THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Void Scorpions

Go down 
+16
kokigami
Siticus the Ancient
wilku
Eldur
SleepyPillow
Count Adhemar
The_Burning_Eye
Ghosttrain23
Cavash
Enfernux
speedfreek
GAR
citywidecrayon
Lord Clazaryn
S'jet
Chaeril
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Chaeril
Sybarite
Chaeril

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeWed May 09 2012, 20:37

Hey people

Been checking this site for some time now, searching for some inspiration on my brand new cult-style army.

Because I do not want to - again - collect mounts of unpainted miniatures, I did it the other way around this time; building an army list, then convert and paint as I go.

First goal is a PAINTED '40K in 40 minutes' style patrol, which I call a 'Sting'.

The paint job on this army will be inspired by wasps and scorpions, so too will the style of play, fast and hurtful when it hits, but sadly, easy to swat dead on the wall. Well, crap happens...

Just painted the first ten wyches I bought white (used to black undercoat for goblins, Empire and Imperial Guard, but what the hell...), after which I will be experimenting with the GW 'Mandragora Yellow' wash, then darkening the other parts.

I had been struggling on a feasable, fluff-rich yet playable 400 point '40K in 40 minutes' list, I would appreciate some feedback, here it comes:

- 8 wyches with splinter pistol and CCW, one with razorflails, one with hydra gauntlets, all with haywire grenades (target: enemy infantry, ASAP, haywires there if needed): 140 points
- their dedicated transport: a raider with dark lance, shimmerfield and shock prow (the idea is that this baby will just all out crash into the enemy, throw out its wyches, killing as it goes, and if it makes it alive, it can join the ravager on long range): 75 points
- fast attack: 3 standard reavers (just because I like both the models, the speed, and the bladevanes shock-attack): 66 points
- heavy support: a ravager with 3 dark lances, shimmerfield and shock prow (it will stay behind in the rear, but the shock prow is just cool, and hell, I was short 4 points anyway, plus if necessary I can also start using it): 120 points

Total point value: 401 points

As I use any and all of my armies as if they are 'horde', this exercise in 'choosing fancy stuff' is quite new to me. I am willing to scrap the shock prows, but what better way to use those 10 points? Nightshield extra on the raider???

Allright I hope I will get some input! I am quite sure about the wyches and will expand on all of this as I go along. Thanks!

Last edited by Tiresias on Mon Jun 11 2012, 10:26; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
S'jet
Hellion
S'jet

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeThu May 10 2012, 05:30

Sounds cool. The only thing i notice about your list, is that you cannot take 2 wych weapons in a squad that is less than 10 models. And i'm sure others will also suggest a heketrix with agonizer in that squad too, but at 400pts thats gunna be hard to fit in =)
Back to top Go down
Chaeril
Sybarite
Chaeril

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeThu May 10 2012, 08:55

my army book says that I can take a special wych weapon for every five models? In any case, I have decided to throw the razorflails out and upgrade the hydra gauntlet wych to a hekatrix, for a 140 points 21-26 CC attacks unit. Surely a lot of fancy stuff would make the unit stronger, yet I like the simplicity of them just fighting with knifes, and just throwing a lot of regular dice seems to help the plain velocity I am aiming for... Arena madness!

Come to think of it, a hekatrix with hydra gauntlet seems to wring the rules somewhat (first upgrade one of the wyches to the gauntlets, then upgrade that wych to a hekatrix), my local GW shop (Ghent, Belgium) says it is unclear but seems to be possible. I can't find this matter in FAQ's, and I don't see the problem with it, but others might - did anyone have this dilemma before???

If you say it is impossible, then it is time to cut open my assembled wyches again and, yes, go for that agonizer, probably... Can't be cutting models the second I start painting though - which is tomorrow...
Back to top Go down
Chaeril
Sybarite
Chaeril

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeThu May 10 2012, 10:32

Ah and to help the fluff (as this is the project page, not a tactical discussion), I will pair this 'sting' to my own Imperial Guard list, the 'Nomad Legion', based on Necromunda proper (and its endless ash wastes). Meaning deep yellow-and-black uniforms but ashed bases. This has both playing value (as I can just invite somebody without his or her own army and play both lists against each other) and fluff value (as my Hornets are plainly invading the Necromunda hives and ash wastes for cattle and fun).

I do not have much else to offer at this point, it will grow as I go along, but I am deeply charmed by spaceborn pirates. I think my cult will be out there in real space more often than not, taking their arena fighting skills to fight a true challenge: combatting the endless number of xenos on their own grounds. Boredom can be a bitch, as every Dark Eldar knows... Why wager your skills in a ritualized arena in Commoragh if you can just as easily play hit-and-run against the billions of mortal guardsmen out there? As in my world the Necromundan ash waste nomads are experts in guerilla warfare and stealth, this will make them worthy opponents for a cult looking for a challenge.

