THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

General Wargear questions

Go down 
+3
Siticus the Ancient
Squidmaster
Artur_claro
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Artur_claro
Slave
Artur_claro

General Wargear questions Empty
PostSubject: General Wargear questions   General Wargear questions I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 24 2018, 20:43

I've tried to search lexicanum and the codex (8th only) about some of the wargear that the models wear, to no success. Please answer my questions if you can, maybe any of you read about at some point, older codexes, novels, etc. It would help with my modelling and painting to know "what the hell is this thing"?
1. What is the round shaped thing at the left shoulder, on every wych/kabalite model? It has a small cable running to the back. Would it be Wych only, I would assume it would be the drugs intake, but pretty much everyone has it
2. Again, about the armor, what lies in the back of every armour? it has a strange shape, is it power core as in the Mon-Keighs Marines? just a strange backpack? I can't figure it out.
3 . On the Splinter Rifle-pistol-cannon, what is the oval thing, in the middle? I saw in lexicanum it could be the disintegration generator or cyclic ammunition feeder. What does it disintegrate? And, why the small dots (3 visible in each weapon)?
4. Almost every infantry model carries these little tubes, alongside the knives and the small pouches. What are these tubes? They sure don't look like ammunition, but should be. And if it is, where in the splinter rifle-pistol do they enter? through the small dot on the back?
General Wargear questions <a href=General Wargear questions Backpa11" />General Wargear questions <a href=General Wargear questions Tubes10" />General Wargear questions <a href=General Wargear questions Should11" />General Wargear questions <a href=General Wargear questions Splint11" />
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: General Wargear questions   General Wargear questions I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 24 2018, 21:14

odd double post thing

Last edited by Squidmaster on Sat Nov 24 2018, 21:19; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: General Wargear questions   General Wargear questions I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 24 2018, 21:17

1. Combat Drug dispenser? It put me in mind of the tube Jem Hadar use to feed the White into their system (Star Trek Deep Space Nine).

2. I always figured they were vents of some kind, perhaps an energy system for the arnour.

3. The big things above the trigger? That is quite literally the amm0! I remember from older Codex, that thing is a matter-mass which is sort-of disintegrated and reformed into the shards/splinters fired.

4. Maybe drugs?

Artur_claro
Slave
Artur_claro

PostSubject: Re: General Wargear questions   General Wargear questions I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 24 2018, 21:34

Squidmaster wrote:
odd double post thing
is this a double post? sorry for that matter, i've joined recently and can only read so far Razz
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: General Wargear questions   General Wargear questions I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 25 2018, 13:35

1. & 2. They are combat drug canisters on the back and drug tube/dispenser on the shoulder, extending over heart and in some parts of the Warrior carapace. Since models always get made first, rules second, it's entirely possible the vision was for all Drukhari to use combat drugs - after all, it was a beloved 10 point option for Archons in 5e.

3. The big oval part in the center is the ammo canister where the poisoned mass for the splinters is held in their inert state, being formed into splinters upon firing. If you mean the three gem-like studs on the oval canister, they are common on all Aeldari tech and they can house anything from sensors to computing mechanisms, so I'd assume they are small computing nodes for the firing mechanism. If you mean the small bit with three distinct ribs over it, that's most likely a power cell for the mechanism.

4. Those are plasma grenades. Wyches and Scourges still have them, Warriors used to have them.

Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: General Wargear questions   General Wargear questions I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 25 2018, 14:16

Siticus the Ancient wrote:
4. Those are plasma grenades. Wyches and Scourges still have them, Warriors used to have them.

Are they?

General Wargear questions S-l300

To use the bottom left accessory piece as the example, you've got thr tubes on the right, and a greandy thing on the left.
I would say that the thing on the left is the Plasma Grenades. Meaning the tubes are something else, surely?

Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: General Wargear questions   General Wargear questions I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 25 2018, 18:40

Hmm, you are right. I always thought the rounder grenades were Haywire, but then again, Scourges never had that option (not that this has ever stopped GW, model comes first, rules only second after all). I always assumed they were grenades due to them being present on both Wyches and Kabalites, who had them as the default wargear in 5e.

But then that raises up the question: what's in those tubes?

Vorl-Xoelanth
Hellion
Vorl-Xoelanth

PostSubject: Re: General Wargear questions   General Wargear questions I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26 2018, 13:14

Artur_claro wrote:
1. What is the round shaped thing at the left shoulder, on every wych/kabalite model?

On wyches I treat it as a combat drug dispenser and cable to spread it to various parts of the body, on the wych models they have more of these cables going into their mask etc so they match the one on the shoulder, I paint them all acid green to inidicate this. With the Kabalites they also have a single cable on their shoulder as you say, I just assume they are similar to the combat drug dispenser but may be only provide regular drugs and concoctions produced by kabals/covens to help them in battle? Maybe something that heightens their senses or a mild healing salve but not on the same scale as the wych drugs. Ultimately I think its just a decorative feature to make the model more interesting.

Artur_claro wrote:
2. Again, about the armor, what lies in the back of every armour? it has a strange shape, is it power core as in the Mon-Keighs Marines? just a strange backpack? I can't figure it out.

I would say its an energy generator to power the sensors and other systems a being so high tech as an Eldar would have as standard in their armour.

Artur_claro wrote:
3 . On the Splinter Rifle-pistol-cannon, what is the oval thing, in the middle? I saw in lexicanum it could be the disintegration generator or cyclic ammunition feeder. What does it disintegrate? And, why the small dots (3 visible in each weapon)?

Its where the crystal is housed before it gets shattered into splinters that get rifled out the barrel. The dots on the gun are found all over the dark eldar range, I would say they are decorative features by the sculptors and have no official lore explanation. The gun would look more boring without them.

Artur_claro wrote:
4. Almost every infantry model carries these little tubes, alongside the knives and the small pouches. What are these tubes? They sure don't look like ammunition, but should be. And if it is, where in the splinter rifle-pistol do they enter? through the small dot on the back?

I treat them as ammo cells, or maybe batteries that power the gun, either way I paint them the same colour green with yellow highlights like I do the barrels to link the two and add a nice distinct tertiary colour element that stands out. I just makes the models look more diverse and realistic.

'Pain is power, and power is everything. We therefore seek every opportunity to inflict pain, and we do not allow limits to be imposed upon our imagination. The Flesh, the Mind, the Soul - all can be made to feel torments eternal. And when all three scream in agony within a single being, the path to immortality lies open before us. So it has been since the beginning, and so it will continue until we extinguish the stars and the galaxy lies dark and fallow.' - Mantra of the Kabal of the Dying Sun
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: General Wargear questions   General Wargear questions I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26 2018, 17:31

I always thought the silver cylinders where ammo, as splinter guns are round.

Drukhari: 10k+
SoB: 3k
AoS: BoC 9k, CoS 3k
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: General Wargear questions   General Wargear questions I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26 2018, 18:51

Maybe they're flasks.

Like, Aeldari thermos flasks? Filled with a nice Commorite Tea?

Artur_claro
Slave
Artur_claro

PostSubject: Re: General Wargear questions   General Wargear questions I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26 2018, 21:48

it's the only remaining mystery on this topic. Guess I'll just paint them metallic. They could be adrenaline shots, like the ones you see in the movies. They could enhance combat, or the thriil of it. They do have this tiny spikes on the top
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: General Wargear questions   General Wargear questions I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26 2018, 22:20

They're bottles of Voss, except they're filled with the tears of lesser races.

Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: General Wargear questions   General Wargear questions I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27 2018, 09:38

Siticus the Ancient wrote:
They're bottles of Voss, except they're filled with the tears of lesser races.

Great.
Now I need a mug with "Mon'keigh Tears" written on it.

amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: General Wargear questions   General Wargear questions I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27 2018, 11:23

GW painted them metallic if that helps lol

Drukhari: 10k+
SoB: 3k
AoS: BoC 9k, CoS 3k
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: General Wargear questions   General Wargear questions I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28 2018, 22:12

Artur_claro wrote:
I've tried to search lexicanum and the codex (8th only) about some of the wargear that the models wear, to no success. Please answer my questions if you can, maybe any of you read about at some point, older codexes, novels, etc. It would help with my modelling and painting to know "what the hell is this thing"?
1. What is the round shaped thing at the left shoulder, on every wych/kabalite model? It has a small cable running to the back. Would it be Wych only, I would assume it would be the drugs intake, but pretty much everyone has it

Drug dispenser. Even the normal DE have the capacity for it, it's just that they don't usually have access to drugs themselves (or drugs that would affect their stats).

Quote :

Storage space. For zero-atmo engagements or engagements in hostile environs, it can hold air, or extra drugs, what have you. Guys with ammo/grenade belts have just filled this space already.

Quote :

Ammo housing. In the ammo-less weapons, this houses the generator for the firing charge. (Generally speaking.)

Quote :

Ammo, usually. They do indeed load from the dot. (The rifle has a break in it you can't see.)

These are my best answers from what I've seen/read.
Back to top Go down
koski
Slave
koski

PostSubject: Re: General Wargear questions   General Wargear questions I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04 2019, 12:37

1. Looking at the concept art for the Drukhari, it says "Translator/Combat drug pouch".
You can find the art in the Dark city wiki > Dark eldar concept art section. Its the very first sketch.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Wargear questions   General Wargear questions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Wargear questions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

OTHER DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Background
-
Jump to: