THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Challenges and Mind scarabs

Go down 
+2
Siticus the Ancient
Grumpy Kwi
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Grumpy Kwi
Nightmare Doll on the Loose
Grumpy Kwi

Challenges and Mind scarabs Empty
PostSubject: Challenges and Mind scarabs   Challenges and Mind scarabs I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11 2012, 19:11

Was reading various questions and one came up that I thought was interesting and was wondering if any of you agree.

If you are charging a Necron unit with an HQ dude with Mind scarabs, 2 things happen at the same time but neither actually says which is first and that is challenges and the mind scarabs. It was later revealed the charging player can decide when each of these takes place for example:

I could tell the Necron player that his mind scarabs goes first and then when that is done that challenges would be done next.

This would get the scarabs out of the way before the challenge occurs.

So is this true? Is this how everyone sees it or does the book or codex say otherwise? The reasoning that I find useful is that there are things that happen before combat and the charging player can pick which event happens first (and the reverse is true too, if it was the Necron player, he could claim the challenge to go first then resolve Mind scarabs once he is in contact with your HQ).

Just curious.

"is that it ?" ....
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Challenges and Mind scarabs   Challenges and Mind scarabs I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11 2012, 20:59

Yep, this seems to be my interpretation as well. The player doing the charge chooses the order of the simultaneous effects.

Honestly, this is the only way to actually deal with the stupid Mindshackle Scarabs. I don't even know why the hell they exist.

Seshiru
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Challenges and Mind scarabs   Challenges and Mind scarabs I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11 2012, 21:01

The MindShackle Scarabs got an erratta last week to have the Necron player "Randomily Select" a person in base to base with the bearer, which doesn't help since if the challenge came first then potentially there would only be one person in base to base.

But I do believe both triggers have the same timing and as I understand it, that makes it the choice of the active player on what order they get resolved (I don't remember the page number but it was something about multiple effects that happen at the same time).
I could be mistaken (and would love to be corrected if so), but that how my very small play group understands it to be.

Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Challenges and Mind scarabs   Challenges and Mind scarabs I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12 2012, 08:13

Seshiru wrote:
The MindShackle Scarabs got an erratta last week to have the Necron player "Randomily Select" a person in base to base with the bearer, which doesn't help since if the challenge came first then potentially there would only be one person in base to base.

But I do believe both triggers have the same timing and as I understand it, that makes it the choice of the active player on what order they get resolved (I don't remember the page number but it was something about multiple effects that happen at the same time).
I could be mistaken (and would love to be corrected if so), but that how my very small play group understands it to be.

That change happened in the first FAQ (it's not from last week). And yes the active player gets to chose what happens first, challenge or scarabs (of course once you are in a challenge you can't avoid it).

I do find grizly trophies helps as they let you re-roll leadership tests, giving you a lot higher chance of the scarabs not working.

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Challenges and Mind scarabs   Challenges and Mind scarabs I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12 2012, 18:37

Grizly trophies. Huh, I might actually have to try that piece of wargear out for my beatstick Archon's Venom... I have never used that piece of wargear, since DE high leadership usually is more than enough. Scarabs, though, are a different beast entirely.

Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Challenges and Mind scarabs   Challenges and Mind scarabs I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12 2012, 18:38

Siticus the Ancient wrote:
Grizly trophies. Huh, I might actually have to try that piece of wargear out for my beatstick Archon's Venom... I have never used that piece of wargear, since DE high leadership usually is more than enough. Scarabs, though, are a different beast entirely.

The hard part is keeping the venom alive.

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Kayto_Karite
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Challenges and Mind scarabs   Challenges and Mind scarabs I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20 2012, 14:06

Seshiru wrote:

Exceptions Rule Pg. 9 BRB (Best rule in 6th Edition)

”We the unwilling, led by the ungrateful, are doing the impossible. We've done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do something with nothing." - Konstantin Josef Jireček

My Dark Eldar Blog: The Shardnet and Impaler - Dark Eldar Lists
Back to top Go down
http://www.theshardnetandimpaler.com/
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Challenges and Mind scarabs   Challenges and Mind scarabs I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20 2012, 14:25

Kayto_Karite wrote:
Seshiru wrote:

Exceptions Rule Pg. 9 BRB (Best rule in 6th Edition)

Otherwise known as "When we can't write rules that actually tell you how they work, just let something totally external to the game and/or models involved determine the outcome"

Best rule my arse!

Kayto_Karite
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Challenges and Mind scarabs   Challenges and Mind scarabs I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20 2012, 14:38

Count Adhemar wrote:

Otherwise known as "When we can't write rules that actually tell you how they work, just let something totally external to the game and/or models involved determine the outcome"

Best rule my arse!

Well until GW adopts the Stack from Magic: The Gathering. This is the best we are going to get for 40K. No other rule explains what happens in the event of two rules taking place at the same time. This rule being lazy as it is stops debates. I once had a debate about FNP and Hexrifle. In 5th we ended up rolling off to see which occured first. At least in 6th I can declare on my turn that the Hexrifle ability activates first before my opponent can take a FNP roll.

”We the unwilling, led by the ungrateful, are doing the impossible. We've done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do something with nothing." - Konstantin Josef Jireček

My Dark Eldar Blog: The Shardnet and Impaler - Dark Eldar Lists
Back to top Go down
http://www.theshardnetandimpaler.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Challenges and Mind scarabs   Challenges and Mind scarabs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Challenges and Mind scarabs
Page 1 of 1