THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Aztek Airbrush vs ???

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dez
Kabalite Warrior
Dez

Aztek Airbrush vs ??? Empty
PostSubject: Aztek Airbrush vs ???   Aztek Airbrush vs ??? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26 2011, 02:45

Hey All,

I've been looking over Airbrushes and Compressors, and I've still got questions. I love the versatility of the Aztek airbrushes, and the fact that it's so easy to use and clean. The only thing I'm not sure of, is seeing it in action. Maybe my searching isn't that great, but I didn't see much on youtube.

I'm considering getting a Master Precision Detail Control G444 because it also seems like it's versatile and a great brush for the money. I'm just worried about all the bits and bobs and cleaning.

The other one I'm thinking about is the Iwata Eclipse HP CS.

Things to consider is I've only got about $200 to spend, and it has to be via Amazon. I'd definitely consider getting an Aztek and a Master Precision Detail Control G4 as long as I can get a good compressor at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Aztek Airbrush vs ???   Aztek Airbrush vs ??? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26 2011, 04:57

I have an Azteck that I have been very happy with. What is it that you would like to see in a video? Hell. I could probably whip up a video if you send some questions on what you want to know about it. It is extremely easy to clean and use. PM me if you have any specifics. I am going to be airbrushing my second coven Raider this week and could probably get some video
of it.
Is the $200 for the compressor and airbrush? Might be kinda hard to pull off for decent quality stuff, but it shouldn't be too much more than that.

EDIT:
This one would be a pretty good setup:
http://www.amazon.com/AZTEK-Airbrush-A4709-TC-20-Compressor/dp/B001VJ46G8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324875814&sr=8-2

If you can spring for the extra $30, I would definitely get this one:
http://www.amazon.com/AZTEK-Airbrush-A4709-TC-20T-Compressor/dp/B001VJ5XBK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ac_2
I wish that I had bought a dual tank compressor when I bought mine. With a single tank compressor it constantly runs off and on to maintain pressure while a dual tank stores pressure requiring it to come on less while you work.

I had a lot of moisture issues before I modified my setup by moving the regulator away from the compressor with a 12" section of copper pipe. I live near the coast where moisture is a problem. Moving the regulator away from the compressor prevents the motor heat from pulling the moisture out of the compressed air.(This makes a real mess of your spray mixture). I can post or send pictures if you are interested.
Back to top Go down
Dez
Kabalite Warrior
Dez

PostSubject: Re: Aztek Airbrush vs ???   Aztek Airbrush vs ??? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26 2011, 06:20

You painted your Raiders with an Aztek? Good enough for me Wink I don't think I need videos, I guess I'm just looking for pictures of stuff painted with an Aztek, and specifics on what was done with it. Like, Base Coated and first highlight or whatever.

The second one is what I've been considering. Doing my homework on compressors, and I think having steady airflow with the tank is going to be the most important thing. Although I'm considering getting a Harbor Freight deal, and buying an Aztek separately via Amazon.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Aztek Airbrush vs ???   Aztek Airbrush vs ??? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26 2011, 15:52

I usually do the basecoat and first highlight with the Azteck for my Raiders. I probably could use it for other highlights, but I'm a little old-fashioned and prefer to brush those on. Just doing the basecoat and first highlight saves me a TON o' time.

I'll post pictures here late this week when I spray my coven raider.
Back to top Go down
Dez
Kabalite Warrior
Dez

PostSubject: Re: Aztek Airbrush vs ???   Aztek Airbrush vs ??? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26 2011, 16:48

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Aztek Airbrush vs ???   Aztek Airbrush vs ??? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28 2011, 15:20

I have the aztek and it is pretty decent, but it busted and I have not sent it back to get replaced.

I bought a Sotat 20/20 and I love that brush. I won't fit into your budget at all, but it is a good airbrush.

One thing when getting a compressor, make sure whatever you get has a reservior, so the compressor is not on all the time, and a watertrap, so water in the air get captured in the line and can be released. Nothing is more frustrating that a spray of water all over your model.
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Dez
Kabalite Warrior
Dez

PostSubject: Re: Aztek Airbrush vs ???   Aztek Airbrush vs ??? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28 2011, 15:47

I ended up doing a ton TON of research. I've watched hours and hours of youtube videos, hundreds of google searches...and finally came to a decision. I bought this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KT0QPS/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details.

I know it's a knock off, but it's a knock off of a great brush that in my research is the same. It was probably the ol' Load it Into a Van at Midnight China Special Wink Same thing with the compressor, it's the same ones that Paasche use. I'm happy to start, on budget, with knock off products that have more options.

One of the things that was important to me was how well it stood the test of time. In my research, I found this one to be a workhorse. People have had this brush for years, and for it to last that long was an important factor besides it working like an Iwata. I think it's easy to make knock off products (so to speak) but they don't last long. This swayed me to make the decision to go with this particular set.

I was initially worried about cleaning an airbrush, but I got over that pretty quickly after watching umpteen videos on it Wink I'm going to get a jewelry cleaner as well, because it will work double duty in cleaning my brush as well as stripping paint off of models Smile

I really like the Aztek, and I'm sure I'll get one down the line. The research I did said it's a decent brush, and easy to use. Nice and ergonomic. A lifetime warranty is great! The thing that swayed me from the Aztek is the reviews compared to reviews for the brush I went with. I really wanted to do some fine detail work, especially as we are working with models Wink

Thanks for everyones feedback, I appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Aztek Airbrush vs ???   Aztek Airbrush vs ??? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 01 2012, 09:41

I think that you'll be really happy with the compressor. If I had to start over, I'd definitely get a dual tank. My neighbors REALLY wish that I had!
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Aztek Airbrush vs ???   Aztek Airbrush vs ??? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 01 2012, 15:35

That does look like a good set up. Let us know how it works out!
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

PostSubject: Re: Aztek Airbrush vs ???   Aztek Airbrush vs ??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02 2012, 01:51

Interesting thread, please provide some info on your first experiences with your airbrush and post up some pictures of your work with it. I'm assuming it's your first time using an air brush isn't it?

Additionally: Could you provide a link for that jewelry cleaner thing? It sounds like I might want to get one of those. They work with supersonic, or are we talking about different things here?
Back to top Go down
Dez
Kabalite Warrior
Dez

PostSubject: Re: Aztek Airbrush vs ???   Aztek Airbrush vs ??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02 2012, 04:34

Here is a link for Sonic Jewelry Cleaners from Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?keyword=sonic+cleaner

The videos I washed, people just used Windex as the liquid. Sounds good enough to me.

My stuff will be arriving on January 5, I can't wait to try it out!
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Aztek Airbrush vs ???   Aztek Airbrush vs ??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02 2012, 04:40

I haven't used Windex yet (I haven't run out of the overpriced Testors acrylic thinner that I bought yet Mad ), but all of my friends that have used Windex swear by it.
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Aztek Airbrush vs ???   Aztek Airbrush vs ??? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02 2012, 13:27

I use "Polish Finest" denatured alcohol
Aztek Airbrush vs ??? 220px-Denaturat

and paint-jar (crap, I really need to upload tutorial about making that @#% thing)
Aztek Airbrush vs ??? Zdjaci15

I don't think You need much more for acrylics.

btw I approve Your choice of compreeor and airbrush. It's good buy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aztek Airbrush vs ???   Aztek Airbrush vs ??? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Aztek Airbrush vs ???
Page 1 of 1