THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Should I get started with Dark Eldar?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Agron
Slave

Should I get started with Dark Eldar? Empty
PostSubject: Should I get started with Dark Eldar?   Should I get started with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08 2012, 18:25

Hello everyone!

I'm an old 40k player, started in 2nd edition and played a bit in third, then I left the hobby.

Thinking of returning. I've got a possibility to get a Dark Eldar army on the cheap, including;

4 Raiders
3 Ravagers
3 Venoms

40 Warriors
4 Incubi
1 Archon
5 Hellions
5 Scourges

My question to the community is, is this a good starting army? Can I play varied games of say 1500-1850 points with this? Is their something I'd need to add right away?

Also, is a Dark Eldar army a good contrast from a CSM: Legions army? Which I'll be getting once the new Codex comes out, whenever that is.

Thanks for any help and insight! =)

/Agron (No not Angron, Agron!)
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Should I get started with Dark Eldar?   Should I get started with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08 2012, 19:18

Sounds good, enough skimmers and warriors. Both Helions and Scourges are not really effective in the number of 5 (well scrourges are somewhat, but they are more fun choice then effective one) and you probably wont include them in rosters but otherwise seems fine.

If you get it cheap thats a good buy.

Quote :
Also, is a Dark Eldar army a good contrast from a CSM: Legions army?
Nobody knows mate, rumours are vague at best, current DE are certainly more playable then CSM Codex, which is very old.
I have a bad feeling new CSM codex will be the new rage of the month in terms of raw power.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Should I get started with Dark Eldar?   Should I get started with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08 2012, 20:11

The army at face value looks pretty solid - there is some question about what weapons are/aren't attached to the models, of course. Same sort of difference of getting a C:SM army and discovering all your Plague Marines have flamers and no meltas, that sort of thing.

Playwise it has a decent pile of options available, the odd hole in the list is a total lack of Wyches, so it is a pretty heavy shooting army build, as only the Archon and Incubi are really assault minded. A box or two of Wyches would sort that out quite easily. The Scourges are functional at 5 man, the Hellions are not unless you want to buy some beasts and make them Beastmasters as opposed to Hellions, which is easy enough.

I'll second Azdrubael above - if you can tell me what the Chaos Legions codex will play like I can tell you how it will compare to DE, until then... At the very least it can't be too identical because we're GEQ with poison and speed and they'll still be MEQ of some stripe or other, and those always play at least somewhat differently.

Back to top Go down
Agron
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Should I get started with Dark Eldar?   Should I get started with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08 2012, 20:17

Thanks for your input Azdrubael and Thor!

The warriors are equipped with 3 Blasters, 1 Dark Lance and 3 Sybarites with Venom Blades and Pistols. But I'll get all the bits and one box of the Warriors are unoppened.

I guess it was a silly question about the CSM: Legions. I'm guessing it'll be a bit of a power house codex, tough troops in rhinos.

I've never cared that much for Hellions but the Scourges models look great so I'll try to field them.

Another question, will Trueborn get their own models at some point?
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Should I get started with Dark Eldar?   Should I get started with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08 2012, 21:11

I've not heard any rumours about trueborn getting their own models, a lot of people tend to use the helmeted wych heads to make them, though I'm saving mine to make bloodbrides. I've seen a fair few people model cloaks onto them of some sort as well, makes them look a bit more noble and arrogant.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Should I get started with Dark Eldar?   Should I get started with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08 2012, 21:48

Yeah, I wouldn't expect Trueborn models, certainly not anytime this year.

Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Should I get started with Dark Eldar?   Should I get started with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09 2012, 08:00

Certainly never, unless its Forgeworld stuff.

Ciirian
Sybarite
Ciirian

PostSubject: Re: Should I get started with Dark Eldar?   Should I get started with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09 2012, 12:28

Yeah I agree, I doubt there will be Trueborn unless its a Forgeworld upgrade or something. I used Corsair cloaks from the Fantasy Dark Elves line to make my Trueborn. Also depending on how you hope to arm them, I found the Scourge box helped alot when making the Trueborn (Shardcarbines, Blasters and other special guns in there)
Back to top Go down
Agron
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Should I get started with Dark Eldar?   Should I get started with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09 2012, 12:57

Thats right, maybe Forgeworld will release some Kabalite Warrior upgrades with the Dark Eldar Imperial Armour book!

Thats for the tip Ciirian, I'll need to get a box of Corsairs. Do you need to greenstuff the cloaks to fit the Dark Eldar models?
Back to top Go down
Ciirian
Sybarite
Ciirian

PostSubject: Re: Should I get started with Dark Eldar?   Should I get started with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10 2012, 03:00

Not at all, its a very simple and commonly done conversion. I even think there is a guide to using Corsair Cloaks for Trueborn somewhere on this site.

What I did was a little different. I cut the "parts" off the back of the Kabalite Warrior so it was sorta flat, then I shaved the Corsair cloak however I wanted it to fit, superglued and sculpted a connecting peice around the front of the guy.

Also to answer your question about "Should you start Dark Eldar" I think absolutly. I may not be an expert on them from a gaming aspect but in my opinion they are a very awesome army when it comes to fluff and models. Almost the entier model range is made from plastic which I like. Also if your getting a good deal on that lot, I'd so go for it, half the battle of this army is its need for vehicles and getting a decent amount up front is awesome.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I get started with Dark Eldar?   Should I get started with Dark Eldar? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should I get started with Dark Eldar?
Page 1 of 1