THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Vehicle Weathering Tutorial

Go down 
+4
Gobsmakked
Viking
Evil Space Elves
S'jet
8 posters
AuthorMessage
S'jet
Hellion
S'jet

Vehicle Weathering Tutorial Empty
PostSubject: Vehicle Weathering Tutorial   Vehicle Weathering Tutorial I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20 2012, 23:02

Hey guys! Alot of people here and on other forums have asked how I did the weathering and the colour's on my Raider i painted for stage 2 of the Archon's Challenge. It's actually really simple. As i'm painting a batch of vehicles right now, i took afew pics along the way. I used an Airbrush for this.

Ok, so you've primed the raider (built or in pieces, i like to do it in pieces). Next thing you need to decided is what colour you want the weathering to be. You can use any colour really, but it should contrast nicely with your base colours. The main colour used on my raider was Iyanden Darksun, and i thought a dark brown would be best for the weathering.

Step 1. Basecoat armour plates with P3 Umbral Umber.

Step 2. Coat of Purity Seal Spray. This protects the weathering colour a little later on.

Step 3. Ok, now comes the stage where we define where our weathering will be. I used Humbrol Maskol (liquid latex) dabbed on with a bit of blister sponge. This stuff dries pretty quickly and becomes hard to work with if you take it out of the bottle (which will probably be necessary) so you'll waste some. Not much you can do about it really. You can see in the pic below all the waste i had for the batch on a piece of cardboard. Dont go overboard with this stage. Leave it to dry for 30mins. One more thing.. the bottle mentions not to leave latex on for more than 3 days.. I dont why (spontaneous combustion? )....

Vehicle Weathering Tutorial Step3

Step 4. Now that it's dry, you can paint your vehicle as you normally would, being careful not to displace any of the latex you just applied. I spray the armour with a mix of Iyanden Darksun 2:1 Scorched Brown. I then spray the first highlight of pure Iyanden, leaving some of the previous layer near the center of plates.

Vehicle Weathering Tutorial Step4

Step 5. The last highlight is pretty drastic. A mix of White 10:1 Iyanden. The steps up to this point are to establish a general gradient of colour on the plates.

Vehicle Weathering Tutorial Step5

Step 6. The armour will be looking not very colourful at this point. But this is where the magic i found happens. I've found that Iyanden Darksun dries alot different when sprayed over a lighter layer. So apply pure Iyanden again to the center of the plates. It will come out alot Orangey/yellow-erer.

Vehicle Weathering Tutorial Step6

Below is a comparison pic of this step next to the a completed raider, so you can see the difference in the next step.

Vehicle Weathering Tutorial Step6-2

Step 7. We finish it off with Iyanden 5:1 Scorched Brown to the center of the previous layer.

Vehicle Weathering Tutorial Step7

Step 8. Now we peal off the latex. You can do this gently with a finger nail for most of it, but hard to reach places and on the edges you may need some tweezers. Remember to lightly scratch all over the surface, even if you cant physically see a bump of latex. The sponge should have placed alot of shallow and small dots over the surface, which will come off also, with a little aggitation.

Vehicle Weathering Tutorial Step8

And thats it. Here's what mine look like...

Vehicle Weathering Tutorial DSCN1100
Vehicle Weathering Tutorial DSCN1098

And a pic of a finished Raider -

Vehicle Weathering Tutorial 4

Sorry if the colours didnt show up well in some of the pics... I plan to add some more stages of weathering in the future, but im happy with this for now.

Hope this helps. Have fun!

S'jet

Last edited by S'jet on Sat Apr 21 2012, 11:57; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle Weathering Tutorial   Vehicle Weathering Tutorial I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 21 2012, 01:53

This is why you are the Man. I've seen a similar effect using salt, though your method looks a hell of a lot cleaner to pull off.(No pun intended Mad ) Thanks for posting this!

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Viking
Hellion
Viking

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle Weathering Tutorial   Vehicle Weathering Tutorial I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 21 2012, 03:44

Nice job! Easy to follow and informative. Now t o figure out what would look best for my Poisined Tongue army?
Back to top Go down
S'jet
Hellion
S'jet

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle Weathering Tutorial   Vehicle Weathering Tutorial I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 21 2012, 05:31

@Evil It is alot cleaner than salt. and you have about as much control of where the weathering will appear. Where hairspray weathering shines though, is the little scratches (or any shapes) you can make after the salt comes off. i like both methods. Hmm, maybe it would be possible to combine hairspray with this method.... hmmhmmm....

@Viking I was in the same boat =p I tried hairspray on my sisters, and wanted to see how this method turned out for this army.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle Weathering Tutorial   Vehicle Weathering Tutorial I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 21 2012, 07:35

Thank you so much for sharing this S'jet. It is a great technique and you do it extremely well.

Excellent tutorial you put together, too, will definitely get it added to Local_Ork's collection of tutorials.

And now I REALLY must get an airbrush!

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle Weathering Tutorial   Vehicle Weathering Tutorial I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 21 2012, 08:04

I have something like this
Vehicle Weathering Tutorial 2WdqXaddL6BtOl_d50uMHOJbDVOXXnIIMbTnCeIGYjBvpywhZHOBZNCcgwCFv4eyaOhBDPKMz8MH7N4oVWTFJL4bIaibg4qjD99cCr3eDBPwsOXG_UnRXx50MEbIuqbLV9MaJH4CPTpAzcxHQsttYqJqxJCuKx3oWLFOzVeUykaxaEYl2zXahkNM7-6GyA

Valejo Liquid Mask
It is working pretty much the same way, i guess?

S'jet
Hellion
S'jet

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle Weathering Tutorial   Vehicle Weathering Tutorial I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 21 2012, 11:28

Havent tried vallejo, but it looks like the same stuff yeah. Any liquid latex should do the trick.
Back to top Go down
SmallVictory
Hellion
SmallVictory

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle Weathering Tutorial   Vehicle Weathering Tutorial I_icon_minitimeTue May 01 2012, 01:20

Nice! I bought some of this stuff a year ago, painted a piece of terrain, wasn't happy and shelved it. I think my mistake was not making large enough clumps with the sponge. I'm 100% trying this on my first raider comming up, thanks for the tutorial.
Back to top Go down
warhammerpaintservice
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle Weathering Tutorial   Vehicle Weathering Tutorial I_icon_minitimeFri May 11 2012, 08:26

this looks great !!!

only thing is ..... i dont use an airbrush to paint my vehicles (old skool brush here!!) so this technique is a bit hard for me to achieve. so it raises the question can you actually brush over the masking stuff (seems pretty solid)?
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle Weathering Tutorial   Vehicle Weathering Tutorial I_icon_minitimeFri May 11 2012, 23:14

There's no denying the result you get, it looks absolutely amazing. what kind of airbrush do you use? I've got the GW one but only used it to do an overall basecoat on some of my marines

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle Weathering Tutorial   Vehicle Weathering Tutorial I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vehicle Weathering Tutorial
Page 1 of 1