THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

40k... the hobby that you stick with...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mot666
Kabalite Warrior
mot666

40k... the hobby that you stick with... Empty
PostSubject: 40k... the hobby that you stick with...   40k... the hobby that you stick with... I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 21 2012, 16:26

Ive been playing since 2nd ed in '95. Who wants to reminise with me? I'll post a flick of my 2nd ed stuff next time its light outside.

Hows the game changed for you? For better or worse? How were your earliest experiences with the game? Any classic moments?

Im surprised to see it as big as it is these days, almost like its not such an obsure niche anymore.

For now I'll just say the look on someones face when they beat me for the first time of what would've been maybe 4 years playing regular games is one of my personal favourites.

I am the Master of Darkness, and of the Abyss... I am The Ancient One. Dont make me turn you into a lap dog. I've done it several times before and I wont hesitate to do it again. Seriously! Ironic isnt it? Being accused of necromancy, with a joke inspired by The 'Necronomicon' in my sig?
my project log:
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t2874-the-kabal-raining-bullets
now with csm:
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t6430-chaos-space-marines
PM me about commision work.
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: 40k... the hobby that you stick with...   40k... the hobby that you stick with... I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 21 2012, 16:49

Certain aspects that have changed have made it easier for Dark Eldar to survive on the battlefield and shed more blood than in 2nd ed, but for this they have sacrificed how customisable the HQ's were.
I would say it has become better for someone who is a serious, sompetative player, but for someone who just likes making odd models that are playable on the tabletop, it could have become slightly worse.

My favorite moment was the defeat of Chaos Soul Drinkers and Dark Angel's Deathwing at the hands of my Kabal. As i recall, it was 750pts, and i did what any good Archon should; let the other two forces weaken each other before i swoop in and drag Belial off into Commorragh. It was a good day.

40k... the hobby that you stick with... YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: 40k... the hobby that you stick with...   40k... the hobby that you stick with... I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 21 2012, 16:54

Dark eldar did not exisit in 2nd ed... it was 3rd for their release!

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
mot666
Kabalite Warrior
mot666

PostSubject: Re: 40k... the hobby that you stick with...   40k... the hobby that you stick with... I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 21 2012, 16:56

LOL!

(beaten to it) deldar were relesed along with 3rd. along side things like CWE tanks.

i like my models as much as i like playing. i rekon its got better for the more modeller type fiend.

I am the Master of Darkness, and of the Abyss... I am The Ancient One. Dont make me turn you into a lap dog. I've done it several times before and I wont hesitate to do it again. Seriously! Ironic isnt it? Being accused of necromancy, with a joke inspired by The 'Necronomicon' in my sig?
my project log:
now with csm:
Back to top Go down
lonewolf
Kabalite Warrior
lonewolf

PostSubject: Re: 40k... the hobby that you stick with...   40k... the hobby that you stick with... I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 21 2012, 22:34

still got my original Rogue Trader book, ahh the days of squatsand Zoats lol
any one else remember the Ere we go and Waaa da orks books? now those were full of fluff (still got mine)
one thing GW seems to be steering towards is less ability to customise your units.
i miss being able to create unique HQ charaters...

These are a few of my favourite things.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: 40k... the hobby that you stick with...   40k... the hobby that you stick with... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22 2012, 00:16

Remember the targeting system for shooting at vehicles in White Dwarf? The one with the grid that you placed and then moved according to your dice roll and subtracting BS? What was that, 91'? 92'? Before that, remember when vehicles had a W characteristic?

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: 40k... the hobby that you stick with...   40k... the hobby that you stick with... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22 2012, 03:26

i still have 'Ere we go'!!! Great for a read.

I remember....

Vehilce mounted orbital defence lasers

Orbital strike missiles that had a random radius of 4d6"

Skyboards that could drop grenades every 10" and moved 72"

Each grenade being resolved individually and then throwing 30 blind grenades which generated moving cover

Flight packs that moved you 30"+

My 18 harlequins being worth about 2500 points

The solitaire being 1100 pts by himself and being worth it!

Haywire grenades affecting power armour and boltguns and pretty much every marine model

The space marine dread going from comical (RT) to almost unkillable (2nd ed)

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
mot666
Kabalite Warrior
mot666

PostSubject: Re: 40k... the hobby that you stick with...   40k... the hobby that you stick with... I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22 2012, 11:57

i picked up the rouge trader book not long ago. so much to read. so much back ground.

-flight packs that allowed you to drop krak/frag grenades in mid air, or leave the board entirely. oh the dreaded krack grenade... even your lowly average joe could get one of the meanest anti vehicle items in the game.

edit: yay lead minies! sorry stuffs broken they've lived in a box for several house movings now.

40k... the hobby that you stick with... 101_1761

im pretty sure theres 1st ed guardians in there. with lasguns. YESSSS!

the guardians w/catapults, tanks, dragons, wraithguard, avatar, jetbikes, 2nd vyper and second walker were added late 3rd, early 4th ed i think(?) which i didnt play for lack of opponents. was nearing completely painted army before then. Anyone got a spare jetbike carpace handy?

40k... the hobby that you stick with... 101_1766

Wattchya got there son? One of my all time favourite models for quite a while there.

40k... the hobby that you stick with... 101_1765

Stuff i painted in my early teens, im 28 now.

my project log:
now with csm:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 40k... the hobby that you stick with...   40k... the hobby that you stick with... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

40k... the hobby that you stick with...
Page 1 of 1