I am interested to learn how my own 35-man strong 400 points IG patrol, with 2 multilaser scout sentinels and a Chimera, can hold out against these debased raiders... its infantry chopped into sushi, probably, and those lowly sentinels becoming something to fear...
Back to top Go down
Lord Clazaryn
Kabalite Warrior
Lord Clazaryn

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeThu May 10 2012, 12:19

In relation to your rules question, it provoked me to start a new topic about it and The New AIDS gave quite a good answer. Check it out...

Chaeril
Sybarite
Chaeril

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeThu May 10 2012, 12:44

Thanks for bringing that up! Yet I feel somewhat ... stubborn on it elephant

EDIT: it seems to be OK! So no cutting up assembled mini's Smile
Back to top Go down
citywidecrayon
Hellion
citywidecrayon

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeThu May 10 2012, 20:02

Hey man, I like the idea you're going with and I'm a fan of building up the two separate forces in parallel, it's a nice idea and one which I'd like to do but know I'd fail at Razz
Anyway, i'll be interested to see what you come up with

Back to top Go down
Chaeril
Sybarite
Chaeril

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeThu May 10 2012, 22:08

My first wych coming up!

My apologies for the lousy webcam photography, I'll get my hands on a decent camera once the units start developing to their final stage. At least I like the deep yellow I managed to get, this model is not finished yet, but it seems the whole wych squad will have a definite cyberpunk-arena-sports-team-feel without going over the top (I cut off all redundant spikes and stuff). Blood bowl on the actual battlefield!

i also really like how the red contrasts with the yellow. Plus, how the wychsuit is plainly designed at the same factory as the splinter pistol: both mesh into one another like they are really high tech.

Void Scorpions Wych1

And just to let you know what she and her sisters and brothers are up against, here a Nomad Legion trooper:

Void Scorpions Nomadlegiontrooper

Never thought I would say that, but I think I will be missing his awesome 5+ armour safe rabbit
Back to top Go down
Chaeril
Sybarite
Chaeril

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeFri May 11 2012, 10:22

My very first wych is FINISHED!

It seems to lack something somewhere, but the overall contrast is good, and I think that the army as a whole might be cool!

Void Scorpions Wych2

Void Scorpions Wych3
Back to top Go down
Chaeril
Sybarite
Chaeril

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeSat May 12 2012, 10:08

OK, next decision: how to expand this list to a 'Sting' of 1000 points? I will only do this once my first 400 points are both bought AND painted, and since I have a very limited budget this will take months.

But the decision stands to just double the above list with limited add-ons (only the necessary stuff, I guess I will always be a horde person, as I always choose more bodies over more stuff - example being managing to squeeze in an extra reaver by throwing out special weapons, and to hell with armour saves...), then fill it up with a succubus and 4 bloodbrides in a venom. And yes I know the discussion is still on whether a hekatrix should have hydra gauntlets, but...

Like this:

HQ / ELITE

- succubus with hydra gauntlets and haywire grenades, with 4 bloodbrides with haywire grenades, in a venom with 2 splinter cannons and flickerfield = 200 points

(basic CC attack potential: 12 WS4 attacks + 4+D6 WS8 attacks)

TROOPS

- wych squad: 9 wyches with haywire grenades and a hekatrix with hydra gauntlets, in a raider with dark lance and flickerfield = 210 points
- wych squad: 9 wyches with haywire grenades and a hekatrix with hydra gauntlets, in a raider with dark lance and flickerfield = 210 points

(basic CC attack potential: 2 times 20+D6 WS4 attacks)

FAST ATTACK

- 5 regular reavers and a reaver arena champion with grav talons = 152 points

(I don't know whether the grav talons will have any great effect, but I like the idea of a pinning test as a bladevane attack decapitates your friends! In any case, cheaper than the cluster caltrops and easier to roll with one hand of dice)

HEAVY SUPPORT

- ravager with 3 dark lances and flickerfield = 115 points
- ravager with 3 dark lances and flickerfield = 115 points

(together with the raiders, the ravagers offer me a decent 8 dark lance shots. If that is not enough to remove some mechanized units, the 25 haywire grenade armed models can intervene)

GRAND TOTAL

1002 points

EDIT: And! My 5 first wyches are finished jocolor

Void Scorpions Wyches
Back to top Go down
Chaeril
Sybarite
Chaeril

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeMon May 14 2012, 12:28

OK, I have read some tactica's, and there seems to be consensus that the agonizer is needed to augment the wyches in a fearful manner. So, I am going to put my stubborn self aside and replace all hydra gauntlets by agonizers, the losses will be taken from the reaver squadron... Scratch the arena champion, add 3 agonizers and a venom blade...
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeTue May 15 2012, 15:28

Agonizer, while expensive, is your friend.

