THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

New to Dark Eldar, new to this site...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ant7
Slave

New to Dark Eldar, new to this site... Empty
PostSubject: New to Dark Eldar, new to this site...   New to Dark Eldar, new to this site... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24 2012, 00:41

I am currently putting together my troops. I haven't decided on a color scheme yet but I have an idea rolling around in my head. In the 40k big rule book there is a picture of a warrior in metallic armor. I really like it but I am stumped as to how I would paint the raiders and other vehicles. I am not sure they would look good silver.
What do you think? Any ideas? any examples?
Thanks for any help.
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: New to Dark Eldar, new to this site...   New to Dark Eldar, new to this site... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24 2012, 03:19

Howdy and welcome.

Metallic DE are not hard to do at all. However, if you were to ask me, I would go with a darker metallic, like a chain mail or bolt gun that is heavily shaded and then pick out a few details as a highlight. The smaller details will be brighter, in silver or what have you, but the heavy shade, like 3 or 4 washes of devlan mud and badab black, will really help add depth and character to the figures.

My marine army is silver skulls, and they are all metallic with bright silver helmets. I used a blue wash mix to give a different color feel to them separate from the dark metallic bodies.

As for vehicles, again, I would say heavy shading is the key, it adds a lot of visual interest to the figure instead of being a flat metallic color.

Hope this helps.

If you click on my name in the sig, its a link to my blog. I think I have some of my skulls posted there as a reference if you are so inclined.
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

PostSubject: Re: New to Dark Eldar, new to this site...   New to Dark Eldar, new to this site... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24 2012, 20:43

I concur with GAR. You can definitely pull of metallic DE and I think it will look very cool if done right. Just don't simply put metallic paints on them but use washes to give them some depth. At least Black and possibly brown (Devlan Mud) are needed for a real looking feel.

However for a whole army done in metallics you need something to distract the eye from the endless masses of silver, something colourful. Really good with silver work strong blues and reds or a pastel kind of purple (the later is not that much of a contrast but supports the silver.
Or you could go a completely different route and add coloured washes to the metal to give the metal itself some colour just as GAR suggested. I'd go with blues or purples here as red metallics look odd from my experience.
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: New to Dark Eldar, new to this site...   New to Dark Eldar, new to this site... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24 2012, 20:57

As an example only for shading effects on metallics. From the image, by using Devlan mud and badab black heavily, the armor is dark and has more visual interest. its not too bright or shiny, and a thin wash on top of the final metallic highlight helps to dull the metallic shine on the armor a bit.

Along with this, the blue on the silver helmet makes the models stand out and draws the eyes attention to the helmets. The helmet is done is Mithril silver and is undulled, so it is much brighter and stands out against the duller darker metallic body.

Hope this helps ya along.

New to Dark Eldar, new to this site... DSC01127
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
ant7
Slave

PostSubject: Re: New to Dark Eldar, new to this site...   New to Dark Eldar, new to this site... I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24 2012, 22:08

GAR- Thanks for the suggestions and the pics. I checked out your link,very nice army indeed! Great job.
Dogmar-Thanks,I think I may try metallic silver with blue as my secondary color. I think that painting the vehiclles and wyche cloth would look odd and be too much. So I can use blue for those. I may paint ne tonight and post it later.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to Dark Eldar, new to this site...   New to Dark Eldar, new to this site... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to Dark Eldar, new to this site...
Page 1 of 1