THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!

Go down 
+10
Urien Rakarth
Archon Farath Mure
Saintspirit
xzandrate
Gobsmakked
Radium
Foo
darkmark
Todo13
Xelkireth
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Xelkireth
In Exile

Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! Empty
PostSubject: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitimeSat May 28 2011, 06:16

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=16800012a

Well... after reading the article I'm actually less annoyed. Until I physically have a Finecast model, I will reserve judgement. Since I'm wanting a second Archon, I will wait for a Finecast one and if someone else hasn't beaten me to it, will post my own review. Regardless... I am looking forward to it. Seeing the flexibility of a dry bit (make sure to read the article) makes me very happy.
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitimeSat May 28 2011, 09:16

I went ahead and ordered the Finecast Archon and Lelith.

When I get them in, I'll post a review of Finecast and as many pictures as possible.
Back to top Go down
Todo13
Kabalite Warrior
Todo13

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitimeSat May 28 2011, 10:57

Xelkireth wrote:

When I get them in, I'll post a review of Finecast and as many pictures as possible.

Can't wait to see the review, but is must be easier to work with than metal right? That article did help to calm me and now I am excited, I wonder If it really is as easy to work with as they said
Back to top Go down
darkmark
Kabalite Warrior
darkmark

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitimeSat May 28 2011, 14:10

I went to pick up BL's Caledor, and hopefully a model today. However, the vast majority of those I saw were terrible. The holes, miscasts, misaligned parts, and general mess was outrageous Evil or Very Mad

I've seen somebody today saying that they'd picked up all the DE characters, but would be taking them all back tommorrow because of the problems I've mentioned.

GW still doesn't explain exactly how you should remove the traditional mould line. Is a razor blade really enough?

After handling a couple of models I not conviced that the models will stand up to the rigours of a table top. Display pieces yes, table top not sure yet.

And Incubi are definately 28€ too Sad
Back to top Go down
Foo
Kabalite Warrior
Foo

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitimeSat May 28 2011, 14:28

They say you drag a razor along it. It's what I do to remove mould lines on my plastic models. Just make sure you pull it towards you with the blade facing away, not towards. Wink

Also, I saw the Finecast Lelith and Archon in the store Thursday. They're definitely lighter and much more crisply detailed. But then I saw the Finecast Incubi box for $50 CDN and just started weeping and vomiting in angry disbelief.
Back to top Go down
darkmark
Kabalite Warrior
darkmark

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitimeSat May 28 2011, 18:53

Just to update, here's what a poster @warseer had to say about the new models today:

Mate I'm F***** livid! I really thought that I'd be blown away by this but I honestly can't believe that this is what GW is going to be from now on! I'm out. I have had to pin Leliths arms on as the pieces DO NOT glue as suggested, the thin pieces are so brittle that I wouldn't waste my time painting them (Or atleast putting them on a tabletop) what more can I say? The box of 5 Incubi cost £23 and EVERY sprue has some form of air bubble problem, the bottoms of the heads are all missing, you couldn't fill them if you wanted as there's nothing to grip to. The tips of the glaives are all missing and there's really bad bubbling under the cloak bottoms.

Sucks to be GW eh? To be fair there are people saying their purchases are fine (no pun intended Wink

My advice is to really look at the model before you buy instore, or open the box immediately after purchase. I'm really worried now for the wracks and grotesque.
Back to top Go down
Radium
Kabalite Warrior
Radium

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitimeSat May 28 2011, 21:47

darkmark wrote:
I'm really worried now for the wracks and grotesque.

So am I. But I think quality will increase with time as casting resin is an art in and of itself. They need to learn a new skill set to properly cast quality models and it'll take some time before the entire GW casting crew is used to working with the new material. Or at least, that's what I hope.

My Archon's latest trapped soul: Kairos Fateweaver
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitimeSat May 28 2011, 22:05

Todo13 wrote:
Xelkireth wrote:

Can't wait to see the review, but is must be easier to work with than metal right? That article did help to calm me and now I am excited, I wonder If it really is as easy to work with as they said
I hope so. I hate cleaning up metal models.

darkmark wrote:
GW still doesn't explain exactly how you should remove the traditional mould line. Is a razor blade really enough?
I have four knives. One blade I keep constantly sharp. The other three are varying degrees of dull. I've found that duller blades really work well on cleaning up metal models.

Radium wrote:
darkmark wrote:
I'm really worried now for the wracks and grotesque.

So am I. But I think quality will increase with time as casting resin is an art in and of itself. They need to learn a new skill set to properly cast quality models and it'll take some time before the entire GW casting crew is used to working with the new material. Or at least, that's what I hope.
To be perfectly honest, I was shocked they didn't go all plastic.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitimeSat May 28 2011, 23:02

Radium wrote:
But I think quality will increase with time as casting resin is an art in and of itself. They need to learn a new skill set to properly cast quality models and it'll take some time before the entire GW casting crew is used to working with the new material. Or at least, that's what I hope.

This should have been learned and mastered before the rubber hit the road, and from what I am reading elsewhere, that's not what happened. But, that's largely on Whineseer and this is just the first few days of the release, so it will be interesting to follow as it developments.

I will not be buying any Finecast items for quite a while, however, until I can be reasonably sure that I will not be buying a faulty product.
Back to top Go down
xzandrate
Kabalite Warrior
xzandrate

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitimeSun May 29 2011, 07:05

I look foward to getting the models, I don't expect them to be better than the metal models, it's the same mold. I just know they will be a little easier, but different, to work with.

I suspect alot of posts will have to happen to remind people the resin models need a good washing before working with them. Not to mention the dangers of filing/grinding resin.

That's what worries me most, is GW isn't really giving the information on how to work with a resin model.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitimeSun May 29 2011, 07:17

xzandrate wrote:
I suspect alot of posts will have to happen to remind people the resin models need a good washing before working with them. Not to mention the dangers of filing/grinding resin.

That's what worries me most, is GW isn't really giving the information on how to work with a resin model.

FYI - xzandrate just prompted me to start a thread in "Painting & Modelling" where everyone can share their experiences working with the new Finecast material.
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitimeSun May 29 2011, 07:22

xzandrate wrote:
I look foward to getting the models, I don't expect them to be better than the metal models, it's the same mold. I just know they will be a little easier, but different, to work with.
By many account online, the Finecast models are infinitely more detailed than the old metal ones. I'll be posting pics of the Finecast and pewter Archons when I get it it.
Back to top Go down
Saintspirit
Court of Cruelty
Saintspirit

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitimeSun May 29 2011, 08:30

The striking scorpions I bought yesterday is nice. Though, there were some casting mistakes, such a non-existant eye and so. Still, similar mistakes happened to the metal models too, so I am not very displeased. Frankly, I am more annoyed with how bendable the thinner parts is!

Painted: 2263pts

shamroll wrote:
Dang! I was hoping Tyranids followed the Pokemon naming idea. A big Carnifex running around just yelling "Carnifex! Carni-Carnifex!" followed by a squad of termagants all saying "Termagant" to each other.
Back to top Go down
Archon Farath Mure
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitimeSun May 29 2011, 22:49

My archon is just fine, and a bit more detailed than my pewter one. Part of the helmet I decided to use broke off while I was removing the flash, but a bit of thin glue to stick the part back on and a dab over the seam and it's as good as new.
Back to top Go down
xzandrate
Kabalite Warrior
xzandrate

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitimeMon May 30 2011, 05:31

Xelkireth wrote:
xzandrate wrote:
By many account online, the Finecast models are infinitely more detailed than the old metal ones. I'll be posting pics of the Finecast and pewter Archons when I get it it.

Sounds good, I know Vanus Temple did a comparison between the metal and finecast Dante, after a basecoat, they looked pretty close to the same.

I know going forward we'll be able to get some really fine detailed minis that couldn't be done in metal, and that may be why there may not be alot of difference once a basecoat is on, is the existing metals were designed with that process in mind.
Back to top Go down
Urien Rakarth
Kabalite Warrior
Urien Rakarth

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitimeTue May 31 2011, 14:50

xzandrate wrote:

Can't remember where I read it but apparently the Finecast stuff is pre-washed so there is no mould release on it. Apparently you can put paint straight on without a primer too (not that I'd recommend trying it).

Also, this type of resin is not the kind that'll kill you later in life. It's been specifically tested to be completely non-toxic. Also, the moulds are different from what I understand as the casting process for the injection moulded resin is much different to the casting for the metal.
Back to top Go down
http://6inchmove.wordpress.com
darkmark
Kabalite Warrior
darkmark

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitimeTue May 31 2011, 18:22

@xzandrate. Did you catch this article on working with the new models?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=16800012a

Lets hope QC issues are sorted before our goodies arrive Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitimeTue May 31 2011, 18:57

darkmark wrote:

Returned fingerless, nearly bald Lelith yesterday. I *hope* lack of quality control would backfire at GW. They deserve that.
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitimeTue May 31 2011, 21:28

Local_Ork wrote:
darkmark wrote:

Returned fingerless, nearly bald Lelith yesterday. I *hope* lack of quality control would backfire at GW. They deserve that.
Having read a lot more reviews, I'm appalled at the lack of QC.
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitimeTue May 31 2011, 22:23

I would say DE, Nids and Chaos models suffer most.

I had some real problems with making models with spikes in traditional means (ie pouring mold with resin) that now I smear lightly mold with resin, wait until it have consistency of "Crème fraiche", smear carefuly two halves of mold and squeezing them together (little flash vs lack of details. I pick flash).

Most of those "good" reviews are based on Orks and SM models, so...

I highly recommend looking CAREFUL at details like spikes, chains, fingers, noses and hairs before you buy.

It would be best if you could check models from both sides (most of damages were on back side of Lelith), however this is not possible since blisters are permamently termo-sealed and you have "label" side.

Last edited by Local_Ork on Tue May 31 2011, 23:38; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Baron Tordeck
The Helfather
Baron Tordeck

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitimeTue May 31 2011, 23:27

Xelkireth wrote:
Local_Ork wrote:
darkmark wrote:

Having read a lot more reviews, I'm appalled at the lack of QC.
Sounds like typical GW to me. Evil or Very Mad

Forum Rules - Read and Obey - Or Else!
Back to top Go down
Torpedo Vegas
Resident Shadowseer
Resident Shadowseer
Torpedo Vegas

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitimeTue May 31 2011, 23:38

From what I'm hearing I think its the sheer volume of product that they are putting out which has lad to the miscasts. I don't think of this as "Typical GW", as I've never received any of their plastics or metals with major miscasts, the worst I've had is lots of flash and some thick mold lines.

Granted, I haven't received my Finecast order (Incubi, by the way), but it sounds more like typical Forgeworld than GW.
Back to top Go down
http://irollboxcars.blogspot.com/
Fletch
Kabalite Warrior
Fletch

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13 2011, 19:39

I have already returned a few Finecast pieces for poor quality (not just bubbles, but miscasting).

One thing I did find interesting is there seems to be two versions of Lelith. The first Lelith blister consisted of two sprues Lelith on one and weapons on the second (which got returned) and the replacement blister had Lelith and weapons all on one sprue.

Not sure if this is a case of GW trying to get it right. (I just wonder which version was considered "new and improved")

"If 50 million people believe a foolish idea, it's still a foolish idea"
- unknown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!   Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Citadel Finecast, it’s nearly here!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

OTHER DISCUSSION

:: Other News & Rumours
-
Jump to: