THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy)

Go down 
+3
Ciirian
Local_Ork
Evil Space Elves
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) Empty
PostSubject: Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy)   Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30 2011, 03:33

Had a request on the painting log asking how I did my bases. They are really fast, really cheap to do.
Materials:
-Cut up sprue material.
-Plastic tube covers that come on paint brushes
-Any sort of basing "gravel". I use Woodland Scenics brand. (Train modeling)
-Sheets of styrene sheet. (Available at modeling shops. Usually about $3.00USD for a 1'X6" square. Sorry no metric measurement: We Americans are baffled by the metric system Rolling Eyes )
-I also bought one of the City Fight Manufactorium buildings years ago. I've been cutting up the floor pieces for years to base models higher and for larger models.
-regular Super Glue. I use Instacure brand, but use whatever is clever for you.
Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) 2011-11-29_18-34-21_836

the last ingredient is fine ballast from Woodland Scenics. This is the new bag that I bought to replace the bag that I am almost at the end of. I bought the old bag in 2000 for $5USD. This is the 6th army that I have based in this way. That's less than a dollar per army for this stuff. CHEAP!
Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) 2011-11-29_18-34-29_519
I then put a layer of Superglue on the base and put down the sheet chunks and sprue pieces.

For models that I don't plan to elevate on the base I start by cutting up small sections of the styrene sheet to make wall chunks.
Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) 2011-11-29_18-37-00_733Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) 2011-11-29_18-38-17_851

I then sprinkle some of the "gravel" while the layer of glue is still wet. Doesn't matter what color as I prime and paint it anyways.
Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) 2011-11-29_18-40-07_968

Last step-I then dip the model into a bag of the fine ballast. Pull it out, shake off excess. Sometimes I will add a spot of Superglue here and there as needed and re-dip the base into the ballast.

Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) 2011-11-29_18-41-32_409Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) 2011-11-29_18-40-53_477

Voila. If I want to elevate the model on the base (Why are characters in the 40k universe always standing on something tall during battles? Razz ) I usually just cut up a chink of one of the City Fight floor sections. The "random pipe jutting out of the ground" effect is achieved by cutting the clear tube cover that comes with paint brushes at an angle.
Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) 2011-11-29_18-42-42_32

Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) 2011-11-29_18-44-07_820
That's it. Seriously. It is cheap as Hell and is easy to do. I'll post how to paint them up tomorrow.

Enjoy!

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy)   Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30 2011, 10:57

instead of plasticard, You can use CD boxes or even CD itself.
Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPvwe4CIkjXpTOHyibIJ4wrDcSNWxkxpbtaV5HDOn1DATiQd8H

Also, tree bark
Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) 621001-tree-bark

All of those can be found for "free"
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy)   Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30 2011, 14:11

I use tree bark all the time. I prefer styrene over harder plastics because you can "tear" it apart with clippers. It's not as brittle. Good call though LO.

Back to top Go down
Ciirian
Sybarite
Ciirian

PostSubject: Re: Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy)   Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30 2011, 14:28

Bases are beautiful and seem much simplier than I had thought.

Great work, wish I thought out my basing better. All I did was glue GW sand down to the bases with the plan to paint and flock.
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy)   Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30 2011, 14:28

Good call about differences between plasticard and CD-boxes ESE.

I like CD boxes more because they crackle like "concrete" rather than bend&snap like "metal". However it's matter of preferences.

Gonna hook this to Tutorials...
Back to top Go down
Angrypeasant
Hellion
Angrypeasant

PostSubject: Re: Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy)   Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30 2011, 16:28

Great tutorial ESE. Smile

Another thing that I found works well are chopped up pieces of bases, and sprue bits. I had to rebase 40 odd skaven, and as a result of that, I had all of these slices of base materials. I used a combination of the bases, and some of the GF9 basing material.

Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) DSC_0698

(please ignore my banner... its a WIP!)
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy)   Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30 2011, 22:19

Cut up sprue bits are your friend for sure!
Nice Doomwheel. Makes me want to play Skaven!

Back to top Go down
Angrypeasant
Hellion
Angrypeasant

PostSubject: Re: Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy)   Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30 2011, 23:07

Thanks Smile

I finally got around to updating my signature... feel free to take a peek at the other Skaven pics!

Skaven Blog
Back to top Go down
Dez
Kabalite Warrior
Dez

PostSubject: Re: Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy)   Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30 2011, 23:14

That's how I do my bases too, I love the way it comes out. Another item I use with sprue is a coffee grinder (DO NOT USE IT WITH FOOD AFTER) to make a nice texture:

Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) Bodum-cmill-blade-coffee-grinder-567901us
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy)   Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 01 2011, 03:22

Grrr, I tried the coffee grinder idea once after someone suggested it on another forum. The finer plastic particles found their way down into the gubbinz Suspect

I do my bases essentially the same ESE, some superglue and then a dip in a ziplock bag mix of different sized ballast from Woodland scenics. Little pieces of urban terrain or Beakie/IG vehicles also get used.

For rocks, I often use plaster, just the cheap, quick-dry stuff from any hobby store. I pour a thin layer into the bottom of a Tupperware container, wait 10 minutes for it to set, then bang it out, toss it into a ziplock bag, and then smack that against something to break it into smaller chunks. It glues down quick and easy with superglue as well, and then I add ballast around it.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy)   Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 01 2011, 04:31

I like the plaster idea.
@dez-coffee grinder? Sacrilege!
Wanted to post the quick paint of these bases.
-Materials:
Adeptus Grey, Codex Grey, Fortress Grey, rotting Flesh
Two Tank Brushes
Thinned Brown ink-Not a fan of washes for bases. I use Citadel wash for a lot of things, but I've never been happy with it for painting bases.
Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) 2011-11-29_17-58-28_272

I do a quick drybrush with Adeptus followed by Codex Grey using the same brush.
Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) 2011-11-29_18-02-15_879

sometimes I get lazy and use the same brush throughout, but I usually switch to the second tank brush and do a quick and light drybrush with Fortress Grey and Rotting Flesh.

Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) 2011-11-29_18-06-20_841

I then paint any metal details or other stuff at this point. I use Boltgun Metal thinned with a little Badab Black wash and Gnarlac Green patched on the pipe.
Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) 2011-11-29_18-17-16_581

I then wash this down with the thinned Brown Ink. (The Wrack's base has been washed in this pic, the Grot's not)
Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) 2011-11-29_18-20-21_899

After this dries I usually do a little more to "weather up" the bases. I usually hit the bases with a little Vallejo pigment powder and Devlan Mud to get a rusty, dirty look.

That's it. These two models took about 5 minutes. When they dry it will take another 3-5 to do the weathering. I usually paint about 3-4 models at a time but sometimes do a whole unit of 10 before doing the other paint.

Hope this is helpful!

Back to top Go down
masamune
Sybarite
masamune

PostSubject: Re: Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy)   Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 12 2017, 16:11

Ahhhhhhh, old school basing.

I still got a big bag of "basing stuff" and I'm still using them to do my base.
I just find that this add much more quality to the base, and the feeling of making it from A to Z (well, without the sculpting but hey, i suck at that :/).

If I remeber it I'll post some of my bases done with most of the same techniques.

Also : don't forget you can add wood glue or still water to get a trasnparent layer.
This way, it's easy to add some water to your base :
- between 2 rocks,
- or split your base in 2 : One upper part with debris, one lowa part with water ; hell, you can even add a pipe and make it a sewer exit)

Sorry for unburrying such an old post (IK it's discouraged in Forum rules Sad ) but it really made my day.

Edit :
Here's several examples using more or less the same techniques, + using some raw slate
Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) DSC_0536
Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) DSC_0571
Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) DSC_0585
Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) DSC_0588
Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) DSC_0627
Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) DSC_0656
Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) DSC_0696

Don't hesitate to ask me if you have some questions Wink

Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) 19121d10 Dark eldars ~4k points / Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) 4eef2c10 Battle sisters ~2k points
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy)   Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Urban ruin bases on the cheap.(Pic heavy)
Page 1 of 1