THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Who actually plays Fantasy?

Go down 
+28
Calyptra
Ispa
ndphoto
the_dukes_scion
Chaeril
Archon Farath Mure
Gobsmakked
helvexis
DominicJ
Mngwa
baster
Devilish
Zaakath
Khaelir
Grendel007
Marquis Vaulkhere
Saintspirit
Ciirian
Shadows Revenge
Siticus the Ancient
V'rach
The_Burning_Eye
Ben_S
KnightSeerValkia
Cavash
Firdeth
Evil Space Elves
Sky Serpent
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Do you play Fantasy?
Yes - I regularly play it
Who actually plays Fantasy? - Page 2 Voteba1320%Who actually plays Fantasy? - Page 2 Voteba15
 20% [ 14 ]
Yeah - only when I get the chance
Who actually plays Fantasy? - Page 2 Voteba1333%Who actually plays Fantasy? - Page 2 Voteba15
 33% [ 23 ]
Nope - everyone round here plays 40k
Who actually plays Fantasy? - Page 2 Voteba137%Who actually plays Fantasy? - Page 2 Voteba15
 7% [ 5 ]
No - I just play 40k
Who actually plays Fantasy? - Page 2 Voteba1339%Who actually plays Fantasy? - Page 2 Voteba15
 39% [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 69

AuthorMessage
Archon Farath Mure
Kabalite Warrior

Who actually plays Fantasy? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 11 2013, 05:06

I started the hobby with Orcs and Goblins, about 3-4 years ago. I have 5000 points of them, and it looks like I'll be going back into Fantasy with an all cavalry/chariots Khornate WoC army.

(11/5/2013: A few things have been added to the Kabal's fluff, most notably shifting their base of operations into the Webway, sort of, and adding an alliance with the Alpha Legion, or at least a few heads of the hydra.)
Back to top Go down
Chaeril
Sybarite
Chaeril

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03 2013, 21:45

Got an army of (pure) goblins and an army of Empire/Kislev, and I tend to play WFB a whole lot more often than I do 40K (which is seldom, in both cases...)

Back to top Go down
the_dukes_scion
Hellion
the_dukes_scion

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 23 2013, 22:33

I have noticed a bit of a shift in my local scene, with many players moving to fantasy as there regular game and 40K as the occasional. There is a core group of us the play 40K consistently (usually once a week) and participate in the monthly tournament, but there has definitely been a less than subtle shift away from 40K. Not sure of the reason but hey, it is what it is.

I have started a (very small) collection of Warriors of Chaos, not enough to play with yet. That will probably be next years project. Would like to get my hands on a mini fantasy rulebook though if anyone is willing to part with one.

Hellion
ndphoto

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 03 2015, 23:45

I play Daemons in Fantasy at my local club (Warden's of the North) based in Wigan and have just been running a competition. We have a good few guys at the club who play Fantasy, and even more who play 40k. I find fantasy players are harder to find but if you keep pushing the advertising they gradually come along to the club. I'm just starting a DE 40k army so I can take part in the 40k competition at the club too but my core game will continue to be Fantasy.
Back to top Go down
Ispa
Hellion
Ispa

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 04 2015, 00:16

I am currently in the middle of trying to sell me Ogres army as i have not played it for over a year and WH40k is the main game in my area (closely followed by infinity and Xwing)

By the way PM if any one is interested in buying roughly 3000 points of ogres (2400 built and painted rest on sprue) australia based though Sad

Wych
Calyptra

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 04 2015, 01:18

Being a Vampire Counts player, I approve of this threadomancy.

Back to top Go down
punk possum
Kabalite Warrior
punk possum

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 11 2015, 01:03

Well for me I love Fantasy, I find it more tactical than 40K. Less of a chuck enough dice at it and you will win, more of a use the right tool for the job get the timing right or get wrecked.
I am a inveterate fan of pointy ears so I have 4000ish points of Dark elves and am currently reworking my wood elves that have been a hobby staple of mine for the last 30ish years. I have been able to get a game a week in pretty regularly. Mind you I am "that guy" that plays a magic heavy Dark elf list but I find elves in general to be a precision weapon, Magic isn't going to win you every game it just helps!
That said 40K is almost the only game in town and I'm loving the way that Dark eldar really make me think about how I play.
Back to top Go down
T.D.
Slave
T.D.

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26 2015, 20:54

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere:

Who actually plays Fantasy? - Page 2 File

Would make a nice Blood Angel army Razz
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26 2015, 21:11

Yes it has, in the "Other News & Rumours" section:

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12496-new-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-models-first-pics-leaked

If you swapped the clunky feet, they would be good for BA. I have my eye on those wing sets.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27 2015, 11:14

I have tried on three seperate occasions to try Fantasy.
First I tried Chaos, then Dark Elves, then Vampire Counts (note a theme).

Each time, I just never got on with the system.
I think I just never liked the idea of moving in ranks. Ok its a history-based thing, but even when running away? Nah, didn't like it.

http://www.escelionfilms.com
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30 2015, 17:05

I'm excited for the future Elves sets. #kitbash

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
The Shredder
Trueborn
The Shredder

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06 2015, 19:37

I have a VC army, but I rarely play Fantasy these days (and haven't played any End Times stuff). The problems my group have basically come down to:

1) The magic system is, at best, screwy and, at worst, decides games with minimal effort. I think there are too many OP spells (who thought being able to bowl a Black Hole into the enemy army would make for a good game?), and too much randomness. To illustrate the second point:
First you random your wizard's spells
Then, each turn, you randomly determine how much magic exists
Also, for each wizard you have, you can see if you randomly get extra magic to use.
So, to go about casting a spell, you throw dice it and hope you random enough to beat the spell's casting value
But beware - your opponent can try to beat your random with his own random
Also, worse still, if you random too much random then you'll be subject to Perils of the Warp - thus forcing you to roll on a random table to determine your fate.

And that's before you even get into rolling dice for the actual spell effects...

2) I feel there's too much emphasis on heroes and monsters. There are too many single models that can mow down R&F troops, whilst being virtually immune to their attacks. I'd like my blocks of troops to be more than spare wounds for my heroes and, likewise, I don't want to be playing a game that's basically 'first player to kill the enemy hero/monster wins, because the rest of their army is irrelevant'.

At least the End Times helped this by taking the focus of heroes and large models and... oh, wait. Rolling Eyes

That being said, compared to Age of Sigmar, Warhammer Fantasy is the pinnacle of excellent game design.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who actually plays Fantasy?   Who actually plays Fantasy? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who actually plays Fantasy?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2