THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

The Stunclaw

Go down 
+2
Aroshamash
Sky Serpent
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

The Stunclaw Empty
PostSubject: The Stunclaw   The Stunclaw I_icon_minitimeSun May 15 2011, 21:37

A lot of people who I have ever discussed the Stunclaw with have always used the terms 'gimmick' and 'fun' and to some extent, I agree with them. Though of course it doesn't make it a bad choice. Let's look at it, broken down.

Offensive wise it acts exactly the same as a Hellglaive, giving your Helliarch 4 S4 attacks on the charge. With a venom blade you'd take away 5 points and wound everything on a 2+ = immediately better. For the same points you'd get a S3 power weapon and for another 5 on top you'd get an Agoniser. Without factoring in combat drugs, situations and all the mathhammer that comes with it, it is clear it is not the best offensive weapon; in fact the worst of four.

Gimmick and fun time. You can grapple any independant character in the combat at the end of the round and take him off 3D6. First of all this ensures you won't be getting shot by the enemy in their turn. It can have some great effects which are very situational such as taking warlocks from wraithguard, a big mek with KFF away from his toys. All fun and gimmicky. Negatively taking an Ork Warboss away may be a bad idea and most independant characters are capable of chewing up your hellions. Remember any squad assaulting your hellions the next turn will ignore your defensive grenades as you are already locked in combat.

In short....

Is it effective? Sometimes.
Is it competitive? No.
Is it fun? Yes.
Do I use it? Yes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Aroshamash
Sybarite
Aroshamash

The Stunclaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stunclaw   The Stunclaw I_icon_minitimeMon May 16 2011, 14:11

Got a character you really want dead, but he has too many ablative wounds against shooting? Stunclaw, then hit-and-run in their turn, leaving him stranded and looking very alone. Also perfect for grabbing out those damned Sanguinary Priests, or any "buff" character really, like the above-mentioned Big Mek.

It's not the most competetive option, but can be useful as all hell against certain armies.
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

The Stunclaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stunclaw   The Stunclaw I_icon_minitimeMon May 16 2011, 16:54

In my opinion, I think the stunclaw is competitive and is a must take if you're going to field Hellions. The Dark Eldar codex doesn't play like any other, though Craftworld Eldar is a close comparison. You must field your units like chess pieces. Each unit benefiting the other. The Helliarch with a stunclaw was never meant to kill super badass HQs. The Helliarch was meant to drag Dante or whomever out of his protective squad so your wyches or incubi could charge in and assault the IC while the Hellions spun away to sow more chaos elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Aroshamash
Sybarite
Aroshamash

The Stunclaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stunclaw   The Stunclaw I_icon_minitimeTue May 17 2011, 04:07

Exactly. They cause some damage, but its primary cause is to seperate the wheat from the chaff, as it were. The only real problem is that it doesn't have much use against certain armies, like the Imperial Guard or Tyranids, but against some it's incredibly useful.
Back to top Go down
Blackheart
Slave
Blackheart

The Stunclaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stunclaw   The Stunclaw I_icon_minitimeThu May 19 2011, 04:03

I like the Idea of dragging some poor sod off to die... even better is if you can drag him towards your Archon so he can reap the poor sods soul... it makes it easier to grab that extra strength with the soultrap so yeah... also you can imagine them laughing as they drag the poor soul towards the Archon as a gift... and then sucks the soul in the most agonizing way...
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

The Stunclaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stunclaw   The Stunclaw I_icon_minitimeThu May 19 2011, 04:05

Blackheart wrote:
I like the Idea of dragging some poor sod off to die... even better is if you can drag him towards your Archon so he can reap the poor sods soul... it makes it easier to grab that extra strength with the soultrap so yeah... also you can imagine them laughing as they drag the poor soul towards the Archon as a gift... and then sucks the soul in the most agonizing way...
Delicious... Isn't it?
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

The Stunclaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stunclaw   The Stunclaw I_icon_minitimeThu May 19 2011, 15:17

The thing is though that you have to have another CC unit nearby to tie up the unit the IC was attached to in the first place, otherwise the separated unit just moves and assaults right back into the hellions with the IC.

So there is some synergy which needs to be worked out.

it sounds good on paper, and I agree that it can be really cruel if it works out, the main thing is the "IF".

Personally I think it is a waste because I think it is too difficult to use effectively on a consistent basis.

Buy an agonizer instead.

The Stunclaw Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Zeruel13
Slave
Zeruel13

The Stunclaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stunclaw   The Stunclaw I_icon_minitimeThu May 19 2011, 17:57

My favorite application of it so far hasn't been to drag them to another close combat unit at all but the drag the independent character out on the turn you assault, then in your opponent's turn hit and run again leaving that character out in the open just in time for your turn again to dark light him into oblivion. Obviously not going to work against anyone with Eternal Warrior but I've found it to be an effective way of stripping a character from his meat shield and ending him quickly and efficiently.
Back to top Go down
Blackheart
Slave
Blackheart

The Stunclaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stunclaw   The Stunclaw I_icon_minitimeFri May 20 2011, 04:11

stunclaws basically gives us more options to make our opponent cry... as it should be
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Stunclaw Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stunclaw   The Stunclaw I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Stunclaw
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Drukhari Tactics
-