THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

please critique my strategy

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
doomseer11b
Sybarite
doomseer11b

please critique my strategy  Empty
PostSubject: please critique my strategy    please critique my strategy  I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11 2012, 15:42

as i am currently not available to play right now, deployed ....... i can only really think about strategy here. SO please, correct me and advise accordingly. my idea is to basically have a 2 venoms with 5xincubi each and 2 raiders with 10x wyches each. have them run around together so the incubi could soak up overwatch and do onslaught, then the wyches on the SAME charge come in (overwatchedless) and clean up the mess.

i know people dont like the webway portal but its too cool for me to ignore. so, while thats happening, have a archon (with his little court people) on a venom drop a WWP for the talos to come in???? or not the archon, cuz i dont know if the court is worth the points, but maybe have a haemy come in with some wracks on a venom? or instead of talos, maybe the cronos, to hand off pain tokens too the nearby wyches and or incubi? and have reavers or scourges for vehicles. i personally like the reavers cuz caltrops D6 hits with S6 is just awesome.

like i said, just bought a new DE army, havent gotten to play them. just something i was thinking. moral of the story, two squads of incubi and wyches wreaking havoc while you set up a webway portal hopefully close enough behind them for a shooty cronos to hand of pain tokens as they fight to whomever. tell me whatcha think =)
Back to top Go down
https://www.twinlinkedgaming.com
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: please critique my strategy    please critique my strategy  I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11 2012, 15:58

The main thing with the WWP portal is that you need to deploy it turn 1. Changes to movement rules mean that you can't get quite as far forward as you could before so you need to think carefully on where to deploy your WWP carrier and where he needs to get to with the portal on the first turn.

doomseer11b
Sybarite
doomseer11b

PostSubject: Re: please critique my strategy    please critique my strategy  I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11 2012, 16:46

well in most battles, i think posting it in the center of the board in some cover (hopefully) would be ideal for any type of game. so maybe move 12 start, drop off whoever is dropping it off, center of the board so it has hopefully given a decent range for whatever you decide to bring out through it? or is this too ideal. like i said i dont know jack until i actually play it. got some friends that are waiting to tear me apart, so im trying to get a good tactical idea of how i should run it before i get home. Thank you

Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

PostSubject: Re: please critique my strategy    please critique my strategy  I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11 2012, 17:15

It's move 6", disembark 6" now, so you have to get quite a distance from the safety (and cover) of your transport. Plus whatever drops the portal is going to get blasted, though that was always a problem. You're essentially paying almost the equivalent of three haywire wyches to save your Talos two or three turns of movement, if you get first turn, and if you have it arrive when you want it to. And then you might lose the portal carrier. Reserves might be more reliable, but they're not a sure thing by any stretch. You'd have to build a large chunk of your army around the Talos to make it worthwhile, and base a lot of your strategy around it. It's not impossible. It's just really, really difficult! If it's coming out of the portal, ideally you want it shooting at things as soon as possible, but you want to be deploying the portal somewhere where whoever is carrying it can preferably get a cover save.

I have a Talos, and I've stopped bringing it out of a webway portal. I realised it was the only thing I was taking it for, and it's a lot of points to spend on something that could be useless if you're not going first. When I use my Talos, it does have trouble keeping up (obviously) but sometimes it can be useful to have something that threatens outflanking units. Sometimes it even manages to hoof it in to range to start wrecking tanks too. Very useful for big guns never tire too, as it just cannot be shifted, and I feel a lot better sitting it in the open on an objective, as opposed to my Ravager.

Basically, a webway portal is even more of a risk than it used to be. You might save your Talos some time, but when it's one of the few things in the army that actually has the durability to walk across the board, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: please critique my strategy    please critique my strategy  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14 2012, 16:29

Here's the thing with the WWP, since you can only possibly deploy it 12' forward on turn one (and it'd be silly not to deploy it on turn one), you might as well just have whatever is coming out of the portal start where the deployer starts. A talos, for example, that starts on the table will be able to move almost 12 on turn one (with a run) and then move and assault on turn two. A talos deploying from a WWP can't assault until turn 3...

Incubi are fun but you have to solve their grenade problem... I use the baron to bring over a pain token and his grenades. Incubi don't need anyone to "clean up the mess". They'll slaughter most things they touch. Also, remember, you don't want to win combat on the first round of combat, you want to win on your opponent's turn. otherwise you'll be exposed to fire and be assaulted. Try this, six incubi with a haemonculi in a raider... Turn 1 the raider flies into position. Turn 2, raider moves six, incubi get out and take the pain token with them and get ready to assault. Baron Sathonex joins the unit with a pain token... Now you have 18 AP2 attacks at I5, S5 with FNP and stealth (if they are caught in the open). And that doesn't even include the Baron's attacks.

The only time I would use wyches is a unit of 15 in a Tantalus. Otherwise they'll get caught in the open and killed, or their raider will get shot down and they'll be killed, or they come out of a WWP and get killed... What can I tell you, wyches are dead.
Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: please critique my strategy    please critique my strategy  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15 2012, 11:57

Wyches do get killed a lot easier in this addition but I find Beasts to be the new replacement for CC. As they charge up the board, position the Khymera to absorb heavy weapons fire/Templates and as you get into charge range you can move the Razorwings up front, their multi wounds will absorb the Overwatch (unless Str6 or above ofc) and they still hit with full force.

As for the Webway, I like it for "transporting" units, like our MC's or getting Reavers into Heat Lance range but I don't rely on it anymore, i see it as an upgrade for the aformentioned.

In my game last week, I fielded a Talos (no webway) and a Wraithlord, getting cover from Beasts upfront but I screwed up the deployment and placed them too far back so they didn't see action until T4. I'm thinking of swapping out the Talos for a Chronos and webway. The Chronos puts out some nice AP3 Large Blasts and template weapons so getting it nice and close is crutial - hence the webway. I run my Haemie in with the Beasts, so my movement is only 6" up the board but the Haemie's protection is big. I'm not having to relying on hiding my Venom if cover is scarse, or going 2nd.

Deploy 12" on, move 6", Activate portal with 3" dia. and that puts the portals edge 21" up the table. If the Chronos comes on T2 (66% chance) he moves up and over the halfway line - putting his Large Blast in range of any blobs or forward advancing enemy units.

PostSubject: Re: please critique my strategy    please critique my strategy  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

please critique my strategy
Page 1 of 1