THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

First Painted Dark Eldar model

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
XenosScum
Slave
XenosScum

First Painted Dark Eldar model Empty
PostSubject: First Painted Dark Eldar model   First Painted Dark Eldar model I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22 2020, 05:14

Just got my first dark eldar model to what I would call battle ready. Still need to get the base done and probably going to try getting another highlight layer in. Next time I think i'll lay off on the blood effects a bit though.

First Painted Dark Eldar model Img-0316
First Painted Dark Eldar model Img-0313
First Painted Dark Eldar model Img-0314
First Painted Dark Eldar model Img-0315

red_head and Kalmah like this post

Back to top Go down
Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: First Painted Dark Eldar model   First Painted Dark Eldar model I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22 2020, 12:33

Good job fellow Archon!
lot of great details and color contrast!
Indeed though, i'm not a big fan of the blood, or, if you want to go that way, i would put the ''blood'' more like as if it was ''sprayed'', ''squirted'' on your model. As it is now, it's more like a stain.
but the result is nonetheless amazing! Keep up your good job Smile
Can't wait to see a full squad!

red_head likes this post

Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: First Painted Dark Eldar model   First Painted Dark Eldar model I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22 2020, 16:29

Looking good! Way better than my first model.

Did you use any washes or Contrast paints? I wish I knew about them when I started.
Back to top Go down
XenosScum
Slave
XenosScum

PostSubject: Re: First Painted Dark Eldar model   First Painted Dark Eldar model I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22 2020, 22:32

Kalmah wrote:
Good job fellow Archon!
lot of great details and color contrast!
Indeed though, i'm not a big fan of the blood, or, if you want to go that way, i would put the ''blood'' more like as if it was ''sprayed'', ''squirted'' on your model. As it is now, it's more like a stain.
but the result is nonetheless amazing! Keep up your good job Smile
Can't wait to see a full squad!

Yeah, the blood started as a way to mask some issues I had, especially on the head, but I got a bit carried away, will probably try to get another thin layer of colour on the glaive and skin to tone it down a bit. Also thinking of either getting rid of the white armour pieces entirely or limiting them to only helmets on non HQ units.

fisheyes wrote:
Looking good! Way better than my first model.

Did you use any washes or Contrast paints? I wish I knew about them when I started.

Definitely not my first model, just my first model that isn't a puny lesser species. Only used wash on the fur cloak and skin, rest is standard paints and highlighting.

got to say though the raiders and venoms are quite daunting for me, especially since most of mine are second hand and the prior owner used way too much primer on them.
Back to top Go down
Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: First Painted Dark Eldar model   First Painted Dark Eldar model I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23 2020, 12:23

regarding the white parts of armor (from the picture, i see the forearm), if i may, i would suggest going in the orange palette for it, to have a link somewhat with the hair (i absolutely love the color of those hair i gotta say).
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: First Painted Dark Eldar model   First Painted Dark Eldar model I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23 2020, 13:09

Dont get discouraged by the boats. Venoms in particular are a breeze to paint, Raiders can be a little more daunting. But once you have a cohesive theme, the army looks great on the table.

Just push ahead, the end result will be worth it.

From my own experience, the army is never DONE getting painted. You always see another jewl/cloth/skull/etc that you missed Razz

red_head likes this post

Back to top Go down
XenosScum
Slave
XenosScum

PostSubject: Re: First Painted Dark Eldar model   First Painted Dark Eldar model I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27 2020, 05:51

First Painted Dark Eldar model Img-0317
First Painted Dark Eldar model Img-0318

5 wyches + a rifle sybarite done. Debating weather to stick with orange or go for white knees on the kabalite warriors, especially for the ones lacking helmets.

Regarding the boats is it better to prime the colour you want the indents then cover the flat sections or to just go with the main colour and "paint the cracks" so to say?
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: First Painted Dark Eldar model   First Painted Dark Eldar model I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27 2020, 11:35

Personally I prime them the colour of the recesses, then layer lighter colours overtop.

But I am colour blind, so I cant tell you how effective it is Razz One thing I wish I knew before I started was Contrast Paints (which didnt exist until about a year ago). Tried them out on some models, and the are so fething EASY and look SO GOOD. But I cant make them match the theme I have already started, so bleh :/
Back to top Go down
Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: First Painted Dark Eldar model   First Painted Dark Eldar model I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27 2020, 13:12

i gotta admit that your red and white do mixes well together....the orange is fine too, but i think the white will indeed make it stand on its own easily, and will catch the eye a little bit more even from a distance.

Good job by the way! your unit is really handsome! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Painted Dark Eldar model   First Painted Dark Eldar model I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First Painted Dark Eldar model
Page 1 of 1