THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

The things we miss...

Go down 
+11
sekac
Kalmah
fisheyes
krayd
Count Adhemar
dumpeal
sweetbacon
commandersasha
Squidmaster
KiriONE
Vailex
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Soulless Samurai
Incubi
Soulless Samurai

The things we miss... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 02 2021, 22:26

Zenotaph wrote:
And it was absolutely hillarious, when it worked on the real big guys like a Trygon... lol!

I remember my first 1000pts match against a good friends craftworlds eldar. 5th Codex was just released.
It took me less than half an hour to completely table him. I still dont know, who was the more surprised.

lol!

I do recall Tyranids not enjoying instant death weapons one bit.

Incidentally, even though it was one-use-only, I loved the Shattershard. A 'toughness-test-or-die' flamer is terrifying for a lot of units.

I remember a game where a couple of Haemonculi (one with a Shattershard and one with a humble Liquifier Gun) killed a few hundred points of Terminators between them, much to the annoyance of my opponent.

The Strange Dark One likes this post

Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03 2021, 10:48

My first few hundreds points of Terminators were killed by a Ravager with Dissies.
He deepstriked behind a relative big building. Well, it wasnt big enough. I skimmed halfway around and BAM...

Hellion
toldavf

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03 2021, 15:41

Zenotaph wrote:
My first few hundreds points of Terminators were killed by a Ravager with Dissies.
He deepstriked behind a relative big building. Well, it wasnt big enough. I skimmed halfway around and BAM...

I got a full squad of fire dragons in a similar way they bailed out of a wave serpent 8 inches away ready to gun down my ravager. Night fields where such a wonderful tool vs melta when they increased your effective distance from the enemy. They subsequently got deleted by 3 str 7 ap 2 blasts.
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03 2021, 16:05

S5. S7 was 3rd edition. But hell, the Night field was really helpful.

Sybarite
commandersasha

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03 2021, 18:17

Flamer templates. Positioning was important when you couldn't flame through your own models.
At the very least flamers ought to be limited to nearest unit only.
Back to top Go down
sweetbacon
Wych
sweetbacon

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03 2021, 20:26

Haywire Wyches. Units of three Trueborn with two Splinter Cannons in a Venom with double Cannons.

Soulless Samurai likes this post

Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Incubi
Soulless Samurai

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03 2021, 20:27

commandersasha wrote:
Flamer templates. Positioning was important when you couldn't flame through your own models.

Tell you what I don't miss - flamer weapons being able to barbeque units inside open-topped transports. Evil or Very Mad

commandersasha and sweetbacon like this post

Back to top Go down
sweetbacon
Wych
sweetbacon

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03 2021, 20:43

Soulless Samurai wrote:
commandersasha wrote:

Tell you what I don't miss - flamer weapons being able to barbeque units inside open-topped transports. Evil or Very Mad

Yep, that was a real feels bad. And I don’t miss templates at all as it was they were the single biggest cause of disagreements in the game when trying to figure out how many models they hit. Same with blast templates and scatter dice. Cool in concept but a huge headache to work out in practice.
Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Incubi
Soulless Samurai

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03 2021, 22:13

I think templates were okay until they introduced torrent(?) flamers. The ones where you could position the template about 12" away from the model firing it.

I certainly know what you mean about templates, though. The inevitable Parallax Errors did not make for fun times. Though I think part of the problem was that they changed the rules so that templates always scattered (rather than only scattering on a miss).

AzraeI
Wych
AzraeI

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 04 2021, 16:24

5th ed to early 6th ed was just wild

Except for tyranids

Instakilling weapons, 40 poison shots killing a monster

I remember trazyn in a barge instakilling 50% of all the gaunts in a unit he few over
Back to top Go down
dumpeal
Hekatrix
dumpeal

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08 2021, 07:51

I miss the initiative characteristic and almost always hitting first in cc.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08 2021, 08:44

Soulless Samurai wrote:
I think templates were okay until they introduced torrent(?) flamers. The ones where you could position the template about 12" away from the model firing it.

I regularly played against CSM with Heldrakes. 12" torrent flamer that can hit you inside your transport, auto hits, wounds on 2+ (rerolling), no armour save, no cover save, hardly any of our models had an invulnerable save and the S of the weapon was enough to negate FNP. I'll just pick up my models then shall I? What fun that was for me...

The Strange Dark One and Soulless Samurai like this post

Back to top Go down
krayd
Hekatrix
krayd

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09 2021, 15:32

One thing I don't miss. Dark Angel ravenwing armies with a re-rollable 2+ invul save. Razz

I played in a 7th ed tourney vs. such a list. I managed to get one hit through on one of his landspeeders. The main force of his army couldn't easily be engaged in cc... because (pre-8th ed) vehicles, and vs shooting, there was the rerollable 2++
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09 2021, 16:06

Haha. 7th edition was such a toxic time, all those unkillable deathstars bashing into eachother in the middle of the field.

