THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

New at 9th, and I need help.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Gelmir
Sybarite
Gelmir

New at 9th, and I need help. Empty
PostSubject: New at 9th, and I need help.   New at 9th, and I need help. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12 2021, 11:41

So after stopping for a year I decided to pick up Warhammer again. But nosing through the Rulebook and codex I keep getting more questions.
For one, where can I find all the Secondary Objectives available? Because if I watch battlereports, they have different ones than what I can find in the Rulebook, but only one of those was in the Rulebook FAQ.
Are the Rulebook ones still legal?
Also, some battlereports mention Warlord Traits that I can't find in our Codex. Is there another book I'm missing?
The amount of books I seem to need is already overwhelming me and making me doubt if I really want to start again. I play friendly games, not too regularly. I don't want to spend 150 euro's on books that each have 3 relevant pages for me, and will be invalid within a year.

What books do I really need, and for what? (Aside from the Rulebook and the Codex), and does anyone know where I can look through some books online so I can decide if they're worth buying? (a pm for this would probably be best, because I don't know if posting those links would be legal here)

commandersasha
Sybarite
commandersasha

PostSubject: Re: New at 9th, and I need help.   New at 9th, and I need help. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12 2021, 11:47

When the 9th ed starter set Indomitus was released, including the Big RuleBook (BRB), they also released a tournament version, which had the same rules, but different missions and some different Secondaries. That was called Chapter Approved 2020 (CA20)

Then this year they did an updated CA21, so there are more there.

For DE, aside from the main Codex, there is the supplement for the Charadon campaign series, called "The Book Of Rust, which has a different set of rules for amongst other things the Wych Cult Of Strife, including arguably the strongest build.

ie to play a full DE pick-up game where you haven't pre-arranged which ruleset, you currently need BRB, CA20, CA21, Codex and Book Of Rust.

I hate GW's pandering to the competitive scene!

The Strange Dark One likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gelmir
Sybarite
Gelmir

PostSubject: Re: New at 9th, and I need help.   New at 9th, and I need help. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12 2021, 11:59

5 books just to play one army. That's a LOT of money for a bunch of books that I'll use maybe twice before they drop a new version and the books become useless. :/
Thanks for the list. I'll see if I can get a cheaper version online or something.

sweetbacon
Wych
sweetbacon

PostSubject: Re: New at 9th, and I need help.   New at 9th, and I need help. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12 2021, 12:13

You don’t actually need to buy any of these books, aside from maybe the 9th edition rule book just because it’s handy to have for missions and secondaries.  I actually recommend the tournament rule book which has all the same info but is smaller and costs less if I recall correctly.  For all other rules, Wahapedia is your friend.  It’s the best online 40k resource I’ve found.
Back to top Go down
Gelmir
Sybarite
Gelmir

PostSubject: Re: New at 9th, and I need help.   New at 9th, and I need help. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12 2021, 12:18

Thanks! For starters I found the secondary objectives on Wahapedia. This'll help me figure stuff out. Smile

The Strange Dark One likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gelmir
Sybarite
Gelmir

PostSubject: Re: New at 9th, and I need help.   New at 9th, and I need help. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12 2021, 12:26

Some SO's have different versions though, like Bring It Down for example. If that happens, what book overrules the others?

sweetbacon
Wych
sweetbacon

PostSubject: Re: New at 9th, and I need help.   New at 9th, and I need help. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12 2021, 12:38

They changed some of the secondaries in the Chapter Approved 2021.  Don’t buy that as it’s a huge waste of money.  Wahapedia is still your best resource here as it’s updated very quickly once the rules are updated.  So short answer again is in Wahapedia we trust.
Back to top Go down
Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: New at 9th, and I need help.   New at 9th, and I need help. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12 2021, 13:18

For my part @Gelmir i only have the Core book, Codex Drukhari.
I own the Book of Rust but because i find it cheap (i only play casual friendly games) i never use it.....maybe the day where all my friend will have access to a supplement i'll try it, but for now i find it close to cheating having access to twice the number of stratagems my opponents have.

So, all in all i only play with Core Book, Codex and the app (i play with the official one but it is monthly paid (something like 4$can, so in Euro this will be like 2.5Eur / month) or you can use the Battlescribe (free) that i know a lot of people like.

For every other rules Wahapedia or Goonhammer are your friends
Back to top Go down
Gelmir
Sybarite
Gelmir

PostSubject: Re: New at 9th, and I need help.   New at 9th, and I need help. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12 2021, 13:45

That app is a rip-off here. 5,50 euro's per month, or 55 euro's per year. I can buy 2 books a year for that money.
Anyhow, Wahapedia also has several versions of some secondaries. For example, there's a Bring It Down under Grand Tournament 2021, and a different version under Tactical Deployment. I doubt I can just pick the most favourable version, so which is the latest?

Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: New at 9th, and I need help.   New at 9th, and I need help. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12 2021, 13:57

@Gelmir are you talking about the Warhammer+ app? then yes it is a complete rip off, but only the 40k app is far cheaper, here in Canada where our money is worth almost half an Euro it is only 3.5 can$....so i'm pretty sure in Euro it is only 2$eur or something like that

But again, you can use the free battlescribe too
Back to top Go down
Gelmir
Sybarite
Gelmir

PostSubject: Re: New at 9th, and I need help.   New at 9th, and I need help. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12 2021, 14:18

Double checked, but the 40K app is really 5,50 euro's here. Even more of a rip-off then I already thought if you only pay less then half of that. XD Yeah, that's a nope for me.
Battlescribe is cool though. But it doesn't have stuff like secondaries, does it?

fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

PostSubject: Re: New at 9th, and I need help.   New at 9th, and I need help. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12 2021, 14:54

Your looking for the Grant Tournament Pack 2021, from Chapter Approved 2021.

These missions are also in Wahapedia. You will look for the section that includes Retrieve Octarius Data (which replaced Deploy Scramblers).

There are different "versions" of missions. Eternal War from the BRB. Grand Tournament 2020. Grand Tournament 2021. The community generally plays with Grand Tournament 2021.

There are multiple versions of each, depending on what point value you are playing at. 0-1000 points is called one thing (Incusion?), 1001-2000 points is called another (Strike Force?), and 2001+ points is another (cant recall).

Unfortunately the game has gotten quite complicated with all the various rule books required. Youtube would be the best place to start learning, IMO.

Good luck getting started again. If you have a FLGS, they would likely help point you in the right direction.
Back to top Go down
Gelmir
Sybarite
Gelmir

PostSubject: Re: New at 9th, and I need help.   New at 9th, and I need help. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12 2021, 15:15

Thanks for all the info and help guys. Smile You're awesome!

Kalmah
Wych
Kalmah

PostSubject: Re: New at 9th, and I need help.   New at 9th, and I need help. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 12 2021, 15:25

whut?? seriously this would be the first time that we Canadian are paying LESS than everyone else (internet service, phone service etc.... we are known for paying way too much).
And seriously the price difference seems HUGE!
Anyway, the official app is far from being perfect, still some bugs and the updates are not done always on time (the point change we received on Tuesday is still not updated in the app).
So indeed, at this price, stay far away from it Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New at 9th, and I need help.   New at 9th, and I need help. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New at 9th, and I need help.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Drukhari Discussion
-
Jump to: