THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?

Go down 
+7
Shadows Revenge
Inrit
Azdrubael
xzandrate
Evil Space Elves
Kinnay
Mushkilla
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? Empty
PostSubject: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16 2012, 12:38

If you were fielding 2-3 Taloi in 6th how would you equip them? (For both WWP lists and non-WWP lists)
Back to top Go down
Kinnay
Wych
Kinnay

PostSubject: Re: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16 2012, 13:44

WWP: twin-linked Liquifier and twin-linked Heat lance.
Normal: Chain Flails and twin-linked Haywire Blaster.

Has been working like a charm. Smile
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16 2012, 15:19

I always used 1-2 with chain flails and twin-linked heat lances in 5th out of a WWP. After playing against Grumpy Kwi's army, I am seriously considering swapping out the chain flails for the twin-linked liquifier. Now that we can't charge them out of a WWP the TLL really makes sense to soften up targets nearby.

I've never used a Talos without a WWP....ever.(3rd-6th edition)
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16 2012, 15:36

Are chain flails and an extra CCW worth considering? Or does that just make the Talos too expensive?
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16 2012, 15:39

Mushkilla wrote:
Are chain flails and an extra CCW worth considering? Or does that just make the Talos too expensive?
I've done it before. It was okay, but it seems to me that you should just take the chain flails. In the last game that I played against Grumpy Kwi(he used three taloi, I used one) he said that he doesn't take chain flails because he can roll double 1's with the best of them. The next turn I rolled....wait for it.....1+1 Razz
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16 2012, 15:47

Well I'm thinking of running 2-3 Taloi/Chonoi in my reaver list (as they don't compete with ravagers as I don't run them). This would probably be without a WWP.

The Chronos seems to be peaking my interest a bit more, as it's a bit more shooty and more tanky (Get's FNP faster). That being said three haywire taloi would be interesting. Not to mention the Talos is a beast in CC WS5 is pure gold.

...decisions decisions...

Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16 2012, 16:28

Stick with the heat lances. I find it's far better to kill something rather than just strip a point off. If you don't kill it: Charge it! I've found that running 2 Taloi/ 1 Cronos is a pretty fun combo. I've found that the Cronos is better than people give it credit for, though it's effectiveness is based on people freaking out about the other 2 Taloi lurking around with it Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16 2012, 16:33

Evil Space Elves wrote:
Stick with the heat lances. I find it's far better to kill something rather than just strip a point off. If you don't kill it: Charge it! I've found that running 2 Taloi/ 1 Cronos is a pretty fun combo. I've found that the Cronos is better than people give it credit for, though it's effectiveness is based on people freaking out about the other 2 Taloi lurking around with it Twisted Evil

Wouldn't the heatlances range be problematic when not using a WWP? (again just brain storming)
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16 2012, 16:39

Sorry, I've never used them without a WWP and didn't consider that at all Razz good point, I'd use haywires if you are foot slogging them. I can think of 27 reasons it would work well in your army Twisted Evil All of those Reavers would probably pull enough attention away from them to survive running up the table, though this would make the haywires pointless.
Back to top Go down
Kinnay
Wych
Kinnay

PostSubject: Re: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16 2012, 16:57

As you already have 9 Heat Lances, I'd also stick with the Haywire. Two Taloi with flails and Haywire, one Cronos with Syphon?
Thinking about it, why not three Chronoi? Very Happy Your 27 Reavers and those Wyches would all be drowning in Pain Tokens! Also it adds AP3 to your list, which is very AP1/AP- heavy. Wink
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16 2012, 17:30

Kinnay wrote:

Thinking about it, why not three Chronoi? Very Happy Your 27 Reavers and those Wyches would all be drowning in Pain Tokens! Also it adds AP3 to your list, which is very AP1/AP- heavy. Wink

This what I was thinking. Maybe even experiment with foot wyches! The Cronos does seem more appealing.
Back to top Go down
xzandrate
Kabalite Warrior
xzandrate

PostSubject: Re: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16 2012, 17:35

Foot slogging, haywire is slightly better than the heatlances, imo.

Moving across the table, the haywire will give you full effectiveness up to 24" + 6" movement, being twin-linked, they are also surprisingly useful vs. flyers as well (don't count on them though). With 2 Talos, if anything else in your army takes a hull point off a vehicle, the Talos can quickly finish it up leaving the heavier weapons free to try and pen a vehicle.

The TL-liquifiers vs. chainflails is going to strictly be a matter of preference. Out of a WWP, I could see the Liquifier being the better choice. As for chainflails, I roll like crap too, even with 2 dice, I usually get a 1 and a 3 or 2; when I do get a 6, it's always boxcars it seems. If you can burn the points elsewhere, I would say you could skip chainflails.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16 2012, 17:57

Mushkilla wrote:
This what I was thinking. Maybe even experiment with foot wyches!

Okay, let's not get crazy Razz
Seriously, don't.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16 2012, 18:11

Does it even worth footslogging now? With bettered reserve numbers?

2 Talos Liquifiers/Heatlances + 1 Cronos with upgrades seems like hell of a surpires from webway.

Now that we dont need to rely on lances for AT Grots can do tranport-cracking just fine.

Last edited by Azdrubael on Sun Sep 16 2012, 18:14; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Inrit
Hellion
Inrit

PostSubject: Re: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16 2012, 19:55

I'm using mine with TL liquefiers and TL heat lances, without WWP. He is rushing to the ennemy, and often reaches it on 1000 pts games. It's providing a solid additional target which often forces opponent to shoot at, ignoring other threats.
In a big table, I think TL Haywire has more chances to do damage, but in a special build with Scourges.
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16 2012, 19:56

Evil Space Elves wrote:
Mushkilla wrote:
This what I was thinking. Maybe even experiment with foot wyches!

Okay, let's not get crazy Razz
Seriously, don't.

You know me, the crazier the better. It's a new edition experimenting can't be a bad thing. Can it? Twisted Evil

Azdrubael wrote:
Does it even worth footslogging now? With bettered reserve numbers?

Well having them on the board can draw a lot of fire. I'm not running a coven list as such, so I don't have a WWP delivery system in my list. It will be hard enough to fit the Taloi/Chronos in. I agree though if you already have a coven list, I don't see much point in footslogging.
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24 2012, 16:48

footslogging- TL Liquifer + Haywire Blaster is the best choice
Back to top Go down
Deamon
Sybarite
Deamon

PostSubject: Re: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25 2012, 12:03

I tried running 2 Talos with TLLF and TLHWB in a 2k points games. They did just fine. Of course at the end of turn 1 I had a full squad of Wyches, 2 Squads of Wracks with LF, an Hellion Blob and a Squad of Grotestques right in my opponent's face... so he pretty much ignored the two Talos that where lagging behind... but once they reached him, they wrecked a Wave Serpent, flamed a squad of Dire Avengers and another one of Warp Hunters... didn't get the chance to assault, the Liquifier did a too good job.
Back to top Go down
Fruz
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25 2012, 13:51

I really feel like getting TLLF and no chain flails is like wasting a bit the CC potential of the Talos ( which is HUGE, especially when you can double the strength when you need ( too bad 10 is the max lol ).
I4ll try it out eventually, I've not been trying WWP yet, but I feel like i'm gonna get screwed if my only WWP owner ( my archon ) get killed before use it ).
( WWP allows to have 5 footslogging wyches launching grenades coming from it btw )
Back to top Go down
Krovin-Rezh
Kabalite Warrior
Krovin-Rezh

PostSubject: Re: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 26 2012, 01:30

I think I would consider the stinger pods for my non-WWP-Taloi. 24" with 2 S5 blasts is nothing to take lightly. Great for punishing T4 and less models as well as AV10 vehicles from a relatively long distance. The SC is nice, but we already have plenty of splinter shots. S5 brings it's own strengths and weaknesses to the party, giving you more tactical options theoretically. Haywire also has the range, but is similarly specialized, just in the opposite direction. Also, Pods are nice and cheap. Bonus!

Heat lances and liquifiers all the way for WWP.
Back to top Go down
Fruz
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 26 2012, 08:24

AV10 vehicle are nothing really usual for most opponents and even against AV10, it's a twin linked blast, and it's bad for that purpose.
I'm wondering if you can choose to hit the back of the vehicle to get the back armor, I really doubt it's possible though.
Againt t4 model however it must be really good.
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 26 2012, 08:36

I'm starting to swing towards the twin-linked splinter cannons. The heatlances have a similar range of effectiveness to the talos' charge. So I see their main advantage is when coming out of a portal and not being able to charge (and melting transports and charging its contents).

The twin-linked splinter cannon is free, works on overwatch and has the longest range, I see my Talos potentially sitting in cover on an objective and just waiting (denning it to my opponent and forcing him to come to me) so the extra range and ability to target infantry is a nice addition. It's also great at forcing grounding test on flying monstrous creatures. Then there is friendly fire, Talos are not accurate and if you run a close assault army stray S5 blasts could be a problem. But the best thing about the splinter cannon is it's great for getting a pain token on the talos early on as it will reliably kill 1-2 models. I this works really well if you have more then one talos as they can all shoot say a squad that has been weekend down to 3 models and one of them is bound to kill it and get a pain token. Now that FNP is like a pseudo invulnerable save I think its more important then ever to get them on your Talos as soon as possible.

As for twin-linked liquifiers wasting the Talos' close combat potential, I don't think this is the case. The Talos doesn't have fleet so it's charge range is unreliable, the liquifier gives you that extra flexibility and range. There are a lot of things that you don't want to charge that a liquifier can deal with, not to mention charging through cover can be hazardous as it forces you to strike at I1 which means krak grenades are going before you and melta bombs(more common now that they can be used on dreads and MCs) are striking at the same time. The liquifier also has defensive properties with wall of fire (a talos with liquifiers and splinter cannons is not something you want to charge). Then there is the argument that the liquifiers prevent you from getting into assault. I have yet to find this to be the case as they have random AP and they have a 75% chance to wound T4 and 89% chance to wound T3, the interesting thing with this is that the twin-liquifier is a binary weapon it will either wipe out a whole squad or it will only kill a model or two (not having a big effect on your ability to charge). Templates are also the ultimate deterrent to deepstrike units. In my experience so far I think they just bring too much versatility to the table to be left behind. Smile
Back to top Go down
Talos
Kabalite Warrior
Talos

PostSubject: Re: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 26 2012, 10:50

I love my trio of alos.
I equip my talos engines with tw haywire, and chainflails. The haywire is just too good not take, just 5pts, and you can strip 1 hull point every turn. And the chain flail rally helps the combat performance. Chanfalils combined with the smash ability can really ruin everyone’s days.
Back to top Go down
http://www.olasart.se
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?   Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Talos Weapon Load Outs in 6th?
Page 1 of 1