THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Kabal of the Depths

Go down 
+6
Count Adhemar
Firdeth
Evil Space Elves
The_Burning_Eye
Mortarion
Ghosttrain23
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Ghosttrain23
Hellion
Ghosttrain23

Kabal of the Depths  Empty
PostSubject: Kabal of the Depths    Kabal of the Depths  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03 2012, 06:33

Hello everyone,

So here I start my project log. I'm new to dark eldar, been playing 40k since 4ed. and always been more of a hobbiest than a gamer. English is not my first language, so pardon if I make any silly grammar mistakes during this log.

I used to play Tau for some years, until the codex started to fall behind, making them harder and harder to play. Not impossible, but its not as fun as it used to be. Then I decided to start a new army, with a background opposite of my former army. I couldn't think of anything more opposite than Tau than Dark eldar. And its hard not to fall in love with the awesome models. So I started buying a few models here and there. Now my army is growing slowly and I see it taking shape. Haven't painted my first DE models, since im still deciding on color schemes. I will soon post to two test schemes to await for any thoughts or criticism.

I decided to name my army Kabal of the Depths, because of my small obsession with the depths of the ocean. So I want to paint and army that looks different from what has been seen. Also somewhat forgotten, with dirty armor and lots of battle damage. The paint schemes i have in mind might juxtapose the idea of "Depths". You will see soon enough what I mean, but thats the effect im looking for.

Now I will show my lasted work of DE, the Baron. One of my favorite HQ's based on background, then comes Lady.

So I started with these materials. I haven't used green stuff in a long, long time. Had an unopened pack from way back under my bed, and finally came time to use some. The cape, came from Island of Blood set. Got the idea from " just another dark eldar blog"
Kabal of the Depths  Th_Baron1

Now here I have done the hair with green stuff, somewhat attached the cape to the torso, and In the background you can see his custom board, made with extra raider bits.
Kabal of the Depths  Th_Baron2

Heres the Baron done after some hard work. I felt like attaching some more skulls to his hand, since I picture him being a bragger of sorts. Nothing else could paint this image of him better for me than handing him some skulls on a rope to wack people with. haha.
Kabal of the Depths  Th_Baron3

And heres the other side angle on him,
Kabal of the Depths  Th_Baron4

So thats my lastest work. After being assembled, on his first game, he took down a Hive Tyrant with no sweat. Also with the help of 8 Hellions. But it was mostly him. Couldn't be prouder of the model.

Now I imagine many people look trough the logs to check out paintjobs more often than anything else. At least, thats what I did at first. So since I dont have any DE figures painted, I will show some of my Tau warriors to include a sample of my painting skills. I consider myself a decent painter, tabletop quality, but always looking to improve myself. So as this log progresses my skill at painting should get better.
Kabal of the Depths  Th_TauSample1

I'm looking for any kind of comments,feedback criticsm, etc. As I will love to know where to improve and how to. Hope you guys enjoy the log What a Face
Back to top Go down
Mortarion
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Depths    Kabal of the Depths  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03 2012, 09:21

Cool conversion. Looking forward to seeing it painted.
Back to top Go down
Ghosttrain23
Hellion
Ghosttrain23

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Depths    Kabal of the Depths  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04 2012, 03:06

So here is my first color scheme test. Kept it simple just to get feedback on how it looks. Plus added some battle damage to the armour, making it look used and old. Which is what I want for my army.

Kabal of the Depths  Th_DEtest1

Kabal of the Depths  Th_DEtest2

Kabal of the Depths  Th_DEtest3

I know It looks like white scar space marines, but I like the color scheme. What do you guys think? does the color scheme fit the DE? Or is the color white just not meant for DE. I liked the scheme at first, but I dont know why im not complete sold for it.

Also I have to paint my second test color scheme, which is black and yellow. I will post a test model soon.

Any advices or comments are welcome.

Mortarion
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Depths    Kabal of the Depths  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04 2012, 16:38

I think it looks good. White is a colour that can look beautiful on Dark eldar if done right. However, I would paint the gun barrel black, like the rest of the gun. Right nop it blends too much with the hand and becomes a large patch of colour that draws too much attention.

And the white could perhaps benefit from a bit more shading.
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Depths    Kabal of the Depths  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04 2012, 23:21

No reason why DE shouldn't wear white, after all it shows up the blood better!

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Depths    Kabal of the Depths  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 05 2012, 01:03

I would dig the hell out of your DE in white. I've only painted one white and black army(Tau) with red accents and it turned out very well with minimal effort.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Ghosttrain23
Hellion
Ghosttrain23

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Depths    Kabal of the Depths  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06 2012, 05:03

I'm settling for white. with gold and red markings. Working to finish a warrior squad. Will upload pics as soon as done.

@Mortarlon, im taking your advice to paint the guns black.

@The_Burning_Eye, Yess! def. going to see some blood here haha.

@ Evil Space Elves, any advices on painting white? Its my first time, and im fallowing the steps for white scar marines in the latest White Dwarf and others from From The Warp blog, which has been really helpful.

Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Depths    Kabal of the Depths  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06 2012, 05:11

I would use whatever replaced Astronomicon Grey, wash with a little Nuln Oil, highlight with white. Quick and easy. I'll post a pic of some of my Tau that I did this way if it will help.

Back to top Go down
Firdeth
Hellion
Firdeth

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Depths    Kabal of the Depths  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06 2012, 10:40

White DE...it actually works but what a #@* color to paint. Good luck with the rest, hope you find a quick and easy scheme for it, at least the new foundations/base white covers really well.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Depths    Kabal of the Depths  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06 2012, 10:54

I used a fairly simple but time-consuming white technique for my Sanguinary Priests which looked very nice so I did a test model for a white colour scheme for my trueborn but frankly, life's too short! I don't mind doing it for 2 or 3 priests but not for whole units of Trueborn!

Ghosttrain23
Hellion
Ghosttrain23

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Depths    Kabal of the Depths  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06 2012, 18:23

First team of warriors on the works, just need to do details now.. still thinking about hair color. red? green? or black with color streaks?
Kabal of the Depths  Warrio10

@Firdeth, I actually found a simple 4 step way to paint white. Of course, had to spend a few bucks on new paints. which are amazing!

@Count Adhemar, I know, but I want my white armor to look old, used. So i dont aim for that clean through white, which saves me time. and the new paints make it a super easy job to do as well. getting nice coverage first way through.

Ghosttrain23
Hellion
Ghosttrain23

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Depths    Kabal of the Depths  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06 2012, 21:43

Last update for today before I head to work. Got done with most details. Still have to apply some washes here and there and clean up. plus add a little grey to the guns.

Kabal of the Depths  Warrio11

What do you guys think?

The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Depths    Kabal of the Depths  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06 2012, 21:56

If they were mine I'd have perhaps gone for a bigger variation between the white and the shaded parts of the armour, it would make the white stand out more and consequently the whole model would be more striking, but I like the idea behind what you've done.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Ghosttrain23
Hellion
Ghosttrain23

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Depths    Kabal of the Depths  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 06 2012, 23:44

So, no work today. But first test team is done. Still undecided about hair color.

Kabal of the Depths  Warrio12
Kabal of the Depths  Warrio13

Comments or advices welcome.

@The_Burning_Eye, I know, but i find it hard without making them look like a chess board. I might learn some shading techniques for the white to show up with better contrast for later models. The Wyches (next team im painting) will definitely have more contrast due to their amount of clothing and few pieces of armour.

Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Depths    Kabal of the Depths  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 07 2012, 01:23

I like it! Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
KapitanGift
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Depths    Kabal of the Depths  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 07 2012, 07:51

This white and red scheme looks epic! A little bit of shading to make some of the edges in the armor pop out (it might be the picture quality on my laptop I don't know for sure) but otherwise it's unique and looks stunning!

Hellion
Ghosttrain23

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Depths    Kabal of the Depths  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 07 2012, 23:29

Thanks Guys.
And yes, I have to work on my shading techniques.
Heres a Venom test. (WIP)

Kabal of the Depths  Venom110

Kabal of the Depths  Venom210

Any Dead Space fans out there? The hamies, wracks and etc remind me of the necromorphs. So thats the marker symbol on the side.

GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Depths    Kabal of the Depths  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 08 2012, 13:40

I like the white scheme.

I see that you have used grey as a shade for the white, and that's fine. One of the tings that really makes the white look white is to use an offwhite color as your base color and then highlight it with pure white.

The color I like most for white is P3 frostbite. It is a very pale blue, lighter than a birdegg. It looks like snow in the shade. I use this as my main color and then highlight it with white.

Anyhoo, just a thought for you moving forward.

Kabal of the Depths  Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Depths    Kabal of the Depths  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 08 2012, 14:01

I've always adored white armor schemes ever since setting my eyes on Stormtroopers. I'm really digging the venom and your troops look really good in a group shot like that. Great stuff here, keep on rocking!

Sith'ari
Hellion
Sith'ari

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Depths    Kabal of the Depths  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 08 2012, 16:52

Nice work! A whole army painted this way will look great on the tabletop. The faces look like they could use another highlight although that might just be the photo.

Also props for the Dead Space reference - man I love that game! Cool

Hellion
Ghosttrain23

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Depths    Kabal of the Depths  I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13 2012, 04:53

Some time since last updated. Work taking time away to paint -_-.

Well here is a group pic of what i have ready, and whats coming next.
Kabal of the Depths  Group110

One neglected purple warrior on the back. haha

Venom now done. Somewhat frustrating painting my first white vehicle. but managed to finish it.
Kabal of the Depths  Venomd10
Kabal of the Depths  Venomd11
Kabal of the Depths  Venomd12

Thanks for the comments and advices,

@Gar, I'm going to try that technique with the wyches.
@Siticus the Ancient, Viva Star Wars! Got part of my inspiration from them. Bad guys rocking white. just too cool .
@Sith'ari, Yeah, i have to work on my highlights. not the photos faults. haha.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Depths    Kabal of the Depths  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kabal of the Depths
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs
-
Jump to: