THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Archon Court

Go down 
+6
fisheyes
Darklord
Cerve
amishprn86
dumpeal
Green Envy
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Green Envy
Slave
Green Envy

Archon Court  Empty
PostSubject: Archon Court    Archon Court  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11 2020, 21:48

I have not heard the reason why the Archon Court so great. Can some enlighten me why people are going crazy over this unit.
Back to top Go down
dumpeal
Hekatrix
dumpeal

Archon Court  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archon Court    Archon Court  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11 2020, 22:37

Green Envy wrote:
I have not heard the reason why the Archon Court so great.  Can some enlighten me why people are going crazy over this unit.

They are not great.
Back to top Go down
sekac
Wych
sekac

Archon Court  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archon Court    Archon Court  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12 2020, 02:21

Green Envy wrote:
I have not heard the reason why the Archon Court so great.  Can some enlighten me why people are going crazy over this unit.

They are an efficient use of points compared to the effect they might have.

-They are the cheapest points per wound in the entire codex by a lot.

-With the smaller board sizes and the value of seep strike, restricting deep strike options is more important and viable than ever. Each court model is basically a 19" diameter frisbee where people aren't allowed to deep strike or come in from strategic reserves.

-Considering how bad the Look Out Sir rules are for us, the Sslyth offers some protection.

-Being so cheap and generally bad at stuff, they can help us accomplish secondaries (performing actions) while allocating the fewest possible points to the task.

-If you feel like piling HQs into a venom and it blows up, you can sacrifice a court model when you roll a 1.

-Sslyth PARTY BUS (not legal outside of friendly games)!

They aren't "good" in a traditional sense. But this edition is designed to make infantry bad but punish you for not using infantry in spite of how bad they are (I feel like it's especially true for our army). Court doesn't change that equation, but they allow us to participate in the "you must have infantry" paradigm, while not pouring too many points into our overpriced troops choices.

I don't think they are mandatory, but considering how overpriced our troops are, taking 2 sslyth and an ur-ghul/lhamaean for 58 points is always better than 5 wyches. Much, much better defense and equally negligible offense.

Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

Archon Court  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archon Court    Archon Court  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12 2020, 02:55

They are cheap infantry single models, people are trying to use them to do secondaries that needs infantry, so they stand behind walls and activate. But everything in game can kill them and if you take to many you give up other secondaries. So it is a fine line on how many you want. I have tried it a few times and honestly it didn't work to well. If your opponent isn't using new tactical reserves, using scouts and fast units, has sometype of cheap ignore LoS unit, then yes it will work, but honestly they are not playing 9th yet and are still stuck in 8th so really anything will work vs them.

Drukhari: 10k+
SoB: 3k
AoS: BoC 9k, CoS 3k
Back to top Go down
Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

Archon Court  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archon Court    Archon Court  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12 2020, 08:17

More than "Court" I would say "Sslyth. The 4th member is free choice.
21 points for 3W T5 5++/6+++, single model, Infantry. In a game where spreading around the table, doing missions and taking objectives is the mandatory.

That's enough for me.to bring them into every list. If they still alive the do VPs. If the opponent kills them, he will always overkill them or he will understimate them. It's more difficult than you can think killing one of those things without wasting too much efforts (which is why they're good).

A tip: ignore the Archon aura. Spread them on the table, make.them.difficult to.be killed. Force the enemy to move into them, draw him where you want. They're just too cheap for what they are (45 poins 1 Grot, 32/35 I can't remember for a Clawed Fiend, 21 for a Sslyth).
Just try them as single scout, they're more like tokens that move, hide, sometimes.pinning something in melee...I'm in love with them
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

Archon Court  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archon Court    Archon Court  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12 2020, 12:48

How many Court models can we take per Archon?

Battlescribe was implying that you can only take 1 Sslyth per Archon, but I couldent find any back up to support this in the Codex or FAQ.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

Archon Court  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archon Court    Archon Court  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12 2020, 12:51

4 Court per Detachment if it has an Archon, but Ro3 is still a thing.
Edit: pg 114 in codex

Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

Archon Court  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archon Court    Archon Court  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12 2020, 12:53

TY for that @amishprn86, I knew it was in there somewhere but just couldent find it.
Back to top Go down
Darklord
Hellion
Darklord

Archon Court  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archon Court    Archon Court  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12 2020, 14:00

For one Archon, do you thing we cant take four times the same model (4 sslyth or 4 Ur-ghuls)?
Or we are restricted to three by the V9 rules?
Back to top Go down
Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

Archon Court  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archon Court    Archon Court  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13 2020, 08:58

We are restricted to the three.
Back to top Go down
Darklord
Hellion
Darklord

Archon Court  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archon Court    Archon Court  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14 2020, 16:13

Last Friday, I used 2 Ur-ghuls in 1000pts battle against Admech, mission Crossfire .
First Turn they disembarked from Archon's Raider and ran out of view within 3" of two objectifs.
And all others units may have attacked AdMech Castle.

