THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice

Go down 
+2
Sky Serpent
Earl_Scott
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Earl_Scott
Slave

Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice Empty
PostSubject: Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice   Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28 2012, 22:41

Greetings from a new 40k player and new to the Dark Eldar. I have come across a trade oppoutunity which consists of the following:

55 dark eldar helions clipped off the sprue and about 10% cleaned.

2 razorwing jetfighters partialy assembled.

Also have the codex.

Knowing very little I went down to the local game store and scoped out the codex. And there is a special character that allows the hellions to be troops. So I want to build a list based on using him (Baron Sythyax I think) as my HQ. What units would you everyone recomend to round out army as I want to make it a an air force type of Army. I know a I have one Heavy support slot left.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice   Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28 2012, 23:34

How good is the deal?

For me, 20 Hellions is enough, they're really not that great unless Baron is leading the squad. However I've not tried multiple units myself.

I think a Battleforce would be a good start, give the Tactics section a look and start to write an army list to give yourself an idea of what models to buy.

Maybe add a third Razorwing, just remember the rest of your list will need a fair wad of anti tank.

Oh and deleted your duplicate post, please be more careful in the future Smile

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Earl_Scott
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice   Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28 2012, 23:45

It is dumping a bunch of a game system I don't play anymore so I think it is win win. I was thinking another fighter or a bomber. Again insight from veterans out there will be much appreciated
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice   Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29 2012, 00:48

I agree with Sky Serpent:20 Hellions are all that you would need. You can always use the others as trade bait for stuff that you want.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice   Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01 2012, 16:03

yah I would never use more than 30 and Baron. Hellions are decent lot, but they are only ok as troop choices. A squad of 20 with baron, and a squad of 10 left to be a counter-assualt unit. But then again I dont like hellions to start with so Razz

As for what next, you really need a Ravager and some warriors to make trueborn. You have alot of AI, so your going to need to back it up with some AT. As for anything else, I would wait till you get the dex and make your first list. Then we will help with you unit composition and the such.

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Ciirian
Sybarite
Ciirian

PostSubject: Re: Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice   Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01 2012, 16:43

I'm not an expert but just the fact of seeing 50 Hellions on the board would be intimidating. They move fast and get two shots. Perhaps supporting them with a more surviable units like Wracks would help? I can picture them coming out of Webway portals swarming and circling a unit, unloading fire and flying away. Once again I am no expert and havent ever used Hellions.

However, you could convert some of those Hellion models you have and add some Beastmasters to the army. You can have a few Beastmasters per unit, and multiple units of them with the Baron (cuz your Hellions would then be Troops) Beastmasters are pretty effective and in my opinion and converted Hellions are much cooler then the actual Beastmaster model.
Back to top Go down
Archon
Kabalite Warrior
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice   Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01 2012, 18:15

You could make a very cool army based on the Baron and running Hellions as troops. What you have in your army now is a large amount of mid to short ranged splinter weapons. What you need is some long range punch. Consider a Ravager as your last Heavy Support Choice and some Warriors mounted in Raiders to fill in an Elite Choice (Trueborn) or to fill in some more troops (Kabalite Warriors). Also look at the Scourges in the Fast Attack section. They can be outfitted to perform a fire-support role as well.

Also, consider running 2 HQ - The Baron and the Duke. With all the Combat Drugs in use in your army, the Duke can help by allowing you a bonus to the die roll. He can also strengthen a unit of Warriors/Trueborn and give all Raiders/Ravagers in the army the Deep Strike rule.
Back to top Go down
Earl_Scott
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice   Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02 2012, 01:27

Archon wrote:
You could make a very cool army based on the Baron and running Hellions as troops. What you have in your army now is a large amount of mid to short ranged splinter weapons. What you need is some long range punch. Consider a Ravager as your last Heavy Support Choice and some Warriors mounted in Raiders to fill in an Elite Choice (Trueborn) or to fill in some more troops (Kabalite Warriors). Also look at the Scourges in the Fast Attack section. They can be outfitted to perform a fire-support role as well.

Also, consider running 2 HQ - The Baron and the Duke. With all the Combat Drugs in use in your army, the Duke can help by allowing you a bonus to the die roll. He can also strengthen a unit of Warriors/Trueborn and give all Raiders/Ravagers in the army the Deep Strike rule.

I have not seen the codex other than the 10 minutes I looked at it in the FLGS , So appreciate any feed back. So what is is is the advantage of the ravager over a tricked out bomber if I fill out my elite slots with true born in raiders as sugested?
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice   Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02 2012, 02:12

Earl_Scott wrote:

I have not seen the codex other than the 10 minutes I looked at it in the FLGS , So appreciate any feed back. So what is is is the advantage of the ravager over a tricked out bomber if I fill out my elite slots with true born in raiders as sugested?

You can get almost two Ravagers totaling 6 Dark Lance shots for the price of one tricked out bomber. Ravagers are really the biggest no-brainer in the codex. Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
Earl_Scott
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice   Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02 2012, 02:16

Ok, Is it you segguestion to get rid ot the fighters and replace then with ravagers or do a mix of ravager and fighters?
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice   Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02 2012, 02:28

I'm sorry, I thought that you were talking about the Void Raven Bomber. Razorwing fighters are a totally different animal. The fighter is all about showing up, unleashing an absolute rain of death onto infantry, and then hoping that you live for another turn. It's a much better anti infantry choice. Ravagers are all about taking out transports/tanks. Hellions are pretty one-dimensional in that they are designed to take out infantry. They do NOTHING against armor. They are expensive point-wise. You can use them fine(and will have a ton of fun doing so), but with your points limited you will need to choose your anti armor choices carefully. Ravagers get that done in a heartbeat for a minimum amount of points.
You can use fighters to target both armor and infantry, but they just aren't as efficient in that role. It's a personal choice based on my playing style. that being said, you can bet your butt that I'll be painting a fighter sonner rather than later. The model is just that AWESOME Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
Earl_Scott
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice   Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02 2012, 02:46

You were singing the praises of the Ravager over the voidraven. As part of the trade I am getting 2 razor wings that is why I was specilly asking if I should dump the optimal mix between the razor wings and ravagers based Archon's suggestions. I am new 40K player and new to to Dark Eldar so I am trying to glean as much info as I can.
Back to top Go down
Archon
Kabalite Warrior
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice   Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02 2012, 14:47

Well, I am an old school DE player, so I prefer the Ravager. That said, the Razorwing is a wicked cool model, and has the firepower to be good on the table, too. Since you already have 2 Razorwings coming, use them. Try out a Ravager, and down the line, maybe pick up another if you like it. That will give you the ability to tailor your force a bit, depending on your opponent. The goal at this point will be to fit as many Dark Lances as possible into your army.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice   Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trading for a large lot of Dark Eldar and seeking advice
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Drukhari Discussion
-
Jump to: