THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

How do you tell different vehicles apart?

Go down 
+7
Archon Farath Mure
Lightcavalier
Nomic
Moomastermoo
Venkh
Sky Serpent
RazorBryce
11 posters
AuthorMessage
RazorBryce
Slave
RazorBryce

How do you tell different vehicles apart? Empty
PostSubject: How do you tell different vehicles apart?   How do you tell different vehicles apart? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14 2012, 22:10

So when I use many raiders and ravager it can be confusing to keep a track of which has what unit is embarked or which guns or vehicle armour has been taken on each. I usually like to run 2 ravagers 1 with DLs and 1 with Dizzies but they look the same! I'v found that when using transport placing one model from the embarked unit on the raider/ vemon is very helpful, but i have some old metal models (Wyches) and this is not possible with these as it would damage my delicate raiders due to the weight.

Has anyone else experienced these identity issues and had trouble during a battle and what ways have or can people over come this issue? Btw I am using the 5th ed Raiders and Ravagers.

Not sure if this should be in the modelling section, suppose it depends on wether thats where the answer lies.

Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell different vehicles apart?   How do you tell different vehicles apart? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14 2012, 22:52

My way around this is that every unit is themed and their transport correspondingly so. For example I have two units of Wyches.

Squad one are gladiatorial headhunters, the models have incubi vanes on their backs and fur on their shoulders. The crew of their Raider are the same and the vehicle is covered in severed heads.

Squad two are the flayers, the seamstresses. An all female cult, they get their kicks from skinning their opponents while still in the midst of battle. Accordingly, they are covered in flayed skin in some sort of macabre fashion and their Raider is too.

I also make sure my Wych Raiders are crewed by Wyches.

As for wargear and weapons I find WYSIWYG is the way to go.

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Venkh
Kabalite Warrior
Venkh

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell different vehicles apart?   How do you tell different vehicles apart? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14 2012, 23:37

I take the slightly less aestetic approach and balance a model from the unit transported on the vehicle
Back to top Go down
Moomastermoo
Slave

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell different vehicles apart?   How do you tell different vehicles apart? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15 2012, 00:51

For me, the fully painted raider contains incubi+Drazhar (often with drazhar stood on the back of it as I dont have any crew glued in yet!). For my different wych squads, I just have the corresponding hekatrix stood in the back of the raider.

When (If) I finish painting my raiders + squads I'm planning to add unique colour/symbols to the raider and the squad thats inside it.
Back to top Go down
Nomic
Wych
Nomic

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell different vehicles apart?   How do you tell different vehicles apart? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15 2012, 07:24

For Venoms, I stick a member from each squad onboard each. With Raiders, it's harder to fit the actual models on the thing without it falling off the stand, so I just place one model (usually the IC or squad leader) next to each to remind which unit is in which vehicle.

Lightcavalier
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell different vehicles apart?   How do you tell different vehicles apart? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15 2012, 21:01

I left the crew off of my raiders, I then put a member of the squad on to the back deck (usually the sarge) to represent the raider being loaded.

I modeled all the wargear i could (splinter racks and TGL depending)
As well I tied the colours on the raiders flags to the flags on my sergeants backs.

Back to top Go down
Archon Farath Mure
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell different vehicles apart?   How do you tell different vehicles apart? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16 2012, 02:07

My Archon and his chosen squad fly around in a raider adorned with skulls, heads, and other trophies. I've gone fully Kabalite, so I don't need to distinguish between Warriors and Wyches any more. When I did, the distinction was based on how much paint the boat had. My Wyches' raider was unpainted, and not assembled overly well.

(11/5/2013: A few things have been added to the Kabal's fluff, most notably shifting their base of operations into the Webway, sort of, and adding an alliance with the Alpha Legion, or at least a few heads of the hydra.)
Back to top Go down
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell different vehicles apart?   How do you tell different vehicles apart? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16 2012, 18:07

I havet the flags (yes, these flimsy things that tend to break off if you look at them from a wrong angle) on all my transports removable and carry them around separately. Each flag has a special squad symbol and before a battle I place the flags on the respective vehicles. The reference sheet for which symbol belongs to which unit is on my army list Smile
Back to top Go down
Moomastermoo
Slave

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell different vehicles apart?   How do you tell different vehicles apart? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17 2012, 00:04

Dogmar you are a hero! I love that idea Smile
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell different vehicles apart?   How do you tell different vehicles apart? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17 2012, 03:35

All my crews of the vehicles are modeled to match the unit they carry. I put one model from each unit on the vehicle (for venoms) or on the base (raiders)

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
csjarrat
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell different vehicles apart?   How do you tell different vehicles apart? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17 2012, 07:25

i didnt build my raiders with the gunner, so my wych/warrior/incubi stand in the gunner's position to highlight which unit is where.
venoms take a circular base perfectly so someone will stand in that too
Back to top Go down
Zaakath
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell different vehicles apart?   How do you tell different vehicles apart? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28 2012, 18:49

You can also use the extra models that are meant to be hanging from the vehicles rails to denote what is in them (except for incubi really).

I plan to magnetize these models to the raiders and remove them when the unit has disembarked.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you tell different vehicles apart?   How do you tell different vehicles apart? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you tell different vehicles apart?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Drukhari Discussion
-
Jump to: