THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Apocalyptically Sneaky Dark Eldar Tactic

Go down 
+3
Myrvn
amishprn86
Drager
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Drager
Hellion

Apocalyptically Sneaky Dark Eldar Tactic Empty
PostSubject: Apocalyptically Sneaky Dark Eldar Tactic   Apocalyptically Sneaky Dark Eldar Tactic I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 13 2019, 15:24

I've been messing around with a few lists and played a few games of 100-150 PL Apoc now and I've come across a tactic that is really working well for me. It's high risk/reward, but that's what you want from DE, right?

If you take 2 detachments and place all the transports in one and all the Kabalites in the other, the Kabalites can be given Aimed Fire, whilst the Transports are given Advance. Further, you can make them different sub-factions and benefit from different command assets. Example below:

Outrider Detachment 50 PL
Flayed Skull Archon
4x 3 Reavers
4x Flayed Skull Venom
1 Flayed Skull Raider

Battalion Detachment 14 PL
Poison Tongue Archon
5x Poison Tongue Kabalites

That's 64 PL and gives you the ability to melt any personnel with plenty of points left over for other detachments to deal with armour. The Flayed Skull detachment can use Slay From the Skies to get a 32" move on the Venoms on an advance, whilst Poison Tongue have The Serpent's Kiss for +1 to Wound. Reavers are my choice for the other units necessary to fit as they can keep up, even on a turn using Slay (though they'll only move 20" they can stay in command range).

At long-range (36") this set up puts out 9 BS3+ SAP 5+ shots (about 4 blasts)
At long-medium (24") it's 13 BS3+ SAP 5+ shots and 5 BS2+ SAP 5+ shots (about 8.5 blasts)
At medium-short (18") it's 21 BS3+ SAP 5+ shots and 5 BS2+ SAP 5+ shots (about 12 blasts)
At short range (12") its a staggering 25 BS3+ SAP 5+ shots and 10 BS2+ SAP 5+ shots (about 16.5 blasts)

It can also be split up into 18 different packages of damage spread across different targets. That's some pretty incredible firepower. You're looking at reliably taking out 8 infantry squads (24 PL) or 2 -3 Stormshield Terminator Assualt Squads (18-27 PL) in a single volley. a 50% return in one volley seems exceptional in Apocalypse.

On top of that this formation is extremely fast and (if you disembark when needed) has Obsec on the troops. So, what's the downside? If the transport gets destroyed any units using Aimed Fire on board die automatically, so... pick the time to go full firepower wisely.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: Apocalyptically Sneaky Dark Eldar Tactic   Apocalyptically Sneaky Dark Eldar Tactic I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16 2019, 10:29

Yeah that is a dirty tactic.

Drukhari: 10k+
SoB: 3k
AoS: BoC 9k, CoS 3k
Back to top Go down
Myrvn
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Apocalyptically Sneaky Dark Eldar Tactic   Apocalyptically Sneaky Dark Eldar Tactic I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17 2019, 22:23

I'm missing something. Why do the aimed fire guys inside die automatically?
Back to top Go down
Gorgon
Hellion
Gorgon

PostSubject: Re: Apocalyptically Sneaky Dark Eldar Tactic   Apocalyptically Sneaky Dark Eldar Tactic I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18 2019, 01:20

I don't believe the unit is destroyed. I think the confusion comes from the transport rules where it says if you are "carrying out an aimed fire order", you can't disembark, and that if you can't disembark you're destroyed. However since the damage phase occurs after the action phase, and the action phase rules say "when all of a detachments actions have been made, the order has been carried out" I think that means that the embarked unit isn't aiming in the damage phase. Unless I'm missing something.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Myrvn
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Apocalyptically Sneaky Dark Eldar Tactic   Apocalyptically Sneaky Dark Eldar Tactic I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18 2019, 05:21

My non expert opinion after reading it again is that a destroyed transport would give a free action to disembark.
Back to top Go down
Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

PostSubject: Re: Apocalyptically Sneaky Dark Eldar Tactic   Apocalyptically Sneaky Dark Eldar Tactic I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31 2019, 11:26

Yeah, you get a free disembark actions. Or even better, you're FORCED to disembark when the the transport is destroyed.

Back to top Go down
Doomseer92Y
Slave
Doomseer92Y

PostSubject: Re: Apocalyptically Sneaky Dark Eldar Tactic   Apocalyptically Sneaky Dark Eldar Tactic I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 20 2020, 19:22

How are you getting 32” moves with a venom? Slay from the skies yields a 3” addition to movement... I’m confused.
Back to top Go down
Sarcron
Sybarite
Sarcron

PostSubject: Re: Apocalyptically Sneaky Dark Eldar Tactic   Apocalyptically Sneaky Dark Eldar Tactic I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 20 2020, 20:07

He's using the advance order on the venoms- giving them a double move.

Sarcron
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Apocalyptically Sneaky Dark Eldar Tactic   Apocalyptically Sneaky Dark Eldar Tactic I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Apocalyptically Sneaky Dark Eldar Tactic
Page 1 of 1