THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates

Go down 
+7
Siticus the Ancient
Nomic
Evil Space Elves
Azdrubael
Massaen
Crisis_Vyper
Allandrel
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Allandrel
Kabalite Warrior
Allandrel

Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates Empty
PostSubject: Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates   Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15 2012, 12:30

I've just started assembling the vehicles for my new army, and it became very clear very quickly that Raiders and other DE vehicles are full of delicate blades, pikes, and sails that will break if you sneeze on them.

Furthermore, storing these things fully assembled would take 6" deep foam trays, with about half that height just for protecting said delicate bits above and below. (At least CWE tanks have a flat hull they can sit on with no blades and chains sticking underneath.

I tried some magnetization for the sail and pikes on a raider, and quickly discovered that the magnets small enough to fit without being huge and obvious weren't strong enough. Instead of breaking when sneezed on, part fell over when looked at.

I haven't yet tried anything with magnetizing the items under the hull (which would let me remove the flight base for storage and cut down the required foam trays by at least an inch), rams, or passengers (though they can at least have multiple magnet points).

Looking for experiences and advice here. What have you guys had success with? What hasn't worked? Should I just suck it up, glue everything, use 6" trays with lots of empty space, and handle everything gingerly?

I've looked for online articles and videos, but everything I've found tends towards "just stick a huge, visible magnet on everything."
Back to top Go down
Crisis_Vyper
Kabalite Warrior
Crisis_Vyper

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates   Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15 2012, 13:12

Personally, I just do not assemble the bottom spiky parts. Just get a 4.5" foam and you will do fine to be honest, and that is the foam I use. The top pointy part is the one that you really need to worry about, but nothing a foam and a protective thin layer of foam would not protect from the ravages of transportation.They fit into the premade foams much easier that way, and I do not even need to magnetize anything. Besides nobody really sees the bottom of the raider and pay attention to the spikes below (with the exception of painters,modellers and fluff nazis).The only reason why my models break is because the spiky parts on top tends to get hooked onto some buildings, but nothing too serious that a super glue would not fix.

That is my personal experiences with Battlefoam and Raiders/Ravagers

Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates   Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15 2012, 13:34

I magnetised the sail and gunner with zero issues... 2mm sunk in the mast and 3mm attached to the sail. Ditto on the gunner mount

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates   Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15 2012, 14:19

I just chosed battle foam and save myself the trouble and hefty amount of money.

Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates   Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15 2012, 14:25

Azdrubael wrote:
I just chosed battle foam and save myself the trouble and hefty amount of money.
+1 Twisted Evil When you consider the investment of time and money that you pump into these things, it really is worth it. Battle foam makes a tray that holds 5 raiders or 3 Ravagers/2 Raiders for $30USD. That's $30 invested to protect $165 worth of models AND avoid the headache of repairing your army every time that yo sneeze within 10' of it.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Nomic
Wych
Nomic

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates   Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15 2012, 20:51

I magnetised the sails. The magnets I ahd just happened to be the exact same size as the part where the sail attaches (and also the same size as Razorwing's weapon mounts, allowing me to magnetise the lances/dissies). Now if only I could do something about the spikes and the beam the tip of the sail rests on (that part keep snapping off all the time).

Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates   Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16 2012, 07:38

I am a horrible person and carry my two Raiders, Ravager, two Venoms and Razorwing in a shoe box with fabric and plastic bags for padding. It looks like spiky tetris, but as long as everything is tightly sitting in their spots and not rattling about, it's all good.

Holy crap do I need to find a better way to transport them.

Allandrel
Kabalite Warrior
Allandrel

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates   Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16 2012, 15:15

Thanks for the input! I definitely plan to go with Battlefoam, the ability to order custom-cut trays is terrific and I like how they use larger-area trays than GW or Army Transport, which I have used in the past.

I've determined that magnetizing the bow gun (which was going to be a dry fit anyway) and the ram will be easy and help reduce and "boxify" the storage profile. It will also let me swap out for shock prows if I ever decide to take them (unlikely).

I really like how the spiky bits on the bottom look, and the keelblade sticks out below the hull anyway, so I probably will suck it up and store the skimmers on their flight base even though it adds a good inch to the trays. Hull blades won't be as vulnerable to errant sleeves as pikes and banners anyway.

After my first disastrous experiment with magnetizing the sail, I will probably do what Massaen suggested - while leaving a portion of the sail's peg in place carries a risk of breakage, it seems better than a simple dry fit. That's at least half an inch off the overall height even with pikes and banners in place.

I still have no idea what to do about the pikes and banners, or the passengers (I'm not even touching them until i have the rest sorted out).

In people's experience, are the pikes and banners really that fragile? I realize I could forgo them but they're an important part of the Raider's silhouette to me. I might try shortening them by 1/4" or so and see if they still look right.
Back to top Go down
S'jet
Hellion
S'jet

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates   Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20 2012, 23:27

I also got a battlefoam custom tray, 4" thick. I dont stick the sails on and i snip the rudder pole in the middle, just enough for it to slip into place. I DONT use the pikes though. The crew heads are the highest points with the sail and rudder off.

Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates DSCN1103
Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates DSCN1104

Like this, they fit nicely into a 4" tray on their bases, with slots in the foam for sails and rudders.

The custom tray i made also holds a nice 2 Raiders, 2 Ravagers and 2 Venoms. Here is the Design....

Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates BFVehicle4inch

Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates   Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 21 2012, 07:27

I magnetised my sails, drilled out the top of the bollard and the bottom of the sail thingy quite easily and was able to get two magnets in there that are plenty strong enough.

The bow guns I simply use the stock peg mount and dry fit them, no need to get any fancier.

I don't put spikey bitz on the keel, but I do fix my rudders in. One has broken it's tip in the plastic IKEA bin that I use and I am going to switch to S'jet's method for the rudders. Brilliant, don't know why I never even considered that before.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
mot666
Kabalite Warrior
mot666

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates   Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 21 2012, 11:00

pre battle foam releease i found removing sails allowed me to fit four boats in a shoebox with bubble wrap layyers made them all safe and snug. i used the less breakable units to fill in the gaps, my whole army would fit in one shoebox an my only breakages were blades id glues onto guns.

the b/f is good, tho i find you have to be really careful, its like snagging hang nail getting them out some times.

I am the Master of Darkness, and of the Abyss... I am The Ancient One. Dont make me turn you into a lap dog. I've done it several times before and I wont hesitate to do it again. Seriously! Ironic isnt it? Being accused of necromancy, with a joke inspired by The 'Necronomicon' in my sig?
my project log:
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t2874-the-kabal-raining-bullets
now with csm:
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t6430-chaos-space-marines
PM me about commision work.
Back to top Go down
DrBored
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates   Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23 2012, 07:43

I actually found a neat little case... XL Accessory Case by Plano. It's normally used to store guns and the like, and the case is filled with three layers of foam that lay against each other quite well. With a normal pair of scissors and some good planning, you can fit 5 Raiders/Ravagers into one case. I wouldn't recommend holding it by the handle unless you're really good with those scissors. I bought a second one that I'm going to fit my Venoms into. I predict I'll be able to fit 6 venoms into that case.

I don't magnetize or anything, the case is tall enough to fit the tallest sails. Tipping the case upside down, however, would produce disastrous results.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates   Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Magnetizing and Storing Raiders and other delicates
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: