THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Help aquatic color scheme!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tarbanger
Hellion
Tarbanger

Help aquatic color scheme! Empty
PostSubject: Help aquatic color scheme!   Help aquatic color scheme! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26 2012, 19:25

So I started painting my Kabal (yet to be named) with a dark angles green with purple offset (yes I know red would be better but I dunlike red much) and after painting my raider and about 1/2 a dozen warriors I was not impressed with the result. Now after about a week of musing I decided that I want to try for aquatic colors, now I'm just stuck on what to base coat them with. I know the end will be highlighted with Hawk Turquoise but what's a good starting point? I thought about necron abyss but just a tad to dark and leaning too much into the blue spectrum.
Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Help aquatic color scheme!   Help aquatic color scheme! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26 2012, 21:20

Bad time to ask about paints (people aren't familiar with new line yet, there is no comparison charts etc.) but I'll try to help.

First of all, check "Conversion Chart" in tutorials. Now HT is called "Sotek Green"
I think Macragge Blue [old Moridian Blue] would work so-so if You have it.

Also check out GW online. I've found Incubi Darkness in basepaints. It's slightly darker (and faded) than Hawk Turquise but I think those two would work good together.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat800003a&prodId=prod1500106a
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat800002a&prodId=prod1500020a
Back to top Go down
Tarbanger
Hellion
Tarbanger

PostSubject: Re: Help aquatic color scheme!   Help aquatic color scheme! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 26 2012, 21:30

gah completely forgot about the new paint range comming out... I'll have to drag my hind end to the LGS and see if there's anything new to play with. Thanks for your input Local_Ork
Back to top Go down
Tarbanger
Hellion
Tarbanger

PostSubject: Re: Help aquatic color scheme!   Help aquatic color scheme! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27 2012, 05:54

Well I screwed around with a few different combos and fell onto a stippling of snot green and hawk turquoise on a dark angles green followed by a blue wash and highlighting with more hawk turquoise. Tested it out on my raider and I'm gonna toss a pic on here soon as I find my camera heh
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Help aquatic color scheme!   Help aquatic color scheme! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27 2012, 22:30

I think Hawk Turquoise or whatever its equivalent along with a silver blue and a bit of a dark blue-ish purple would be about right.

it would almost be a camo pattern, but use the turquoise as the base ans then either add in the other colors as slashes or 'S" shapes, or just replace some portios of the armor with the 2 alternate colors.

Water is really a mix of colors, and the aqua effect comes out really neat looking when it looks like water at the beach or in a pool.

my 2 paint tokens.

Help aquatic color scheme! Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Tarbanger
Hellion
Tarbanger

PostSubject: Re: Help aquatic color scheme!   Help aquatic color scheme! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28 2012, 16:17

@ GAR well what I did was more of a turquios shot at the stippling effect on Alaitoc show in the warhammer rule book. then traced the edges with turquoise. now while mine looks cool your lil bump has inspired me to attempt someting like This for my next raider. It'll prolly be way outa my legue and more suited to an airbrush, but I have yet to even try one out heh.
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Help aquatic color scheme!   Help aquatic color scheme! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28 2012, 16:29

You might try using a real sponge as a stiple instead of a brush.

Treat it like a drybrush and try to get almost eveything off so only a tiny bit of paint remains. then apply that gently to get the desired effect.

I did something very similar before to get dead skin and the effect was pretty cool.

Back to top Go down
Tarbanger
Hellion
Tarbanger

PostSubject: Re: Help aquatic color scheme!   Help aquatic color scheme! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29 2012, 21:26

For the fear of She who thirsts! I tried the GW stipping brush last night. What an absolutely useless tool! I might be doing something wrong but those nylon bristles are so stiff that I just get blobs instead of neat effects...

@GAR what do you mean a real sponge? Like one I’d use to clean the sink?

Also I'm thinking of setting the bases of my army as being almost ankle deep in dark(ish) water, as if they were coming up from a lake or beach navy seals style. I was figuring on basing them with a bit of sand and then taping around the base and pouring in an epoxy or resin. What do you guys think of that?

(I have too many ideas running around in my head!)

~T
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Help aquatic color scheme!   Help aquatic color scheme! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29 2012, 22:00

if you go to a craft store they sell real sponges. They litterally are real sponges from the sea. Kind of tan colored. Tear those into manageable pieces and use.

The kind to clean the sink are synthetic and don't work as well.

Back to top Go down
Tarbanger
Hellion
Tarbanger

PostSubject: Re: Help aquatic color scheme!   Help aquatic color scheme! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29 2012, 23:11

Ah that's what I figured, but it never hurts to be sure. Thanks again GAR
Back to top Go down
Tarbanger
Hellion
Tarbanger

PostSubject: Re: Help aquatic color scheme!   Help aquatic color scheme! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30 2012, 16:09

New question for you all. Now I had 50 points left to my 1500 list and decided to toss in a Beastmaster with 3 Khymerae. I'm quickly developing an "Horrors of the deep" Theme for my army and the Khymerae don't realy fit that, what do you think of my replacing them with chaos daemon screamers as seen HERE . I feel these would fit much better into my force.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help aquatic color scheme!   Help aquatic color scheme! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help aquatic color scheme!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: