THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Hellions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Niurvindol
Hellion
Niurvindol

Hellions Empty
PostSubject: Hellions   Hellions I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2022, 12:55

Running a new list that’s focused on some decent shooting with trueborn and some dark tech venoms.
Still have my 15 incubi and 3 badass heroes, but I’m not sure how to play my hellions.
I’m running two squads of 7 and while I’m getting good results thus far, it feels like they just screen and take shots while my real melee murderers get in close.
Any advice on using these dudes?
Back to top Go down
Archon_91
Wych
Archon_91

Hellions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hellions   Hellions I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 05 2022, 23:27

Could possibly use evicerating fly by strat to soften up some harder targets

Niurvindol likes this post

Back to top Go down
Niurvindol
Hellion
Niurvindol

Hellions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hellions   Hellions I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06 2022, 23:03

That’s the plan, but running them up the board without being caught out is my biggest issue.
Getting charged before they can strike or just flanked and shot from behind terrain.
With true line of sight they’re hard to screen. I suppose I could use a raider to screen them
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Hekatrix
Zenotaph

Hellions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hellions   Hellions I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07 2022, 00:45

Uhm, have you tried to first strike? An Archon with the Animus Vitae in a Venom should do the trick.

Klaivex
fisheyes

Hellions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hellions   Hellions I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 08 2022, 13:54

IMO, you really want the Custom Cult of Test of Skill (+1 to wound vs Vehicles/Monsters) and Percise Killers (Blade artist on 5s to wound).

This gets around some of their weaknesses, mainly low AP and ability to punch vehicles/monsters with -1 damage.

I was running a full combat list for a while (30 Incubi + 15 Grots), and ended up getting knocked out of an RTT by a smart Eldar player who simply used terrain and models to block me in. Without much shooting, and no Fly units, I couldent get past his screens and ended up getting Tabled on Turn 3. Really missed having Hellions able to jump over the screens and murder his psykic characters for those sweet Abhor and TTA victory points.

Overall, I would use the Hellions in 2 roles.

1. Character assassins who are able to jump over screens to kill characters or tie up important vehicles

2. Extra wounds to help with a Pressure build mid-board staging (ie moving up to midboard [behind terrain] with a bunch of Coven units or Boats). Forcing your oponent to chose between killing the hellions or Grots or Boats. Its a risky play that requires a lot of knowledge of the opponents army and capabilities.

Overall, Hellions are part of a well balanced breakfast. I will no longer leave home without at least 1 unit of them.

Bonus point: Bloodbrides are becoming my "4th Incubi" unit. If you are taking the ToS/PK custom cult anyway, the Hellions make a spicy addition.

Niurvindol likes this post

Back to top Go down
Niurvindol
Hellion
Niurvindol

Hellions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hellions   Hellions I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10 2022, 01:18

I thought about running them under a custom cult.
I’m absolutely loving my Bloodbrides and using the restricted cult of strife build on them with the morvanes agoniser.
Keeps a lot of those pesky “fall back and shoot” guys in check
So unfortunately, that means so long as I have them running strife, hellions are stuck with it.
I was hoping to use them for alpha striking a bit, but without the animus vitae, it might not be possible as well.
My last game, those 2 wounds came in clutch, eating a lot of damage and letting my boys drop in. Might be that I just need to be more patient with them and use them as a mid game brawler/flyover
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

Hellions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hellions   Hellions I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14 2022, 19:00

Ya, back in the Pre-Tau meta I had seen some crazy builds that involved drowning the opponent in wounds, so they couldent kill it fast enough. 2W Hellions played a large role in the build.

Like with all DE units, it comes down to knowing where/when to use your stuff. Its very easy to throw your units away, and we dont have the point efficiency to do that very often Wink
Back to top Go down
Niurvindol
Hellion
Niurvindol

Hellions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hellions   Hellions I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 01 2022, 21:41

Update, dropping the morvanes for the extra cp for some deep strike potential and realizing that it be grim darkness of the future, no one falls back.
Also, I don’t play against tau like ever and I doubt it’s worth keeping that cp on hold for that.
So ToS/PK it is, gonna test it out tomorrow
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Klaivex
fisheyes

Hellions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hellions   Hellions I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 04 2022, 23:16

Im thinking similar things.

Good luck on your raid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hellions Empty