THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Stripping plastic models of paint.

Go down 
+5
Garfy
Foo
Xelkireth
Gobsmakked
Venkh
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Venkh
Kabalite Warrior
Venkh

Stripping plastic models of paint. Empty
PostSubject: Stripping plastic models of paint.   Stripping plastic models of paint. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05 2011, 20:01

Hi Guys

I thought it would be worth posting this for everyones benefit.

I recently read online that dettol strips plastic models of their paint so I though i would give it a go.

I filled a glass jar 1/3 full of water and 1/3 full of dettol (the basic stuff you get from the supermarket.

I immersed my 3 plastic vypers in the liquid and left it overnight.

The next day I went and had a look.

The paint on the models had softened into a slimy film which could easily be scrubbed off with an old toothbrush. Most of the paint came off i one scrub and i put them back in the solution for anotheer soak.

I then got a tub of near boiling water and scrubbed the models again before dropping them into the water.

This got rid of 99% of the paint and the models were completely undamaged.

There was still a greasy residue on the models so i scrubbed them again, this time using nail polish remover, being careful to rise the models afterwards, this seemed to work and the models were smooth afterwards.

Things to note:

1. The paint dries again soon after exposure to air. It forms blobs which stain clothes and skin.
2. Yor models will smell strongly of dettol for a couple of days after. I suspec that undercoating will remove the smell completely.
3. Glass parts like cockpits do no come out clear. Not sure how to fix this really.
4. The dettol also seems to melt glue but not at the same rate as nitro mors or acetone.

Over all the experiment was a huge success.

The other thing to note is that dettol is competely safe and non toxic, it is often used as a cleaner in hospitals. Much better than my old plastic cleaner, brake fluid, which has all sorts of nasty properties.

So hit e-bay, buy something ruined by a 10 year old and have a go. I think you will be pleased with the results!
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Stripping plastic models of paint.   Stripping plastic models of paint. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05 2011, 20:24

Good report Venkh, thank you very much. This is one of the most commonly asked questions on 40K hobby sites and there are usually multiple, detailed threads that can be found quite easily. It will be good to have one build up here too over time.

Personally, I find that the biggest factor in attempting to strip old paint off models is what type of paint the previous own used. I usually use plain rubbing alcohol from the local pharmacy/chemist shop with an old toothbrush, quite safe for yourself and for plastic models. But recently I bought some metals that were black primed and then partially painted and not even Goof Off got rid of everything. I finally blasted them all over with a Dremel and a softish polishing attachment.

Won't ever do that with Finecast, though!

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Stripping plastic models of paint.   Stripping plastic models of paint. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05 2011, 20:55

Simple Green works really good too on plastic and pewter models.
Back to top Go down
Foo
Kabalite Warrior
Foo

PostSubject: Re: Stripping plastic models of paint.   Stripping plastic models of paint. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05 2011, 22:22

How many North American readers are asking, "What the crap is Dettol?" right now? I don't think they even sell it outside of Europe!
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Stripping plastic models of paint.   Stripping plastic models of paint. I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06 2011, 00:41

I had to Google it.
Back to top Go down
Venkh
Kabalite Warrior
Venkh

PostSubject: Re: Stripping plastic models of paint.   Stripping plastic models of paint. I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06 2011, 00:51

I think that Dettol and Simple Green are similar. I think that Simple Green is available in Europe now. If i ever see any in the shops ill try it.

I have also heard that cheap vesions of the same products dont work so well. The active ingredient in Dettol is Chloroxylenol. Not sure what is in Simple Green.

Last edited by Venkh on Mon Jun 06 2011, 01:04; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Stripping plastic models of paint.   Stripping plastic models of paint. I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06 2011, 00:53

Simple Green smells funny. Like licorice.
Back to top Go down
Venkh
Kabalite Warrior
Venkh

PostSubject: Re: Stripping plastic models of paint.   Stripping plastic models of paint. I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06 2011, 01:08

Dettol smells of hospitals, but thats probably because it is an antiseptic and is used in hospitals Smile

It goes milky when diluted with water. Wierd stuff.
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Stripping plastic models of paint.   Stripping plastic models of paint. I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06 2011, 02:30

That is weird. Simple Green takes on an oil texture when there is stripped paint with it. It's also biodegradable.
Back to top Go down
Garfy
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Stripping plastic models of paint.   Stripping plastic models of paint. I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06 2011, 20:51

Acetone free nail polish remover from Superdrug in the UK is amazing.

Stripping plastic models of paint. 215x0-7-75-1-a0

Kabalite Warrior
Venkh

PostSubject: Re: Stripping plastic models of paint.   Stripping plastic models of paint. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07 2011, 17:00

i take it it doesnt damage plastic?

Anyone tried stripping resin yet? My biggest fear is losing small details during the scrubbing phase
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Stripping plastic models of paint.   Stripping plastic models of paint. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07 2011, 18:03

I'm pretty sure it doesn't, BUT there is high chance that nail polish remover WILL damage bases since they are made from cheapest plastic possible...

About resin:
You should not use heat (like putting jar on radiator), since it WILL damage resin (especially Failcast). Best way to be sure is to use sprue for testing.

Funny fthing: I had episode with old (ie one that expired 2 months before casting) resin parts that changed into "rubber" from bath in 90% alcohol. Did not harmed "fresh" resin tho. Weird, it was as hard as rest...
Back to top Go down
Raucir Lustingclaw
Kabalite Warrior
Raucir Lustingclaw

PostSubject: Re: Stripping plastic models of paint.   Stripping plastic models of paint. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10 2011, 10:49

I've been using the Dettol technique for some time now, and I highly approve of your posting a tutorial.

I managed to save an Ogre with about 3ml's worth of paint on him. It took a couple of rounds in the jar, but otherwise worked a treat!

I found that leaving the model in overnight works well, and giving the container a shake in passing is both satisfying and helps swoosh the stripped paint off to get the Dettol access to the nooks and crannies of the model.

The wonderful thing about the technique is that it smells nice and has absolutely no detrimental effect on the model itself, as far as I've been able to tell. I left my first ever model - an incredibly badly painted SM Captain from the AOBR box - in the jar for three days, no warping or anything. Brilliant!

Raucir.

P.S. - only really applicable to UK residents, possibly Europe, does anyone remember the adverts with the beardy guy that used to advertise Dettol? He had a rather interesting, glottal voice which I'm trying to reproduce, but I can't find references anywhere. PM if you remember it at all.

Slave
darthplagis

PostSubject: Re: Stripping plastic models of paint.   Stripping plastic models of paint. I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 11 2011, 00:18

i have not used dettol but i do use and reccomend 'fairy powerspray'

i have stripped my FW avatar of khaine 2 times with no loss of detail or any damage at all to the texture.

it works fine on metals and plastics too, though it 'can' soften plastics after a long time, so let them sit an hour or so in a plastic tub and clean with a tooth brush.

im not sure if it can be obtained outside of europe though but for all you EU guys its great Smile
Back to top Go down
Archon Levitas
Slave
Archon Levitas

PostSubject: Re: Stripping plastic models of paint.   Stripping plastic models of paint. I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13 2011, 13:14

I've heard everyone going on about the magic of simple green for some time now but sadly, you can't buy it in Australia. But Dettol is sold here in Aus and if it works just as well.......... I'll get back to you but if it works then you will have saved me about 1000 points of eldar!

Thanks in advance.

Blood Runs. Anger Rises. Death Wakes. War Calls!"

(Eldar Codex, Pg 21, last 2 lines)

Kabal of the Last Hatred: We will bear a grudge.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stripping plastic models of paint.   Stripping plastic models of paint. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stripping plastic models of paint.
Page 1 of 1