THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

How does one paint a Razorwing sans Airbrush?

Go down 
+3
Gobsmakked
Siticus the Ancient
Raucir Lustingclaw
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Raucir Lustingclaw
Kabalite Warrior
Raucir Lustingclaw

How does one paint a Razorwing sans Airbrush? Empty
PostSubject: How does one paint a Razorwing sans Airbrush?   How does one paint a Razorwing sans Airbrush? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 02 2011, 14:45

The title says it all, really.

Some of us, while happy to drop £130 on the new Megaforce (It will be mine!) can't bring themselves to get an airbrush. In my case it's a combination of funding and total inexperience, as well as a general unwillingness to use fancier methods of painting.

So does anyone have any tips for painting this beautiful model without an airbrush? Obviously the first thing that springs to mind is to start slapping thinned paint on with a tank brush until I get the colour I'm after, but if anyone has any advice it would be reatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Raucir

Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: How does one paint a Razorwing sans Airbrush?   How does one paint a Razorwing sans Airbrush? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 02 2011, 14:58

Well, I painted mine with a black spray for basecoat, then tons of layers of drybrush (I think about four in total), then applied details as usual. I can offer a grainy shot of how it looks, don't have any other pictures with a better camera, I'm afraid.

How does one paint a Razorwing sans Airbrush? Photo-0028
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: How does one paint a Razorwing sans Airbrush?   How does one paint a Razorwing sans Airbrush? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 02 2011, 18:19

I just used thinned-down paints with a quasi tank brush on a white primer. I was able to get a very good finish quite quickly and easily, despite the fact that I was using a fairly light-coloured metallic paint. Not the easiest choice.

It doesn't look airbrushed, but it does look pretty good in the flesh.

BTW - Siticus, yours looks great!

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: How does one paint a Razorwing sans Airbrush?   How does one paint a Razorwing sans Airbrush? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 02 2011, 19:43

Spray cans. Will stink but also will work.
https://thedarkcity.forummotion.com/t692-industrial-zone-board-wip-notairbrushed-junk

I used black, white and yellow (also have unopened silver, red and blue) to... hurr... not-make my Industrial gaming board. I just can't imagine painting A LOT of HUGE terrain pieces with "lil' paint-spitta".

Same techniques as with airbrush, except paint dry longer and You must use colour from can.
Back to top Go down
Rip
Hellion
Rip

PostSubject: Re: How does one paint a Razorwing sans Airbrush?   How does one paint a Razorwing sans Airbrush? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06 2011, 22:21

I used the large drybrush, which got a good finish.

Kabal of the Poisoned Tongue / Cult of the Thirsting Blade / The Architects of Flesh
Zahr-Tann Craftworld
Sa'cea Sept
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: How does one paint a Razorwing sans Airbrush?   How does one paint a Razorwing sans Airbrush? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07 2011, 00:28

Raucir Lustingclaw wrote:

So does anyone have any tips for painting this beautiful model without an airbrush?

Blackmail someone else into painting it? Razz
Seriously-buying an airbrush has probably saved me a couple hundred hours over painting several armies, and I don't even use it that much.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: How does one paint a Razorwing sans Airbrush?   How does one paint a Razorwing sans Airbrush? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09 2011, 10:02

You will eventually over the years of hobby spend more on spray cans that on OK airbrush.

And besides - DE army is just made for airbrush , its so damn easy and fast to paint raiders , venoms and razorwings with it , with all their curves there is just natural blends apearing without any effort.
You simply need white first layer and second another chosen layer , and regulate how thick is second layer.And thats all airbrushing needed to be done. With brush its hours , even days.
With airbrush it take less than hour.

I took this kit Valejo Airbrush Kit for 143 pounds , and never once did i asked was it worth it. It certainly is.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How does one paint a Razorwing sans Airbrush?   How does one paint a Razorwing sans Airbrush? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How does one paint a Razorwing sans Airbrush?
Page 1 of 1