THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Kabal of the Hidden Sun

Go down 
+8
Vishuss
ravengoescaw
Count Adhemar
Blind_Baku
Ebonhart
Evil Space Elves
Foo
Deyfluff
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Deyfluff
Kabalite Warrior
Deyfluff

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Empty
PostSubject: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02 2012, 21:28

Hey there! This is my first Dark Eldar army and so far I am really enjoying the painting aspect of the hobby. I thought I would share my log with you all. Please feel free to critique anything you see Smile Here is my stuff thus far.

My color scheme is a 2:1 mix of mephiston red and abaddon black The chest plates, shoulder pads and body suits are based steel legion drab. I originally was doing a black with teal but wasn't really liking it so I switched it! I did post some of the other models just cause.

Warriors WIP

These are basecoated and the first layer of highlighting done.
Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012041

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012042

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012039

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012036

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012035

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012034

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012033

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012030

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012027

The rest of these warriors are nearly done. All that's left to do is a couple touch up things!
Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012020

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012019

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012024

10 man squad

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012016

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012013

Incubi
Unit of ten. They're just assembled and half of em are primed. VERY excited to paint them!
Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012045

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012044

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012043
Wracks
These guys are my only completed unit haha! I am not a fan of their skin, but whatevs. I am planning on getting another box of em in the future and figuring out how to do the flesh tones right.

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012055

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012062

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012069

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012068

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012065

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012063

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012077

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012072

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012073
Scourges

This was my test model for the wings. I'm not sure where to go from here. They don't look quite right to me :/ The base is 8ish layers of extremely watered down Rakarth Flesh. Then 2 wash of 2:1 Reikland Fleshshade & Sepia. The a glaze of mephiston red was used to create the red veins. Then the crimson wash was used the crevices near the base of the wing along the bones.
Kabal of the Hidden Sun  35bb9dk

more of the same guy.
Kabal of the Hidden Sun  2uylkzr

and another
Kabal of the Hidden Sun  2ls8w8y

5 man squad. Next purchase is more of these!
Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012012

Haemie

Just base coated so far...
Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012084

Venom 1

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012098

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012095

Pilot and windshield are not done yet.
Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012093

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012092

Venom 2

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012102

Raiders

Both are primed black, the sail is primed white. Both bodies have a base coat of the red/black mixture.
Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012087

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012086

Razorwing
Most recent purchase Smile
Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012079

working on uploading pictures right now!
I have 12 reavers, 10 wyches and a female from Raging Heroes on the way the I CANNOT wait to paint!

here's the old color scheme I started out with. I decided it was too "Tronny" for my liking. This guy was one of my first models though so I decided to keep him the way he is.

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012053

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  August2012052

Last edited by Deyfluff on Wed Nov 28 2012, 03:03; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Foo
Kabalite Warrior
Foo

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03 2012, 04:37

These are excellent. You say this is your first time painting any army or just your first DE?
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03 2012, 05:19

Scourge wings are looking quite spiffy. Looking forward to more.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Deyfluff
Kabalite Warrior
Deyfluff

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03 2012, 05:35

Thank you both for the feedback Very Happy

Foo, its my first time painting any army. I just started playing around three months ago. I've been slowly getting an army haha.

Evil Space Elves, do you have any suggestions for the wings? They look unfinished :/ Also your name made me gig. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ebonhart
Kabalite Warrior
Ebonhart

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03 2012, 05:47

better than my painting and i've painted beastmen before
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03 2012, 05:56

Good question. I think that I might start by shading the parts near the crevices at the arms with a little darker color to create a bit more contrast. This could be accented further by highlighting the Rakarth Flesh arms a bit more(I think it is Palid Wyche Flesh?) You might highlight the wings a bit more with this, though I understand being hesitant to do that with all of the work that you've put into them so far with washes. My Scourges have sat on my desk for MONTHS because I can't make up my mind as to how I want to paint the wings Mad

The name came from my wife: I came out of the room to show her a DE model that I painted-she asked "Oh, are these one of the evil space elves?" (I play Eldar and High Elves too) It's a nice little reminder not to take little plastic toy soldiers too seriously Razz

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Deyfluff
Kabalite Warrior
Deyfluff

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03 2012, 06:16

Dark shading is a good idea. That'll make the bones stand out more once I highlight the rest. The models are so beautiful I am afraid I am going to wreck them if I put a brush to their wings haha. I painted that one Scourge probably a month ago and have yet to do anything else with them so I completely understand!

Oh you are an elf fanatic! That's awesome:)
Back to top Go down
Foo
Kabalite Warrior
Foo

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03 2012, 16:53

These are extremely good for a new model painter!
Back to top Go down
Deyfluff
Kabalite Warrior
Deyfluff

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 03 2012, 18:48

Oh thanks so much!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Blind_Baku
Kabalite Warrior
Blind_Baku

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04 2012, 13:26

Great start, I like the brown you've put in on the warriors. I'm going to have to follow this log
Back to top Go down
Deyfluff
Kabalite Warrior
Deyfluff

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 05 2012, 01:19

Thanks for the feedback:) I am going to try to get the warriors done this week so more pictures will be posted soon!
Back to top Go down
Deyfluff
Kabalite Warrior
Deyfluff

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07 2012, 06:29

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/d3/ef/d3ef7ff5ed6a0b1004c0b1950be26d26.jpg

I'm considering the name/ theme for my army...Kabal of the Black Sun. I want to have small designs and tattoos on the troops and vehicles like the picture above. Lemme know what you think.
Back to top Go down
Deyfluff
Kabalite Warrior
Deyfluff

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17 2012, 09:04

Here are the pictures of my tester model for the scourges.
Looking at it now I see a lot of things I don't like. I completely wrecked the wings when I foolishly decided to add more washes. Next time I need to stop before it starts looking too brown. I also don't like the edge highlighting I want to start blending more instead of the simple edge line. I don't know what to do about the gun. It just looks plain and quite out of place against the red armor. I need to work on making the eyes glow more also. I do like the metal accents (helm, knee, and feet)

Advice and critique would be awesome:)

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Scourgetester012

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Scourgetester005

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Scourgetester004
Back to top Go down
Foo
Kabalite Warrior
Foo

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17 2012, 15:21

I like the colour scheme, but agree about the edge highlights. I try to do about three shades, each thinner than the last, on my edges. You've got a great base colour on this guy. If you had a very thin highlight in the bright red with a few darker shades in between, I think you'd really be onto something.

It's hard to see your wings as they are not in focus, but I think they look good as is.

I'm struggling myself with the guns. I've chosen to keep the gun black and make the barrel and accelerator chamber silver with green gems. I find that breaks up the monotony of the gun, but realistically, it's not like most guns aren't just totally black or totally silver (or green, whatever) in real life.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17 2012, 15:26

I did my guns like this:

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  P1000016

Not to everyone's taste but personally I like it.

Foo
Kabalite Warrior
Foo

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17 2012, 15:29

I think that works, too. It makes it seem like the poison accelerator chamber is transparent, I guess?

Also: if you're going heavy on Scourges, with that colour scheme, maybe something like "Kabal/Cult/Coven of the Blooded Talon" as a name?
Back to top Go down
Deyfluff
Kabalite Warrior
Deyfluff

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17 2012, 22:05

Count Adhemar wrote:
I did my guns like this:

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  P1000016

Not to everyone's taste but personally I like it.

The poison chamber looks nice like that on your guy, but I think it would clash too much with the dark red of the armor. I'm not a fan of red/green color schemes. It does look cool though.

Quote :
I'm struggling myself with the guns. I've chosen to keep the gun black and make the barrel and accelerator chamber silver with green gems. I find that breaks up the monotony of the gun, but realistically, it's not like most guns aren't just totally black or totally silver (or green, whatever) in real life.

Exactly! I can't seem to get them right. I have tried tons of different color combinations and nothing looks right so far :/ Its been quite a pain.

Back to top Go down
Deyfluff
Kabalite Warrior
Deyfluff

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17 2012, 23:16

Here are some more pictures of my warriors. They are taking me too long to complete haha. CC welcomed!

These are mainly basecoated and layered. No details yet.....
Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Warriors027

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Warriors028

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Warriors008

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Warriors012

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Warriors018

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Warriors020
Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Warriors025
His highlights are done. I like how they came out. This will be my first time painting skin. Basecoated with super thin layers of Rakarth Flesh then plan on using sepia and fleshshade washes then highlighting with more rakarth flesh, then pallid wych flesh and the tiny bit of skull white. Thoughts??

And I recently bought 12 reavers off ebay for CHEAP, some were already assembled but i plan on magnetizing the remaining bases. Can't wait to paint them!

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Warriors015

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Warriors016
Back to top Go down
Deyfluff
Kabalite Warrior
Deyfluff

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13 2012, 23:33

Just finished midterms got some painting in....I also finally got my raging heroes blood vestals!

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Wyches296
In their boxes! They were nicely packaged and secure.

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Wyches298

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Wyches301

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Wyches305

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Wyches308

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Wyches309

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Wyches343

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Wyches347

I CANNOT WAIT TO PAINT THEM

Test model for my reavers

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Wyches341
Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Wyches340
Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Wyches338

Warrior squad

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Wyches333
Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Wyches330
Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Wyches324
Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Wyches327

Trueborns

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Wyches320
Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Wyches319

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Wyches321

Back to top Go down
ravengoescaw
Heamonculi
ravengoescaw

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14 2012, 05:54

Overall awesome job, my only compliant is your guns re so plain, If you don't like the green chamber the I would do another metallic shade/color for details. They as the are now do not fit with your models, I think a copper color will blend them better with the soldiers holding them.

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12640-band-of-the-unbending-thorn#142250

Still fighting the world and saving damsels in distress. ~Raven
Back to top Go down
Deyfluff
Kabalite Warrior
Deyfluff

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14 2012, 09:53

Thanks! Yea I honestly hate the guns as well. I don't know what to do with them. I'll try a copper color with em and see how that looks:)
Back to top Go down
Blind_Baku
Kabalite Warrior
Blind_Baku

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14 2012, 14:17

I love them, though I can see the complaint on the guns. Maybe even a 'Matte' black, like military guns these days. Or even just some copper sections. You dont need the glowing green or anything, just something... extra. Keep it up the army looks great and the Red(orange) hair really pops with everything else!
Back to top Go down
Deyfluff
Kabalite Warrior
Deyfluff

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14 2012, 20:44

Thanks so much! I'll post some pictures of the guns soon
Back to top Go down
Deyfluff
Kabalite Warrior
Deyfluff

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28 2012, 02:55

another reaver is done!

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Trueborn026

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Trueborn024

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Trueborn022

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Trueborn018

Blasterborn test model. used a shredder and blast pistol to make a blaster

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Trueborn016

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Trueborn013

Venom WIP

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Trueborn007

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Trueborn005

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Trueborn004

Kabal of the Hidden Sun  Trueborn003

Back to top Go down
Vishuss
Slave
Vishuss

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29 2012, 21:40

Love the army! I was curious as to how exactly you achieved that super gloss on the helmets. I'm about to paint my first set of reavers and would like to attempt a similar look. Thanks, and again, great army!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Hidden Sun    Kabal of the Hidden Sun  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kabal of the Hidden Sun
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next