THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

The True Night Lords

Go down 
+5
Count Adhemar
Mortarion
Evil Space Elves
Azdrubael
Shadow
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Shadow
Slave

The True Night Lords Empty
PostSubject: The True Night Lords   The True Night Lords I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30 2012, 20:11

Greetings the Dark City,
I have been hiding in the shadows for some time now.

Finally entered a tournament to force me to finish some painting (my paint station is overflowing, since I have trouble finishing all my projects).

I have been playing around with some different paint scheams, hopefully you guys can help me focus!?
Here comes som WIP pictures, I have nothing finished yet. Sorry about the blurry pictures.

This is what my warriors will look like (most likely)
The True Night Lords Blfram

The True Night Lords SplinterCannon1

Not sure what colour to use for the stones.

Whyches: Not sure what colour to use for the hair?
The True Night Lords Whyches
Back to top Go down
Shadow
Slave

PostSubject: Re: The True Night Lords   The True Night Lords I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30 2012, 20:23

Looks like my first post worked?! Cool!

So on to some vehicles and bikes.

Bikes: The same colour problem as the whyces, what to do about the hair?
The True Night Lords ReaverJetBike

The True Night Lords ReaverJetBike-Grupp

The True Night Lords Bikes

3 WIP Raiders:
The True Night Lords Grupp2

The True Night Lords Grupp3

Bought and build 2 Razorwings and 4 Venoms but still no paint on them (took time to magnetize). They seem to have a lot of stones, and not sure about what colour. Thought about keeping them black and shiny, but not sure that will show too good. So what to do? Orange? Purple? Pink? Red? Any ideas are welcome!

Oh yeah, The Tournament is in 2 weeks, so besides whats on the above pictures, I have to build and paint 1500p before that! :-)

Not 100% sure on my list yet, but will mostly be bikes and whyches.
(Inspiration from Mushkillas Battle reports :-) )
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: The True Night Lords   The True Night Lords I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30 2012, 21:02

Ave Dominus Nox )

Nice stripe working.
Dont dilute color scheme, you can copy Night Lords one, if you already started it. Which means - red + golden + white.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: The True Night Lords   The True Night Lords I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30 2012, 22:43

Looking really good Twisted Evil I would stick with red. The effect of the blue sprayed on the hulls with the lightning effect looks absolutely brilliant. Keep the hulls black and add some gold and you're on your way to a very beautiful army.

Oh, and congrats on coming out of the shadows Razz Another project log is always welcome here in TDC.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Mortarion
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: The True Night Lords   The True Night Lords I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01 2012, 16:12

Those lightning effects look really cool. I think that the ones where the lightning is broken up into smaller sections works better than the ones where a single "line" of lightning runs across the entire hull, but they all look good.

With the hair, I would use a colour that's a good contrast to the skin. Black or dark red would work fine.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: The True Night Lords   The True Night Lords I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01 2012, 16:19

Those Raiders look amazing! Absolutely love the lightning effects!

Shadow
Slave

PostSubject: Re: The True Night Lords   The True Night Lords I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01 2012, 18:47

Thank you for the nice comments :-)

Not sure I well keep calling them "Night Lords" just something that was mentioned to me by some painter friends. So any and all comments about paints are welcome (or anything that will improve my painting).
Perhaps I should call them "Cult of (the) Night"? (since at the moment it will be mostly Whyches and Ravers)

@Azdrubael & @Evil Space Elves; Thank you, any suggestions what parts should be golden? My initial thoughts are to use Boltgun on the deck and stand, and perhapes white or red on the sail (which fits well with the Night lords Colour scheme I guess). Golden/Brazen deck instead?

@Mortarion: Yes I agree that the forked lightning looks is nicer, but I guess I had to make some singel bolts to notice that. I will keep that in mind when I start on the comming vehicles. (But to be honest, I wasn't sure if I could make it look any good, so I tried both the singel bolt and forked ones, but I am happy with the result Smile )
About the hair; black or dark red you say? Hmmm... I like the idea, but any idea how to paint good looking hair? I usually use some light paint and add wash, sometimes some highlights depending on colour (and how messy it get with the washes).

No new pictures today, I have spent the evening with building and cleaning 20 whyches and 9 Reaver Jetbikes,
and then spraypainting the Reaver Jetbikes and 2 Venoms, but then I ran out of spraypaint. :-(
I got to run out on my lunchbreak tomorrow and buy some more, but perhapes that is for the best, since I haven't got anything to base my models with at the moment (Don't like anything I have at home). So again I turn to the Dark City for inspiration. Since the models are rather dark, I was thinking a light base. light sand base, perhaps with some tuffts?
Snow base? (Perhaps too bright? and I have never done snow before)

Oh yeah, at the moment I dont have a finished list, but for this tournament it is 1500p and consits of something like this;
Succubus+VenomBlade
Succubus+VenomBlade
Whych sqd 8+1 +Haywiregrenads +VenomBlade+PGL+ Raider
Whych sqd 8+1 +Haywiregrenads +VenomBlade+PGL+ Raider
Whych Sqd 5 + Haywiregrenades + Venom + X-tra Splinter Cannon
Whych Sqd 5 + Haywiregrenades + Venom + X-tra Splinter Cannon
Reaver Jetbikes 8+1 + 3x Heatlance + VenomBlade
Reaver Jetbikes 8+1 + 3x Heatlance + VenomBlade
Ravager + Night Shields
Ravager + Night Shields
(Have to check the total points later this week)

Not too sure if the Ravagers fit in....
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: The True Night Lords   The True Night Lords I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02 2012, 23:53

Some of the most striking looking Raiders I have yet seen Shadow, your lightning effects are excellent!

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The True Night Lords   The True Night Lords I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03 2012, 14:14

Får man se dina blixtar i varberg nästa vecka då? Smile

I just love the painting scheme. Wish that I was that good, oddly I seem to get worse at my painting...
Back to top Go down
Saintspirit
Court of Cruelty
Saintspirit

PostSubject: Re: The True Night Lords   The True Night Lords I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03 2012, 19:40

I must say I find your scheme extremely well done, though I would also like them to get something on their bases. In any case I am looking forward on seeing this army evolve, because those lightning bolts really look good.

Oh, that's right; the Agonisers just have to look like they are electric!

Painted: 2263pts

shamroll wrote:
Dang! I was hoping Tyranids followed the Pokemon naming idea. A big Carnifex running around just yelling "Carnifex! Carni-Carnifex!" followed by a squad of termagants all saying "Termagant" to each other.
Back to top Go down
Shadow
Slave

PostSubject: Re: The True Night Lords   The True Night Lords I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04 2012, 07:12

Very Happy
Thank you, almost makes me feel bad I didn't manage to build or paint anything yesterday so I had something new to show you, but too long workday I'm afraid (05.00-22.00) :-(

@brackish; Yes, Varberg är planen! :-)

@Saintspirit; I have started to sand some bases on the test models (a few warriors and 2 whyches) 2 days ago, but I jumped the gun a little and didnt wait for the glue to harden so most of the sand stuck in my brush Sad (Previously I have used hardwood varnish on the bases to glue and seal the sand/gravel). But it looked promising enough, so I have sanded most Whyches bases now, and depending on whats in the mail today I will give them a black coat tonight.

Electric Agonisers you say? You don't thing that will be too much?
Hmm.... maby not, there is no lightning on the infantry I guess.... I will test it tonight! :-)
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: The True Night Lords   The True Night Lords I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04 2012, 14:02

I say that electric agonizers would tie the theme of your vehicles with your infantry quite nicely.

For the decks of the raiders you could paint the trim in gold with the decking design in a metal color to break it up a bit. I did that on my raiders and like the effect quite a bit.

Back to top Go down
Shadow
Slave

PostSubject: Re: The True Night Lords   The True Night Lords I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05 2012, 09:54

Busy painting night, last night:
Spraypainted 20 whychs, but there just black so no picture of that.

I think I finished my first 6 bikes(?)

The True Night Lords 6bikes3_zps6334d3be

The True Night Lords 6bikes2_zpsa74f32b2

The True Night Lords 6bikes_zpsdba97209

So I started with the lightning foundation for the next 10 bikes:
The True Night Lords 10bikes2_zps12d2178f

Started to try out some colours on the bases (and updated the hair colour)
The True Night Lords Baser_zpsfa66167b

I had to try out some lightning on an Agoniser:
Not 100% happy with it, it was hard since I wanted the bolt to curve around the whip.
The True Night Lords Piska2_zpsc6a65aab

The True Night Lords Piska_zpsc2e3e2cf

WIP of my 2 Venoms:
The True Night Lords Venoms3_zpsbb450f97

The True Night Lords Venoms2_zps11bb0501

The True Night Lords Venoms_zpsc0d1fb46

And I had to test red colour on the Raider sails. Not enough time to paint it in detail, so I didnt want a close picture, so here comes a group shot instead to atleast give you an idea. I think the red works good with the lightning bolt hulls!

The True Night Lords Grupp_zps6a522ecf
Back to top Go down
Shadow
Slave

PostSubject: Re: The True Night Lords   The True Night Lords I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11 2012, 19:29

Finally got my last models,

So building them tonight, and this is were I stand.
The True Night Lords 2daysleft_zpsa1fd3acc

Might be too much to finish in 2 nights? We will see...
Back to top Go down
Shadow
Slave

PostSubject: Re: The True Night Lords   The True Night Lords I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14 2012, 13:09

The Tournament was yesterday, and I am exhausted today after long evnings/nights of painting.
Since most of you couldn't make it to Varberg, Sweden and have a look ;-) Here are som blurry group pictures.

The True Night Lords Group-side2_zps150d9d1a

The True Night Lords Group-side_zps50a53932

The True Night Lords Group-Front_zpsab48cc17

As I said, a little blurry, but they arn't 100% done (see the different kind of bases?), but I still got a high score in painting :-)
I got the edvice that perhapes I should base my mases to the skimmers to get some more contrast against my skimmers and really make them pop, what do you guys say? Sounds reasonable?

Not so moch more pressure to finish, so I will post pictures of the sqds when I am 100% done with them... 3 weeks until the team tournament! :-)

The Tournament? I did ok, 2 wins and 2 losses.
1 I lost because I was tired and did som stupid moves (My bad) and I was playing a good Chaos (Nurgel) player.
and the other I lost was because I didnt connect when I was assaulting with my wyches agains IG tanks (3 sqds of wyches (8+8+5 whyches and both Succubus) against 3 tanks and 1-2 infantery sqds.... needed to roll 3"..... and with fleet I have re-rolls..... 4 snake-eyes in a row .... Shocked
Well, the 3rd sqd got in at least, but the other 2 sqds (And Succubuses) was out of position and was gunned down... After that I couldn't recover :-(

However, that is ok, I got to play 4 great guys, really fun games. cheers
Back to top Go down
Saintspirit
Court of Cruelty
Saintspirit

PostSubject: Re: The True Night Lords   The True Night Lords I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14 2012, 15:04

I think it is looking awesome and I understand you got a high rating, but yes, I can see the different bases - it will certainly be nice to see them complete.

(suck, jag vill också sticka till en turnering!)

Painted: 2263pts

shamroll wrote:
Dang! I was hoping Tyranids followed the Pokemon naming idea. A big Carnifex running around just yelling "Carnifex! Carni-Carnifex!" followed by a squad of termagants all saying "Termagant" to each other.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: The True Night Lords   The True Night Lords I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14 2012, 15:05

Glad you had a great time! The lightning effect looks beautiful in your close pictures and in full army shots. Well-done. I agree that the bases on the Raiders should be done as well. It truly adds a lot of pop to skimmers and would make your army stand out even more. Don't feel bad about not having done your skimmer bases yet: I am yet to do mine, even after having 3,700pts fully painted Mad

The only suggestions that I could offer(unsolicited as they may be Razz ) would be to shade the green weapons a bit more too add contrast(these are venom blades, yes?), and to add something to the bases that you have done to break them up a bit. I understand that you have not finished them, and may be planning to do something along these lines. After painting the basing material I would add something like static grass in patches here and there. At first, I thought that the wyches were based on 40mm bases because the surface area of the bases looked so large, but realized that the flatter uninterrupted surfaces made them look larger.

All in all, I'd say that you are on your way to a stunning army. Good for you cheers

-ESE

Back to top Go down
ravengoescaw
Heamonculi
ravengoescaw

PostSubject: Re: The True Night Lords   The True Night Lords I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 28 2012, 16:51

Sexy Lighting effects. How did you do that?

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12640-band-of-the-unbending-thorn#142250

Still fighting the world and saving damsels in distress. ~Raven
Back to top Go down
Shadow
Slave

PostSubject: Re: The True Night Lords   The True Night Lords I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29 2012, 07:42

I am back! :-)
I have had a nasty cold the last week, and I havent really been able to paint...

@Evil Space Elves; Ok, I guess it will be some kind of basees for my vehicles then! :-) (I am keeping an eye on your progress here on the dark city, very impressive, and I understand what you mean about the gold in your previous comments :-) ). I have added some tuffts to my bases and hopefully that will break it up some mer (see below), I think it is a big improvment at least.
about the posion weapons, I totaly agree, I am not too happy with them, as they seem too flat. But I didnt take a close-up picture mainly because of that... but it seems I couldnt get away with it ;-)
I have re-made my list for the next tournament, so I will not be using posion next weekend, but I will come back to it in the future. :-)

@ravengoescaw; Thank you :-) I spary the hull black, then I airbrush the lightning pattern first with Regal blue, then Enchanted blue and lastly with ice blue. And after it has dried, I paint the lightningbolt with Skull white. really easy actually :-) I did take some pictures when I did my 1st, they are a little blurry, but I can post them if you like?

Ok, onwards!
I think I am done with some of my wyches. so here comes some pictures

The True Night Lords Bild4

The True Night Lords Bild

The True Night Lords Bild5

The True Night Lords Bild2

the following days I will complete some more wyches (maby not so much fun to see?) but also a Hekatrix with an Agoniser (trying the lighning on the whip as suggested) and finishin of the Transports. (I hope I will get som closer photos for you)

Back to top Go down
Shadow
Slave

PostSubject: Re: The True Night Lords   The True Night Lords I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13 2012, 17:55

The True Night Lords Hekatrix

The True Night Lords Hekatrix2

The True Night Lords Hekatrix3

And some incubis:

The True Night Lords Incubi2

The True Night Lords Incubi

Klaivex:
The True Night Lords Klaivex

Group:
The True Night Lords Incubis

It needs another highlight I think, and the stones and jewelry might need some more paint. But this is how far I managed for the team-tournament we went to.

The True Night Lords Archon

The True Night Lords Archon2

The True Night Lords Archon3
Back to top Go down
shhbevewyquiet
Slave

PostSubject: Re: The True Night Lords   The True Night Lords I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13 2012, 18:41

Lovely work on the lightning especially for the Reavers. The flock work on the wyches truly adds the bases that much needed little bit to break up the barren space. Your archon is looking phenomenal though. The red is a nice contrast to the blue/black of the armour.

"I loathe the expression 'What makes him tick.' It is the American mind, looking for simple and singular solution, that uses the foolish expression. A person not only ticks, he also chimes and strikes the hour, falls and breaks and has to be put together again, and sometimes stops like an electric clock in a thunderstorm." James Thurber
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The True Night Lords   The True Night Lords I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The True Night Lords
Page 1 of 1