Nice start to this army. I am looking forward to seeing more.

Void Scorpions Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Chaeril
Sybarite
Chaeril

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeTue May 15 2012, 15:53

You don't find the yellow wychsuits to be somewhat over the top?

Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeTue May 15 2012, 16:12

nope.

Polka dots would be over the top.

Void Scorpions Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Chaeril
Sybarite
Chaeril

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeTue May 15 2012, 18:57

GAR wrote:
nope.

Polka dots would be over the top.

Don't give me ideas santa

In any case, this is a 'one purchase each month' army. So in may my first 10 wyches are finished, in june I am going to buy me some reavers.
Back to top Go down
speedfreek
Sybarite
speedfreek

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeThu May 17 2012, 04:15

Unless you use more than five vivid colours on each model you're on the right side of over the top...
Back to top Go down
Chaeril
Sybarite
Chaeril

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02 2012, 10:24

Finally I have a new camera! Now, without further due, my first sharp wych picture Smile

Void Scorpions Wychsharp

My painting technique, while imperfect, is rewarding. I used to paint black undercoats, white is new to me.

It goes like this:

- white undercoat
- yellow shade
- black for the parts that don't remain yellow
- flesh and metal where needed
- white drybrush over the entire model (should be less than here, you learn by doing)
- red and details
- sawdust on base, dark and lighter grey to represent ash plains
Back to top Go down
Enfernux
Wych
Enfernux

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02 2012, 13:30

Like the crashing idea, but the raiders hasn't got the amunt of distance. Still, better than a plain crashing modell. But you know, your enemy will autopen you on a 24" ram.
The concept is good, but that color theme is just...iduno...wrong?
Why dont you make it black and yellow with a little bronz/brown, like a normal hornet? I think that would look awesome!
Moving to 1k, every hornet has a stinger. If young want to sting from afar, blasterborn/razorwings/voidravens are good. Blasterborn or ravagers if you want to go cheep. If you want a "deep inpact poison" for your hornet, i would say incubi.

On the thought of wytch weapons: +d6 attacks from a hydra may seem good, but i would go with razorflails in that way of thinking - personal preference only for a "hard hitting" wytch.
As i see, you are useing reavers. I like the speed demon concept, moveing 36", geting 3+ and dealing tons of damage to infantry. I would upgrade them with better talons.

On the concept. Love it, fun to play, but i would include more reavers, maybe gie them a stinger as well with haywire or heatlance, but that is just my tactician personality talking again ^^. Ideas on the paint: Yellow base, black strypes, bronz/brown on the edges and decorations, bronz weapons, black hair. Not sayin do it, just sayin it would look better to ME Very Happy

thumbs up, keep up the good work.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/enfer.nux?ref=tn_tnmn
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02 2012, 14:27

Enfernux wrote:

Personally, I think it is a nice change to see something other than the standard black with *insert colour here* highlights.

Good work with your Void Hornets this far. Very Happy

Void Scorpions YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
Chaeril
Sybarite
Chaeril

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02 2012, 16:54

Cavash wrote:
Enfernux wrote:

Personally, I think it is a nice change to see something other than the standard black with *insert colour here* highlights.

Good work with your Void Hornets this far. Very Happy

Perhaps... I have my doubts too. In any case, you gotta pick your poison...

And you DO have white or light blue Dark Eldar armies out there!

Back to top Go down
Ghosttrain23
Hellion
Ghosttrain23

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04 2012, 03:26

I like how the yellow looks. reminds me of bruce lee's track suit and him beating people to pulp. haha.

Also I just started painting my models, testing my first one with white armour, and I get you when you Tireslas when you say you have your doubts about the colors.

Anyhow, what ever color scheme makes you want to paint more, can't be wrong. Thats my take.

Chaeril
Sybarite
Chaeril

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04 2012, 09:52

Well, I like it, but 'something' is too much. The next generation I will be painting somewhat darker, more black over the armour plating - if you can call a 6+ save 'armour' Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
Enfernux
Wych
Enfernux

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04 2012, 10:30

Well, its better than being naked Very Happy
mmm...hold that thought: Naked women charging and killing the imperiums supersoldiers. I want naked women Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Chaeril
Sybarite
Chaeril

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04 2012, 11:02

Enfernux wrote:
Well, its better than being naked Very Happy
mmm...hold that thought: Naked women charging and killing the imperiums supersoldiers. I want naked women Very Happy

Wink It sure would give them something to fear! Plus, Necrons and Tyranids are 'naked' too Razz
Back to top Go down
Enfernux
Wych
Enfernux

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04 2012, 11:23

Nids are bugs to me so they dont count, Necron are robots, so they dont need clothes. But yeah, they are to ^^

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Void Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Void Scorpions   Void Scorpions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Void Scorpions
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next