I was a little lucky it works. It was the first battle in V9 for my opponent and he choosed good deployment zone for me.
But next time I'll try it again.
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

Archon Court  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archon Court    Archon Court  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14 2020, 16:33

These small units who run around and occupy space are VERY important in 9th.

We are actually very lucky to have the Court this edition. The units are even "Infantry", so that we can perform Actions (unlike Tau Drone teams, Tyranid Spore Mines, etc).

I think these guys are basically required in 9th. In smaller games they make an even bigger difference.
Back to top Go down
Oaka
Kabalite Warrior
Oaka

Archon Court  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archon Court    Archon Court  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14 2020, 16:56

fisheyes wrote:
These small units who run around and occupy space are VERY important in 9th.

This is so true. My first game against deepstriking Eradicators, they came in behind my Taloi within melta range and obliterated them. Next game, I ran a couple Ur-Ghul hiding in a Raider that disembarked and spread out to prevent deepstrike- huge difference.
Back to top Go down
Sensei
Hellion
Sensei

Archon Court  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archon Court    Archon Court  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24 2020, 22:22

amishprn86 wrote:

Looking for clarification on what you mean by Ro3. From what I can tell, Court models are limited to 4/detachment with an archon. The limit of 3 beast models applies to beasts that would go with a beastmaster (razorwing flocks, clawed fiends and khymera), but none of the Court models have the "beast" distinction unless I'm missing something?
Back to top Go down
sekac
Wych
sekac

Archon Court  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archon Court    Archon Court  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24 2020, 22:25

Sensei wrote:
amishprn86 wrote:

Looking for clarification on what you mean by Ro3. From what I can tell, Court models are limited to 4/detachment with an archon. The limit of 3 beast models applies to beasts that would go with a beastmaster (razorwing flocks, clawed fiends and khymera), but none of the Court models have the "beast" distinction unless I'm missing something?

Rule of 3 is a rule limiting the number of identical non-troop, non-transport units to 3, no matter how your detachments are organized.

You can have 3 patrols of Black Heart Kabal for instance, but a total of 3 ravagers, despite having 6 available heavy support slots.

Likewise, you are capped at 3 of any one kind of court model, even though you can add 4 to a detachment.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

Archon Court  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archon Court    Archon Court  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24 2020, 23:55

Sensei wrote:
amishprn86 wrote:

Beast UNITS not models. And Court as its own restrictions too, these are both on pg 114 in the DE codex.

Ro3 is limited to the detachments you can bring. We also get extra restrictions b.c Ro3 is only for matched play and not Narrative or Open, like in Crusade you can technically take 5 Succubus if you wanted.

Back to top Go down
Sensei
Hellion
Sensei

Archon Court  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archon Court    Archon Court  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25 2020, 18:33

Thanks for the clarification - I'm coming back to 40k after a number of years away and there are a lot of things that are very foreign to me. I don't have me rulebook with me right now (I'm at work) but can someone reference the page number for this rule?

sekac wrote:
Sensei wrote:
amishprn86 wrote:

Rule of 3 is a rule limiting the number of identical non-troop, non-transport units to 3, no matter how your detachments are organized.

You can have 3 patrols of Black Heart Kabal for instance, but a total of 3 ravagers, despite having 6 available heavy support slots.

Likewise, you are capped at 3 of any one kind of court model, even though you can add 4 to a detachment.

Does "identical" mean that technically you could have 3 ravagers with dark lances in one detachment and 3 with disintegrators in the other? (Ie. changing the weapon loadout so they are not "identical"). Not that I can because I don't have that many Ravagers, but for curiosity's sake.
Back to top Go down
Dalamar
Sybarite

Archon Court  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archon Court    Archon Court  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25 2020, 22:22

Sensei wrote:
Thanks for the clarification - I'm coming back to 40k after a number of years away and there are a lot of things that are very foreign to me. I don't have me rulebook with me right now (I'm at work) but can someone reference the page number for this rule?

sekac wrote:
Sensei wrote:
amishprn86 wrote:

Does "identical" mean that technically you could have 3 ravagers with dark lances in one detachment and 3 with disintegrators in the other? (Ie. changing the weapon loadout so they are not "identical"). Not that I can because I don't have that many Ravagers, but for curiosity's sake.

No. It means of any individual data sheet from the Codex, so 3 Ravagers period in your Army.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Archon Court  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archon Court    Archon Court  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Archon Court
Page 1 of 1