THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Talos useful in 6th?

Go down 
+4
Mushkilla
Shadows Revenge
Fruz
Setomidor
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Setomidor
Kabalite Warrior

Talos useful in 6th? Empty
PostSubject: Talos useful in 6th?   Talos useful in 6th? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08 2012, 11:40

I kind of have a thing for the Talos, but I'm hard pressed to motivate the use of the Talos compared to other HS alternatives. I guess that's even more so with Flyers being popular. Anyone found a good use for the Talos in 6th ed? Please do tell?

In the meantime, let's look at the main rules for MC's i 6th;

Fear, Hammer of Wrath, Relentless, and Smash

Fear is an OK but not very significant upgrade
Hammer of Wrath means another S7 hit when charging, quite nice
Relentless has no effect for the Talos whatsoever.
Smash attack is a very nice boon, actually combing nicely with Random Attacks since the half amount of attacks is rounded up when using Smash. For example; 3 normal attacks can be substituted for 2 Smash attacks at S10, WS5 and I4.

A slightly overlooked feature of the Talos in 6:th edition might be the TL Heat Lance upgrade. If shooting at Flyers for instance, hitting on 6's means the lower BS of the Talos doesn't matter at all and having the lance TL in effect means two changes to roll the much needed 6 to-hit.

Back to top Go down
Fruz
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Talos useful in 6th?   Talos useful in 6th? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08 2012, 15:10

but it is still a slow creature that can't embark in a transport which is ( imho ) the main problem, and it can't assault coming from a WWP anymore.
Back to top Go down
Setomidor
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Talos useful in 6th?   Talos useful in 6th? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08 2012, 15:11

Yes, the drawbacks are obvious, that's why finding the strengths is more interesting Smile
Back to top Go down
Fruz
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Talos useful in 6th?   Talos useful in 6th? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08 2012, 15:16

well having flyers means most likely that heavy support slots are gonna be for ravagers / flyers only as atm, we don't have anything else against flying stuff :S.
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Talos useful in 6th?   Talos useful in 6th? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08 2012, 15:23

The problem with the Talos is what all MCs suffer currently. They are expensive single models. Other races with MCs have ways to make them more surivivable (Daemons have Fateweaver and Flying, Tyranids have a ton of wounds and Flying, Eldar have Fortune) Our trick was WWPs, but sadly now that we cant assault from it, I think you will see our MCs less and less. Are the decent for what they do, yes, are there better things in the same slot??? definately...

that being said, I think even just one can be used effectively, even in a raider rush list. You just have to manuveur it so it always has a coversave, and make sure it gets FNP quickly to make it surivivable. After that manuveur it into threat range and keep letting it work its magic as a deterient...

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Talos useful in 6th?   Talos useful in 6th? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08 2012, 16:57

Now if only they had four wounds and fleet, that would make them more useful. Still not a bad bullet magnet, people seem to over prioritise them like no tomorrow. FNP change has been really good for them. Smile

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Arrex
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Talos useful in 6th?   Talos useful in 6th? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08 2012, 18:19

Biggest problem is only 3 wounds and a 3+ save. It’s not as survivable as any Tyranid creature, which have at the very least 1 extra wound, and are 2+ save.
Back to top Go down
Talos
Kabalite Warrior
Talos

PostSubject: Re: Talos useful in 6th?   Talos useful in 6th? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 08 2012, 23:37

I use three of them all the time, with chain flails, and twin-linked haywire blasters.
The talos rocks in CC, and it can haywire vehicles if it don’t feel like running to close the gap. It’s cheap enough that you could easily field three of them even in a 1500pts list.

It isn’t really as slow as one firs could believe, it usely hit combat a round after my other assault troops, and they hit lika ton of bricks. When considering all the damage it can do, and all the pain it can soak up, it makes the Talos a good psyco warfare tool, as well as a really god fire magnet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.olasart.se
Grumpy Kwi
Nightmare Doll on the Loose
Grumpy Kwi

PostSubject: Re: Talos useful in 6th?   Talos useful in 6th? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 09 2012, 15:05

In the light of 6th edition I think the Cronos got a little better but the Talos pretty much stayed the same with just different pluses and minuses.

Yes, the Talos took a hit in the nut sack (if they have one) with the wwp but when I really go back and take a look on how many times the Talos did get into CC right out of the portal then I calm down a little and say, "oh yah, maybe 50% of the time. If anything, the Talos usually had a plethora of targets to shoot at versus charging and usually the shooting had to be forgone in order to get the Talos into CC. Now, when it comes out of the portal I can pretty much ask myself, "what really needs to be shot with a heat lance or flamed with a liquifier?" If you ask me, this simplifies the Talos order of battle coming out of the portal.

And as mentioned above, they will still retain an imaginary high priority to the opponent so yes, coming out of the portal it will be leading the way, forming a wall or screen to those other "softer" units coming out out the portal. Changes in 6th really help it out like FnP, much better since mine were dying to powerfists, missiles and las cannons which are all now 33% ignored - I'll take that in a heart beat.

I got no problems taking 2 of them and a jetfighter is going to be what I'll be doing mostly - their may be some other variations but I think the Talos will always be in my lists even if it means I take only 1.

"is that it ?" ....
Back to top Go down
RocketRollRebel
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Talos useful in 6th?   Talos useful in 6th? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 10 2012, 22:15

I've liked them in a foot heavy list. I generally load em out with haywire blaster and chainflails. Goes well supporting units like scourges and hellions. But I think the talos only works well in certain army lists so you have to be careful about your other unit selections.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Talos useful in 6th?   Talos useful in 6th? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Talos useful in 6th?
Page 1 of 1