THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Help me deal with OVERWATCH

Go down 
+4
Archon
False Son
Skulnbonz
SirTainly
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Archon
Kabalite Warrior
Archon

Help me deal with OVERWATCH Empty
PostSubject: Help me deal with OVERWATCH   Help me deal with OVERWATCH I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05 2020, 15:36

I am just getting back into gaming after a short absence. I have always concentrated my efforts on the assault phase, but I find I am losing too many models to OVERWATCH for my assaults to be effective. On a ten man squad, I regularly lose 3-5 models, which seams high. I know I will need to re-balance my list to focus more on shooting and less on assault, but I don't want to abandon my Wych units.

The only counter I have found is to assault with a tar-pit unit like Wracks or Wyches and then bring in an Archon/Succubus/Heamonculus/Incubi the next turn.

Recently I thought about charging with the Transport first. Hoping the Raider/Venom will survive OVERWATCH then declaring a charge with the assault unit it was carrying. I have not been able to try this in game yet. (and it might be a little cheesy.)

My most common opponents are Primaris Marines, Adeptus Mechanincus, and Tau.

How is the rest of the Dark City dealing with OVERWATCH?
Back to top Go down
SirTainly
Sybarite
SirTainly

PostSubject: Re: Help me deal with OVERWATCH   Help me deal with OVERWATCH I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05 2020, 15:48

What are they firing to get that many hits on you?

Off the top of my head

hit them with a Haemonculus with vexator mask first - stops overwatch
charge from out of sight so they don't get overwatch on you - easier if you're playing ITC
Back to top Go down
http://fortwargame.blogspot.com/
Archon
Kabalite Warrior
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Help me deal with OVERWATCH   Help me deal with OVERWATCH I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05 2020, 17:24

Rapid-Fire weapons and Flamers seam to be the worst. My opponents always get lucky on the hit rolls during Overwatch.

CHARGE FROM OUT OF SIGHT! Of Course! It's so oblivious, I can't believe I didn't see it! (See what I did there? tongue )

OVERWATCH happens when you declare the charge, not when you move the models into base contact, so if no line of sight when declaring, no OVERWATCH. Please fill me in if this statement is not correct in any way.

This is the answer I have been looking for, and should help me bring back a strong Assault Phase. Thank You.
Back to top Go down
Skulnbonz
Hekatrix
Skulnbonz

PostSubject: Re: Help me deal with OVERWATCH   Help me deal with OVERWATCH I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05 2020, 17:28

Archon wrote:
I thought about charging with the Transport first.   (and it might be a little cheesy.)
Since when is making a smart move allowed by the rules cheesy?
I ALWAYS charge my raiders in first. It is ridiculous not to.

Archon
Kabalite Warrior
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Help me deal with OVERWATCH   Help me deal with OVERWATCH I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05 2020, 18:19

A good tactic for spots without terrain to block line of sight, then!
Back to top Go down
False Son
Sybarite
False Son

PostSubject: Re: Help me deal with OVERWATCH   Help me deal with OVERWATCH I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05 2020, 18:31

Charge from 8.1 inches. No flamers. Still requires an 8+ to charge. Shouldn't be a problem with rerolls.

Clawed Fiends are basically made for absorbing Overwatch.

All else fails, send in the Archon first. Shadowfields are way more durable than anything our other melee units have.
Back to top Go down
Archon
Kabalite Warrior
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Help me deal with OVERWATCH   Help me deal with OVERWATCH I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05 2020, 18:59

Great advice fellow Archons/Succubi. I haven't played many games in 8th yet, but no matter how bad my opponents dice have been when rolling for Overwatch those 6's keep coming up like crazy! And, I haven't quite got my head out of 6th/7th edition, yet.

Thank You all for such quick help!
Back to top Go down
sumguy777
Kabalite Warrior
sumguy777

PostSubject: Re: Help me deal with OVERWATCH   Help me deal with OVERWATCH I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 06 2020, 03:38

harleys have a relic, vexator mask (prophet of flesh on heamy), banshees from eldar, (there is an HQ with a bansheee mask as well), charge out of sight (my fav), charge with the transport (most commonly used plus our transports arnt terrible in CC)
Back to top Go down
El_Jairo
Kabalite Warrior
El_Jairo

PostSubject: Re: Help me deal with OVERWATCH   Help me deal with OVERWATCH I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15 2020, 18:03

As I have heard, once you are in a ruin you cant' shoot out of it but also can't be shot at but still can charge out of it.

Or was that only in ITC rules?
Back to top Go down
Sarcron
Sybarite
Sarcron

PostSubject: Re: Help me deal with OVERWATCH   Help me deal with OVERWATCH I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 15 2020, 20:15

I've never heard any such rule, it's certainly not a normal rule for ruins

Sarcron
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: Help me deal with OVERWATCH   Help me deal with OVERWATCH I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 16 2020, 15:58

ITC rules are that bottom floors of ruins are "magic", and you cannot shoot into/out of. But that is ITC only (cant find the link, this rule is not mentioned in the Rule Pack).

Please dont forget that the Vexator Mask does not shut down Tau shooting For The Greater Good (where units within 6" get to shoot also), only the unit you are charging with.

Yes, you 100% should be charging in with your venoms/raiders before your squishy troops attempt a charge. You will occasionally loose a vehicle, but our vehicles get their S4 AP-1 attacks which can put an additional wound on the enemy (and you are legally required to laugh maniacally when this happens).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me deal with OVERWATCH   Help me deal with OVERWATCH I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help me deal with OVERWATCH
Page 1 of 1