THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Help with shading and highlighting dark eldar.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Marquis Vaulkhere
Kabalite Warrior
Marquis Vaulkhere

Help with shading and highlighting dark eldar. Empty
PostSubject: Help with shading and highlighting dark eldar.   Help with shading and highlighting dark eldar. I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26 2011, 19:41

So after about a month of searching I have settled on 'Codex Grey' as the base color for my thorn lords. However I do not know which way to go for shading my army. What would you recommend and how do you shade your models?

Another problem I have is with "extreme highlights". I tried it on one of my models and was really disappointed in the result. How do you get a good looking highlight on your models without smearing paint all over them in Armour edged lines.

Last edited by Marquis Vaulkhere on Tue Dec 27 2011, 17:34; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Grub
Wych
Grub

PostSubject: Re: Help with shading and highlighting dark eldar.   Help with shading and highlighting dark eldar. I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27 2011, 11:41

Not a great painter myself, but dry brushing your chosen colour over black seems to work well, it really catches the edges. Once that is done then go around the edges of the armour in the solid colour you chose, seems to look good...

A very slow, 30K Salamander Distraction Log: VULKAN LIVES
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Help with shading and highlighting dark eldar.   Help with shading and highlighting dark eldar. I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27 2011, 12:25

Codex Grey can go down to simple black colors , if you want fast shading then probably go for Badab Black wash. This is not exactly finesse method , but it get good results fast and easy.

Highlighting - here is a little tutorial for you Tutorial.

Main thing with it is - dont deviate that much from original color and keep line as thin as you can. You can do mistakes , thats ok , just fix them.

Oh, and whatevee you do , thin paint more Wink

Here is aslo good web program to help you with rest of your color.
Kuler
Back to top Go down
Alastair
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Help with shading and highlighting dark eldar.   Help with shading and highlighting dark eldar. I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27 2011, 19:58

I'm mainly a painter so i'll chime in on this one. I have some warriors are up in the aphotic gallery, and i'll be starting a full project log soon, which will have a lot more of the stuff i've done in the last 4 weeks or so. Also, go through that section of the forum there are some amazing DE painters that post here and none are afraid to let you know what and how they did something! Very Happy

Tips:
1) Do not overload your brush with paint. If you have anymore than 40% of your brush covered in paint, you have too much on; it'll spill onto place you don't want it and you'll have that smear effect you want to avoid.
2) Although TG over uses this expression a lot; water down your paints. 50/50 paint/water - this is for a few reasons. Flow aid, so you don't end up with blobs of acrylic for that smooth finish, and it makes the colour more translucent so it 'blends' (all painters always looking for the perfect blend up, or highlight, so you will NEVER master it!)
3) don't be afraid to low light, so with codex grey, water down adeptus battle grey into almost a wash and use a fine detail brush to go around the armour contours. Alternativly use adeptus as the foundation, then pick out the plates with codex grey
4) Use fortress grey as the highlight, simply put, practice makes perfect. Don't give up trying for those nicely straight lines!

here are a few tutorial vids:

Obsidian Rose Kabalites

Last Hatred Kabal

Just take the techniques you think you can do, want to try and just give them a go! In 6 months time you'll look back at you're work and you WILL see progress.
Back to top Go down
Marquis Vaulkhere
Kabalite Warrior
Marquis Vaulkhere

PostSubject: Re: Help with shading and highlighting dark eldar.   Help with shading and highlighting dark eldar. I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27 2011, 20:38

Thank you all for the advice and I am sure you will see some of the results in the Archons Challenge. I just finished my archon models construction and should be starting the painting asap.

GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Help with shading and highlighting dark eldar.   Help with shading and highlighting dark eldar. I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28 2011, 15:14

My thoughts on this.

Codex grey as the base color. OK

What I would recomend if you are feeling a little adventurous is to use Necron Abyss ( or any other very dark blue color with a bit of chaos black as the shade. Thin it down and build up the shade as you like.

Then mix sunburst yellow with skull white till it looks like a soft creme color and add that mix to your base color and then keep building up the highlights till you get to just the creme color as an extreme highlight.

The mix of cold blue with warm yellow will make the model have a little more "Pop" instead of being different shades of grey. The idea will let your base color act as a neutral pallette and then your shade and highlights will make it stand out.

Or you could just add black and white as a shade and highlight.

My 2 pain tokens.

Help with shading and highlighting dark eldar. Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with shading and highlighting dark eldar.   Help with shading and highlighting dark eldar. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help with shading and highlighting dark eldar.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: