THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus

Go down 
+7
hellios
Sky Serpent
Nomic
Thor665
Forruner_mercy
Local_Ork
nalfen
11 posters
AuthorMessage
nalfen
Hellion
nalfen

Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus Empty
PostSubject: Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus   Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 14 2011, 18:30

Here is what's in the box:

Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus Img_0919

Along with a regular Raider/Ravager crew and weapons sprue

Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus Img_0920

The pieces themselves are relatively well made, there will be a massive amount of cleanup needed since there is quite a lot of flash to clean and some pieces like the sail are bent so they will require resetting.

The supplied base is a joke and will never hold the model, after checking with Forgeworld they are supposed to supply a large base with the model but they keep forgetting it and instead bundle a normal raider/ravager base...

Overall the details are a little under what you get from normal GW products and you get the problems you normally get with Finecast.

I will update this some more as i get the build going.

Enjoy Wink

Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus   Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 14 2011, 19:08

This should go to Workshop...

Anyway I was TRULY IMPRESSED with fact it's plastic/resin (actually it's similar stuff) and etched brass hybrid model.

Like someone at FW thought "hey, floor grading melted into hull look ugly, we should use something different". Basically, they did TRUE "scale model".

If I can give You two advices:
1) Use carbon/metal rods to attach Your craft to base. You can actually use 3-4, drill holes in models and make glueless "pins" that allow You to detatch base.
2) You can use CD to make 120mm round base. Oval one is 120x90mm, so if You want have oval use this tutorial, it works.
Back to top Go down
Forruner_mercy
Slave
Forruner_mercy

PostSubject: Re: Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus   Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 14 2011, 20:26

Are any of the Raider/Ravager parts used in putting the Tantalus together?
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus   Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 14 2011, 20:41

@nalfen - If you plan to have it become a log for assembly I should probably move the thread.

As an 'unboxing' I think this works pretty well in DE Discussion.
If you're planning to showcase work assembling it and showing off your finished project it probably does belong in the Haem Workshop.

Let me know your hopes/intent for the thread and I'll get it into the correct forum for you.

Regards,
Thor-in-mod-hat.

Back to top Go down
Nomic
Wych
Nomic

PostSubject: Re: Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus   Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 14 2011, 20:53

I didn't have problems with the base, since the flying stand is so short it stays up by a combination of the stand and the two blades. Mine had a lot of warpage tho, some of which was veyr difficult to correct (I still haven't gotten the sail to be completely straight), and I didn't even try attaching the dozens of tiny resin spikes and just replaced them with jeweler's chain pinned into place.

Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus   Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 14 2011, 21:57

The Tantalus is the only model that I have ever lost my patience with, the amount of warped parts is a nightmare as nearly everything has to bent back into shape.

I will get round to it one day though I am sure.

To answer Forruner_mercy, the crew are needed, the rest is embellishment.

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
nalfen
Hellion
nalfen

PostSubject: Re: Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus   Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 14 2011, 22:39

@thor this will remain a review / unboxing of the model itself. I will start another thread on the workshop for the build/paint.

Nah, they provide it just for the crew (no skulls/chains etc Sad ). I will probably use the sail assembly from another kit to replace the one from Forgeworld, theirs has quite a few flaws

The model is pretty much a nightmare to prep, i spent 5 hours so far just cleaning and resetting the resin into its proper shape. When i read that FW wouldn't do anymore DE i was sad but after playing with this kit i can totally understand why. The sail itself seems to be made from a softer resin, after immersion in hot water is becomes almost jello like.

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus   Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 14 2011, 23:51

nalfen wrote:
@thor this will remain a review / unboxing of the model itself. I will start another thread on the workshop for the build/paint.

Nah, they provide it just for the crew (no skulls/chains etc Sad ). I will probably use the sail assembly from another kit to replace the one from Forgeworld, theirs has quite a few flaws

The model is pretty much a nightmare to prep, i spent 5 hours so far just cleaning and resetting the resin into its proper shape. When i read that FW wouldn't do anymore DE i was sad but after playing with this kit i can totally understand why. The sail itself seems to be made from a softer resin, after immersion in hot water is becomes almost jello like.

Dude you paid good money for that model so if you want the FW sail and the FW is pretty much beyond simple repair then ask if FW can send you a replacement... They are often very good about such things and depending on how lazy they are they might even send you an entire tantalus... and then I'm sure you could figure something out and you would end up with 2!
Back to top Go down
nalfen
Hellion
nalfen

PostSubject: Re: Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus   Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15 2011, 00:39

hellios wrote:
Dude you paid good money for that model so if you want the FW sail and the FW is pretty much beyond simple repair then ask if FW can send you a replacement... They are often very good about such things and depending on how lazy they are they might even send you an entire tantalus... and then I'm sure you could figure something out and you would end up with 2!

Its fine, i managed to get the Sail set properly using some foamcore and plasticard to hold it in place and the other pieces as well, rest is just some shaving +green stuff to hide the gaps. The Brass inserts while nice to look at are to work with because they lack any flexibility so you need a perfect shape to insert them.

Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus   Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15 2011, 01:42

nalfen wrote:
Cool.

You're saying the brass is hard to work with because the resin pieces aren't molded perfectly enough to let them fit?
Back to top Go down
nalfen
Hellion
nalfen

PostSubject: Re: Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus   Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15 2011, 02:02

Thor665 wrote:
You're saying the brass is hard to work with because the resin pieces aren't molded perfectly enough to let them fit?

Exactly, the brass is very precise but the resin kit is far from the usual precision of plastic kits GW makes.

I ended up submersing the entire frame in hot water while i fitted the plates, once they were in i removed the model and let it cool down before i glued them in place.

I posted the WIP of the model in my project log thread, i will have to green stuff some. gaps and pieces

Slave
DarkLordVerjal

PostSubject: Re: Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus   Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17 2011, 06:29

I am considering saving up for them after I get a sufficient 5,000pt army. But, I can't find the stats and such on the FW Dark Eldar models. Where do I find that information?
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus   Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17 2011, 07:32

DarkLordVerjal wrote:
I am considering saving up for them after I get a sufficient 5,000pt army. But, I can't find the stats and such on the FW Dark Eldar models. Where do I find that information?

Some FW models have their stats attached in a .pdf on their page on the FW site, but usually you have to get the book. Especially if you want to play with them, your opponent may reasonably want to see the.

So IA Apocalypse 2nd edition is what you want.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Mandor
Kabalite Warrior
Mandor

PostSubject: Re: Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus   Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18 2011, 17:04

Gobsmakked wrote:
DarkLordVerjal wrote:

Some FW models have their stats attached in a .pdf on their page on the FW site, but usually you have to get the book. Especially if you want to play with them, your opponent may reasonably want to see the.

So IA Apocalypse 2nd edition is what you want.
Also, the PDFs on the website and the (final) versions in the Imperial Armour books might be different. For example, the Reaper got considerably better in Imperial Armour Apocalypse Second Edition.
Back to top Go down
Nico
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus   Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18 2011, 21:51

My first thought after seeing this thread:
Must... have...

I love to see it finished!

Grts
Nico

PostSubject: Re: Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus   Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just Received my Forgeworld Tantalus
Page 1 of 1