"This is my centurion star. I managed to roll Invisibility, so you can only hit it on 6s. Also got the 4++ save power, so if you do hit them they have a 2+/4++ save". Ugh
Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Incubi
Soulless Samurai

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09 2021, 16:38

Did you ever have the joy of sitting through the psychic phase for a daemon opponent?

"Well, my entire army is psykers so I have 25 psychic dice and you have 3 to deny me with."

My inclination would be to throw my few psychic dice at the first power, thereby leaving me free to go make myself a cup of tea while my opponent resolves the rest of his phase.

Kalmah likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09 2021, 16:59

i feel you @Soulless Samurai
As a Drukhari player, i have a friend with a Grey Knight army...........we're not playing the same game at all lol.
well, as you say, it gives us more free time on our hand to go outside to smoke or open up a cold beer and enjoy it Wink

Soulless Samurai likes this post

Back to top Go down
sekac
Wych
sekac

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09 2021, 19:49

Soulless Samurai wrote:
Did you ever have the joy of sitting through the psychic phase for a daemon opponent?

"Well, my entire army is psykers so I have 25 psychic dice and you have 3 to deny me with."

My inclination would be to throw my few psychic dice at the first power, thereby leaving me free to go make myself a cup of tea while my opponent resolves the rest of his phase.

Their Warpstorm phase or whatever was even worse. Roll a random effect. Then roll a die for every unit on the table and on a 6 they are affected or on a 1 if it's a demon unit. Then put a blast marker on the affected units and roll to scatter. Everyone under takes a strength 2 hit or whatever.

It took forever and almost never changed anything. I called it the "I'm gonna go get a beer" phase. Hell, if there was a bar next door, I could probably order a beer and finish it before they were done accomplishing nothing.
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09 2021, 20:13

5th edition Grey Knights had some really neat tricks. Grandmaster Modrak could deepstrike 1st turn without scattering.
Along came a Librarian, who then teleported a Terminator Squad across the whole table right to them.
Man, was I surprised, when that happened to me the first time. Thats about 500 pts of havoc right in your backyard...

Hellion
toldavf

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09 2021, 20:21

I don't miss D weapons. They had no place in none apoc games.

AzraeI likes this post

Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Incubi
Soulless Samurai

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09 2021, 20:30

sekac wrote:
Soulless Samurai wrote:

Their Warpstorm phase or whatever was even worse. Roll a random effect. Then roll a die for every unit on the table and on a 6 they are affected or on a 1 if it's a demon unit. Then put a blast marker on the affected units and roll to scatter. Everyone under takes a strength 2 hit or whatever.

It took forever and almost never changed anything. I called it the "I'm gonna go get a beer" phase. Hell, if there was a bar next door, I could probably order a beer and finish it before they were done accomplishing nothing.

Oh man, I'd forgotten about that. The Daemon player I knew was not pleased with basically buying random effects instead f actual wargear. Nor with a mandatory table that has to be rolled on each turn and which had a not-insignificant chance of causing one of his ~300pt HQs to just explode.

toldavf wrote:
I don't miss D weapons. They had no place in none apoc games.

I don't disagree but personally I'd extend that sentiment to Fliers, Knights and other Super-Heavies.

toldavf
Hellion
toldavf

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09 2021, 20:38

Soulless Samurai wrote:

I don't disagree but personally I'd extend that sentiment to Fliers, Knights and other Super-Heavies.

Yeah I can agree with that I must say that I do like this editions character rules though they have around the same levels of protection they had in 3rd, closest model? dead to melta gun fire, too far back? can't fight ect.

I was always pretty good at picking on chaplains (in 3rd they where THE hq for marines) who where positioned poorly.
Back to top Go down
AzraeI
Wych
AzraeI

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13 2021, 22:55

krayd wrote:
One thing I don't miss. Dark Angel ravenwing armies with a re-rollable 2+ invul save. Razz

I played in a 7th ed tourney vs. such a list. I managed to get one hit through on one of his landspeeders.  The main force of his army couldn't easily be engaged in cc... because (pre-8th ed) vehicles, and vs shooting, there was the rerollable 2++

*2+ Cover save

So it wasn't that broken if you played a riptide wing
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14 2021, 19:38

Hahaha.

This thread is pretty good. Its nice to remember the bad old days, when broken things were litterally broken and wouldent get fixed for YEARS.

Im pretty salty over AdMech, but its nowhere near as bad as it used to be. How did we even play back then?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14 2021, 20:08

Wound allocation shenanigans on GK deathstars. What fun!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The things we miss...   The things we miss... - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The things we miss...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Drukhari Discussion
-
Jump to: