THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Modest Magic Terrain Set

Go down 
+8
Count Adhemar
Shadows Revenge
Sky Serpent
Black Death
Gobsmakked
Azdrubael
Darklight
Thor665
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

Modest Magic Terrain Set Empty
PostSubject: Modest Magic Terrain Set   Modest Magic Terrain Set I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17 2012, 04:20

http://www.modestmagic.com/content/alien-civilization-type-1

Found this while toying around eBay and tracked down their website. I'm actually kind of entranced by this one and may end up doing the purchase. For those who prefer to have some sort of set platform to work off of (those who kitbash more than scratchbuild...y'know, like me) this looks like a really affordable way to get a silly amount of good DE looking terrain on your table.

Thought it might interest people.

Back to top Go down
Darklight
Sybarite
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: Modest Magic Terrain Set   Modest Magic Terrain Set I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17 2012, 06:12

That looks great.
Might buy it if we build a new board. But have a desert/city teamed table made from scratch and a GW table that are snow themed atm. For now that is enough, but might be something for the future Very Happy

Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Modest Magic Terrain Set   Modest Magic Terrain Set I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17 2012, 06:28

Bah, we'd just webway it in to any table Wink

But, yeah, it's almost enough by itself to just be a table. Maybe it's time I add to my cityfight and autumn ruins tables with a 'streets of Commoragh' table...

Because what I really need is another big project.

Back to top Go down
Darklight
Sybarite
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: Modest Magic Terrain Set   Modest Magic Terrain Set I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17 2012, 06:36

Hehe, know how you feel!

But thank god its not me making the tables in my gaming group. But I just sent him a wish for the look of the next table Wink

Dont got the painting skill too make good looking tables, the units I have painted can barely pass for OK :p

Streets of Commaragh table sounds awsome!

Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Modest Magic Terrain Set   Modest Magic Terrain Set I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17 2012, 07:07

Oh, hell, and i was dreaming of building something like that myself.

Add some poisonous green lake for lethal terrain, an area terrain of bones to represent place where Wych Cult store bones of every living thing in the galaxy and there will be great table called

"Port Node of Commoragh"

Great finding Thor!

Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Modest Magic Terrain Set   Modest Magic Terrain Set I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17 2012, 07:18

That does look great, thanks Thor. Not a bad price for what you get, either.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Black Death
Sybarite
Black Death

PostSubject: Re: Modest Magic Terrain Set   Modest Magic Terrain Set I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17 2012, 08:30

It looks great and takes all the work outta doin it ourselves. No wait, I like doin it myself but for otheres this would be awesome. Thanks for the share, great find I think.

Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Modest Magic Terrain Set   Modest Magic Terrain Set I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17 2012, 12:13

My first thought was too blocky, then I thought.... hmmmm, kitbashing and customisation. Then I saw the price and wow. Buying one.

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Modest Magic Terrain Set   Modest Magic Terrain Set I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17 2012, 15:53

If you buy one you should do an unboxing and review of it.
Heck, promise to do one for them and maybe get a discount?

Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Modest Magic Terrain Set   Modest Magic Terrain Set I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17 2012, 16:32

hmmm... 1 set would make an awesome display board... kinda beats my idea of an imperial city with them constructing a WWP in the middle of a city square Razz Atleast this would be alot easier...

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Modest Magic Terrain Set   Modest Magic Terrain Set I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17 2012, 16:33

I like the look of this stuff and I'm seriously considering getting a set.

Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Modest Magic Terrain Set   Modest Magic Terrain Set I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17 2012, 17:50

Oh great, Russian isnt on the shipping list...

Hope he will consider sending it.

P.S. Oh great =) He did.
Back to top Go down
nalfen
Hellion
nalfen

PostSubject: Re: Modest Magic Terrain Set   Modest Magic Terrain Set I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18 2012, 22:20

I Purchased a set and will do a quick review once i get it.

I intend to coat it with polyurethane foam hardener to give it some durability then paint it glossy obsidian black.

Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Modest Magic Terrain Set   Modest Magic Terrain Set I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19 2012, 09:19

Look forward to seeing some reviews of it then.

Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Modest Magic Terrain Set   Modest Magic Terrain Set I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20 2012, 07:53

Count Adhemar wrote:
Look forward to seeing some reviews of it then.
ThisThisThis!

Back to top Go down
Balisong
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Modest Magic Terrain Set   Modest Magic Terrain Set I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22 2012, 04:14

A guy in my Warhammer club picked this up and brought it by the store we play at today. I checked it out and it's pretty cool.

Here's the thoughts of the 2 guys that played on it:

"It gamed pretty good. The biggest concern was how light it was. Some of it has to be weighed down but, I think I have a good solution for it. I have something coming my way that's already painted, so I'm going to focus on blacking out the set first, them when the pieces get here, match the high lights to those pieces."

"It really is a show-stopper as far as design and table layout. Its extremely light, And even the slightest nudges move and topple models very easily. I can fit the maulerfiends under the walkways easy enough so very play-able and I had no issues moving 70 cultists under the walkways and bridges. Once it is mounted to bases, it will feel more stable and play even better - You really can not beat this for a quality terrain deal."

So essentially you need to coat it with something and perhaps weight it down a bit.

Looks amazing though!
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Modest Magic Terrain Set   Modest Magic Terrain Set I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22 2012, 05:08

Hurm - I do like the ability to keep setting it up new ways though. Maybe just glue some washers along the bottom of all the pieces to add weight, but still allow them to be repositioned as I please?

Also;

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t4487-win-a-free-alien-civilization-type-1-terrain-set#

Dark City now has a lottery to win a free set - huzzah! (of course I will win it, but, y'know, you should all compete anyway)

Back to top Go down
helvexis
Sybarite
helvexis

PostSubject: Re: Modest Magic Terrain Set   Modest Magic Terrain Set I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22 2012, 07:38

Adding weight shouldn't be too much of a problem, just glueing a magnet to the underside and adding extras till the weight is what you want

Hehe yes I also entered but you are much prettier than me so I'm going for a pity vote :p
Back to top Go down
Krovin-Rezh
Kabalite Warrior
Krovin-Rezh

PostSubject: Re: Modest Magic Terrain Set   Modest Magic Terrain Set I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 23 2012, 00:55

A trick I've seen used well to weigh terrain down is to attach cuts of vinyl flooring to the underside. It's very heavy stuff, easy to attach, and extremely cheap. Some people may even have extra lying around their house.

PostSubject: Re: Modest Magic Terrain Set   Modest Magic Terrain Set I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modest Magic Terrain Set
Page 1 of 1