THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Countering Mortarion

Go down 
+5
Denegaar
Archon_91
Skulnbonz
The Strange Dark One
sweetbacon
9 posters
AuthorMessage
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

Countering Mortarion Empty
PostSubject: Countering Mortarion   Countering Mortarion I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22 2021, 14:30

The internet is in a tizzy over the new hottness that is Mortarion.

As I under stand it he is -1 to hit, T8, 18W, 5++ and -1 Damage.

You guys face him yet? Obviously our Dissie Spam will not work against the new Death Guard -1 Damage mechanic, and even our Dark Technomancer will not like it.

But Poison doesnt care about T8, because he is 18W he cannot be Obscured behind terrain, and we generally dont have elite units that are obvious targets to his mind-melting abilities.

What is the opinion in Commoragh on this king of the disgusting Mon-Keigh?
Back to top Go down
sweetbacon
Wych
sweetbacon

PostSubject: Re: Countering Mortarion   Countering Mortarion I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22 2021, 15:20

He’s not innately -1 to hit. It requires Miasma to be cast on him. I’m playing against DG with Morty tomorrow. I’m bringing Yvraine for the +1 Deny to try and stop Miasma and TOS Wych Cult units to wound him on 3+ with poison. I’m rounding out my list with 40 PoF Wracks and 12 Grotesques to clog up objectives and hold his terminators up in combat for a while at least.
Back to top Go down
Skulnbonz
Hekatrix
Skulnbonz

PostSubject: Re: Countering Mortarion   Countering Mortarion I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22 2021, 16:07

Poison will take him off the board in pretty short order. Venoms filled with warriors should do it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fantasybattles.com
sweetbacon
Wych
sweetbacon

PostSubject: Re: Countering Mortarion   Countering Mortarion I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22 2021, 17:04

Yeah, Mortarion isn’t the real problem for us as long as you running lots of poison. The real threat is the Terminators and Demon Engines which we have no good way of dealing with.
Back to top Go down
The Strange Dark One
Wych
The Strange Dark One

PostSubject: Re: Countering Mortarion   Countering Mortarion I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22 2021, 17:17

You are mistaken, he is 3+ and 4++.

Regardless, Poison really seems to be the most effective weapon type. It takes 162 shots to kill him normally and 216 points if the -1 to hit was used. When using a Venom full of standard Kabalites, this will deal 2.22 or 1.6 points of damage.

Darklight does 0.44/0.33 damage per shot and Shredders/Heatlances do 0.38/0.29 points of damage.

If you are using Flayed Skull, remember that you can use "Masters of the Shadowed Sky" since he has FLY.

I'm inclined to ignore him and focus on the rest of the army. At 490 points, he makes up a significant chunk of the army that is bound to one place. But if you pull of killing him, that's a big chunk of points that are gone.
Back to top Go down
sweetbacon
Wych
sweetbacon

PostSubject: Re: Countering Mortarion   Countering Mortarion I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22 2021, 18:11

I’m not sure you can ignore him. He’s the fastest thing in the Army and unless you’re playing hammer and anvil he’ll probably be on you by turn 2, turn three at the latest. By that time attrition will most likely leave you unable to threaten him at all. And most competitive DG lists will probably be deep striking 2-3 units of nigh invulnerable terminators in your lines right as Morty comes crashing into you. But maybe I’m wrong as it’s all just theory crafting at this point.
Back to top Go down
Skulnbonz
Hekatrix
Skulnbonz

PostSubject: Re: Countering Mortarion   Countering Mortarion I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22 2021, 18:39

Terminators die in droves to dark techno reapers.
the -1 to wound don't mean squat when you do 5 wounds minimum.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fantasybattles.com
sweetbacon
Wych
sweetbacon

PostSubject: Re: Countering Mortarion   Countering Mortarion I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22 2021, 18:51

Sadly, I don’t own three Reapers 😂
Back to top Go down
Archon_91
Wych
Archon_91

PostSubject: Re: Countering Mortarion   Countering Mortarion I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22 2021, 19:09

The terminators might die to Drazar and incubi pretty easily too though I know it isn't ideal to get close to them
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: Countering Mortarion   Countering Mortarion I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22 2021, 20:00

I would imagine that Wracks charging into him would be pretty painful.

Is there anything a 20 man Wrack squad cant do Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Denegaar
Hellion
Denegaar

PostSubject: Re: Countering Mortarion   Countering Mortarion I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23 2021, 10:22

20 Wracks beating on him should deal 3 wounds to him (if they all can attack). Mortarion shouldn't be able to kill the 20 of them in a single turn, even with Psychic and his 21 sweeping attacks.

160pts stopping 490pts for a couple turns is pretty good if you ask me. When the unit is almost dead, you just BC them to the other side of the board to get an objective and have another expendable unit prepared to tie Mortarion. We are not killing him, but if he can't do his stuff for half the game, it's a good way to deal with him.

Wracks at 8 with nowadays rules are close to broken.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Archon
amishprn86

PostSubject: Re: Countering Mortarion   Countering Mortarion I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23 2021, 11:01

How to counter a nearly 500pts large hard to kill unit.... Ignore said unit and win on objectives.
Back to top Go down
sweetbacon
Wych
sweetbacon

PostSubject: Re: Countering Mortarion   Countering Mortarion I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25 2021, 01:07

Played Morty today. Can concur that our best bet is to ignore him. I’ll write a batrep for it, but will say that against new DG, bring w every piece of gear, strategem, and obsession that does MWs. With our points decreases this is actually a pretty decent match up for us now.
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: Countering Mortarion   Countering Mortarion I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25 2021, 12:40

Luckily we have the movement to be able to ignore models like that. I get the feeling that marine death-balls will not like him very much XD

sweetbacon likes this post

Back to top Go down
SCP Yeeman
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Countering Mortarion   Countering Mortarion I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25 2021, 18:29

@Fisheyes
Our movement will be our biggest attribute against them. Except, I can see an overwhelming majority of DG players taking the 1/2 movement trait. I really think this will kick our butts and we will need things like Wracks and Grotesques to counter balance this because they both do not need transports.
Back to top Go down
Cerve
Hekatrix
Cerve

PostSubject: Re: Countering Mortarion   Countering Mortarion I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25 2021, 23:03

I'm not playing the army with these points, but it's hard to belive something will going bad when you have Wracks at 8 points and Reavers at 10.

Back to top Go down
sweetbacon
Wych
sweetbacon

PostSubject: Re: Countering Mortarion   Countering Mortarion I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26 2021, 01:28

SCP Yeeman wrote:
@Fisheyes
Our movement will be our biggest attribute against them. Except, I can see an overwhelming majority of DG players taking the 1/2 movement trait. I really think this will kick our butts and we will need things like Wracks and Grotesques to counter balance this because they both do not need transports.

My opponent used the half movement trait. It can only be on either Morty or another HQ (I think?) or there’s a strat to put it on one unit. But it had very little effect in my game against DG. Like Morty, we can play around it to mitigate it’s effectiveness since we’ll most likely outnumber DG list by a fair bit and we don’t need to form a death ball that just wants to move up and sit in the center of the table.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Countering Mortarion   Countering Mortarion I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Countering Mortarion
Page 1 of 1