THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP

Go down 
+5
wilku
Foo
Evil Space Elves
Chaeril
AngelGrinder
9 posters
AuthorMessage
AngelGrinder
Slave

Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP Empty
PostSubject: Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP   Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15 2012, 14:44

Finally caved in and decided to get one, fed up of flyers not dying and thought it would be very nice for squads to go to ground on to hold objectives.

Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP 182F9D1C

Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP 33569AF1

I will be doing the upper row of forcefields later and painting all the spikes etc very soon.

All comments and criticisms welcomed!
Back to top Go down
Chaeril
Sybarite
Chaeril

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP   Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15 2012, 14:55

Ahhhh! Forcefields made from painted plastic sheets! Genius!!!

Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP   Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15 2012, 16:22

Oh this is right on! What plastic sheets did you use?

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Foo
Kabalite Warrior
Foo

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP   Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15 2012, 21:18

Great idea.

The walls look quite tall. Can you show us a pic with models inside it?
Back to top Go down
AngelGrinder
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP   Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 15 2012, 23:25

Thanks guys.

The plastic was from a local hobby shop, it was kept in the same display as plasticard.It came in one sheet of A4 size.

I havn't put any models inside it yet, but I agree, the walls are probably a little tall, but I did it for aesthetics, as if they were shorter I think they would have looked too flimsy. I'll just say all my troops have a little transponder in their armour that allows them to move freely through the force field.

I'll get some pictures up with some warriors in in tomorrow. Hoping to have it completed tomorrow aswell. I also made a quad gun but it's not come out Dark Eldar enough for me so may start again on that one.
Back to top Go down
wilku
Archon's Challenge HQ Winner

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP   Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16 2012, 11:30

Very nice idea, I have two concerns however:
- are the force fields and pylons fixed to the terrain piece? (original AEGIS is just the barrier which can be placed anywhere - if this is fixed it makes a really big terrain piece - not sure it it's rule-compliant)
- how does it fit to your overall playing style? I mean - DE are rather quick and mobile, and are not too good in stand&hold fights...

And more questions:
how did you make the hill and ground itself? looks amazing and I'd like to learn about it
what are the pylons made of? flyer stands? cardboard?

tell us more! Smile

Slave

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP   Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16 2012, 11:52

Yeah it is all fixed to the board, probably wouldn't be allowed in a tournament but I have no plans to go to one in the future. At the local club alot of people have turned them into boards and terrain pieces.

Play style I have started using pathfinders so they will be good in this, also very handy to go to ground last few turns to hold an objective. Last game playing space wolves I could not shift 5 marines with over 40 shots going at them a turn. Also, as mentioned the lack of skyfire is really starting to hurt my army, fed up of storm talons flying around causing me casualties with nothing I can shoot at them, wasting dark lances is really not fu
!

The base is PVC foam, built up with bits of metal and computer components and then I layered over them with plaster of Paris. Then covered in sand and broken egg shells. I've added bits of wire and assorted blades and spikes from my bits box also. The actual pylons are also made from the PVC foam which I just drew up a shape and cut out a few of them!
Back to top Go down
wilku

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP   Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16 2012, 11:59

AngelGrinder wrote:
Play style I have started using pathfinders so they will be good in this, also very handy to go to ground last few turns to hold an objective.
I keep forgetting about allies...

Thanks for the info on materials - I use computer parts too - they're awesome Smile
I'm just a bit afraid about eggshells - won't they deteriorate? You know, Nurgle style is cool, but...

Slave

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP   Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 16 2012, 12:07

I've used them to base my actual models aswell, and it's been well over 6months now with no sign of deterioration.

A few more pictures -

Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP 4DE90041

Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP 44320443

Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP E5305A1C

Was a bit messy with glue, but I'm not going to repaint all the pylons and the forcefield joins, see what I can do to tidy it up a bit!
Back to top Go down
Setomidor
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP   Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20 2012, 12:24

Looks very, very nice!
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP   Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20 2012, 19:51

Wow, that looks really sweet! Transparent plastic as force fields, why didn't I think of that? The construction seems solid enough to pretty much replicate Aegis Defense Line dimensions - four short sections, four long sections.

Skari
Wych
Skari

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP   Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20 2012, 22:29

I like it. I might just have to steal said idea. But due to modelling for advantage issues... I would make the sheets the height and size of the actual defense line...

I was also considering deploying the line backwards, to represent the DE rushing over the defenses...

Youtube Channel
Back to top Go down
http://patreon.com/skaredcast
Krovin-Rezh
Kabalite Warrior
Krovin-Rezh

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP   Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20 2012, 23:14

Nicely done! For those of us not looking to do so much modelling, I could see just making segments of forcefields with the pylons attached (4x 2" and 4x 4"). They should be only about 1" high though, so they don't block sight completely.

Right now, I've just been using extra pieces of foam I had already pulled out of my travel case. They happen to be 1x1x2", so that's just about right if there are 12 of them. I think part of the charm of the Aegis is customizing how the walls are laid out for each game.

For playstyle questions, this helps DE go back to the old "sniper squads" of foot Warriors with a DL. They are bit less unassuming (read: more obvious target) within the Aegis, especially with a quad gun, but they also have a 4+ cover save.

If playing friendly or pick-up games, you want to house rule fortifications placed AFTER terrain, or else there will be a big hill in front of your quad gun.

Kabalite Warrior
Foo

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP   Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21 2012, 20:15

I'm going to try making an Aegis line and stick a squad of Trueborn behind it. 2 will have Dark Lances. 1 will have a splinter rifle and use the Aegis' gun. Might be interesting!
Back to top Go down
Krovin-Rezh
Kabalite Warrior
Krovin-Rezh

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP   Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21 2012, 21:52

It's a tiny number of T3 models, even with 4+ cover. I think you're better off with a squad of 10 KWs and a single DL, since it will last longer and is scoring.

Actually, Wracks would fit best here with T4 4++/5++, even though they can't take a lance. Assuming you take a Haemonculus, ofc. You could give em a hexrifle if you want, but not necessary. Four twin-linked S7 shots and an objective point I can depend on is worth a squad of 8 plus the aegis in my eyes.

Kabalite Warrior
Foo

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP   Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21 2012, 23:21

I intend to make the enemy focus on vehicles and squads that are up in their faces and see how it goes. I don't know that I'm going to run the squad at 3 Trueborn, mind you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP   Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dark Eldar Aegis defence line WIP
Page 1 of 1