THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear

Go down 
+3
HERO
AlCorps
GreyArea
7 posters
AuthorMessage
GreyArea
Kabalite Warrior
GreyArea

Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear Empty
PostSubject: Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear   Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27 2018, 11:42

So I'm looking at the voidraven bomber and it's void mine. I'm thinking that is a super way to get past grot shielding and help mince a squad of lootas. It kills an average of 113 points of lootas with that alone turn one.

My question is what other weapons I should take with it? Has anyone mathhammered the void lance Vs dark scythes? Eyeballing it the void lance looks straight up better against anything except infantry but I'm not sure. I'm leaning towards not getting the missiles to keep the cost low for what is a mine delivery system, but what are you people thinking?
Back to top Go down
AlCorps
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear   Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27 2018, 13:04

The Dark Scythes are more useful against most targets except Knights, the extra shots offset the lower damage. If you are planning to bomb infantry, then you are often shooting infantry that turn too.
The missiles are generally worth the points to kill an extra few models or take wounds off vehicles. The base cost is so high (compared to our other vehicles) that that extra 10 points for missiles isn't that big a deal.
Back to top Go down
HERO
Hekatrix
HERO

PostSubject: Re: Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear   Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29 2018, 02:34

IMO, you should compare it directly to Eldar flyers and ask yourself if the points is worth it.

At 165 points with missiles, it's decent, but I wouldn't take it over a Crimson Hunter Exarch for the same points using Starcannons; or 10 points more for 2x Bright Lances and 1x Pulse Laser with Wings of Khaine.

Hekatrix
Cerve

PostSubject: Re: Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear   Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 01 2018, 13:57

Kill the Grots!
Back to top Go down
Gizamaluke
Sybarite
Gizamaluke

PostSubject: Re: Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear   Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02 2018, 00:44

Throw some Wyches at em, 10 Cult of Strife Wyches with a powersword, 3 hydra gauntlets, +1A drugs and architects of pain to get WS2+ asap kills 25 grots on average without factoring in reroll wounds or a succubus to reroll 1s OR any shooting or PGL for mortal wounds/extra moral damage.

The Voidraven is great but there's more effective ways of dealing with a screen than void bombs.
Back to top Go down
GreyArea
Kabalite Warrior
GreyArea

PostSubject: Re: Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear   Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02 2018, 10:21

Wyches have to be run all the way to them. The lootas are gonna be at the back and if you're using wyches they are getting off at least 2 rounds of shooting before you touch them. Added to that the fact wyches will be quickly shot to death by any Ork player worth their salt. Boys with shootas make short work of wyches out of combat.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Gizamaluke
Sybarite
Gizamaluke

PostSubject: Re: Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear   Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02 2018, 12:15

I've had great success with my Wyches vs Orks against people I'd consider good players, but they ran their orks with Choppas & Sluggas. Also, any player worth their salt as you put it is gonna screen around the lootas leaving no space for the void raven to fly over the lootas and there is always the chance your one use mine could whiff. I love the void raven and run one in most lists and the mine is great, just seems like it's an expensive answer to killing 7 lootas. Just My opinion of course.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear   Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 02 2018, 20:50

AoV it... lol

Drukhari: 10k+
SoB: 3k
AoS: BoC 9k, CoS 3k
Back to top Go down
GreyArea
Kabalite Warrior
GreyArea

PostSubject: Re: Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear   Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03 2018, 11:07

I mean AoV it is also a great choice and is the way I do it right now. I was more looking for other options as I've switched to a low cp list and don't like using half them on one thing. I might still prefer AoV and shooting the lootas in the end.

In answer to the bomber being an expensive answer I agree. If it was only doing that it wouldn't be worth it. But it is still around and shooting afterwards. I think it's harder to kill the bomber with its minus to hit and invulnerable rather than a relatively slow wyche blob that is very weak to shooting. I think I'll try your wyche idea out and see how my opponents react, no way for me to know until I try it 😁

The other thing I like is that the bombers guns help against knight lists if your bringing it to a tournament so it has that flexibility.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear   Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04 2018, 01:09

Mandrakes can do MW's and are descent at shooting/melee but kinda of a 1 hit wonder.

I think Wyches might be your best bet currently.

Back to top Go down
GreyArea
Kabalite Warrior
GreyArea

PostSubject: Re: Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear   Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05 2018, 11:36

amishprn86 wrote:
Mandrakes can do MW's and are descent at shooting/melee but kinda of a 1 hit wonder.

I think Wyches might be your best bet currently.

Do MW bypass grot shielding? Did they FAQ that or something?

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear   Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05 2018, 17:37

Use this Stratagem after a <CLAN> INFANTRY unit
from your army (excluding units comprised entirely of
GRETCHIN models) has been hit by a ranged weapon. Until
the end of the phase, you can roll a D6 each time a model
from that unit loses a wound if there is a friendly unit
comprised entirely of <CLAN> GRETCHIN INFANTRY models
within 6" of it, and the GRETCHIN unit is closer to the
attacking model than the target.
On a 2+ the original model
does not lose that wound but one model in that GRETCHIN
unit (your choice) is slain. Otherwise, the model loses the
wound as normal.

So, to be clear, the MW is just an added wound, but the important part is bold in red.

Mandrakes can ignore that part of the rule easily and now they dont get to use it.

Unless they are fully bubble wrapping the unit, in that case, just kill the Gretchen super fast, or just focus 1000 shots into the middle important unit and kill both at once.

Shredders work well too, Scourges, trueborn, etc...

Back to top Go down
Kantalla
Wych
Kantalla

PostSubject: Re: Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear   Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05 2018, 19:32

The original premise of using the Void Mine seems a good idea, but if positioned against an edge or the area behind the Lootas isn't available, perhaps because there are a squillion Orks ready to Da Jump out of there, the Mine can't be used.

Otherwise, Vect, or deep strike seems a good option.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear   Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Answer to grot shielding??? Voidraven gear
Page 1 of 1