, screen, annoy and hold objectives and they do a great job in that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Uses of wracks? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uses of wracks?   Uses of wracks? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Uses of wracks?
Page 1 of 1