THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pilgrim Pod
Slave
Pilgrim Pod

KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points Empty
PostSubject: KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points   KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18 2012, 18:47

My latest battle report with my buddy Mercer in his own words from his blog Imperius Dominatus. Enjoy!

Battle Report: Daemons vs Dark Eldar - 1,500 points

Usual Tuesday night means time with the not so tactical genius, Poddy. Poddy is getting into the realms of a real man's game and now playing 1,500 points. He still has 500 to go to make it to the big boys leagues.

I was going to play CSM tonight, but decided I am loving my Daemons so much, that I should give them a whirl.

Daemons - 1,500 points

HQ

Herald of Tzeentch - chariot of tzeentch, we are legion, master of sorcery & bolt of tzeentch
Herald of Tzeentch - chariot of tzeentch, we are legion, master of sorcery & bolt of tzeentch

Elites

5 x Flamers of Tzeentch
5 x Flamers of Tzeentch

Troops

10 x Plaguebearers of Nurgle
5 x Plaguebearers of Nurgle
5 x Plaguebearers of Nurgle

Fast Attack

6 x Screamers of Tzeentch
6 x Screamers of Tzeentch

Heavy Support

Soul Grinder - phlegm
Soul Grinder - phlegm

Dark Eldar 'Kabal of the slashed gash' - 1,500 points

HQ

Haemonculus - liquifier gun

Elite

4 x Kabalite Trueborn w/ Venom - 4 x blasters - Venom w/ splinter cannon
4 x Kabalite Trueborn w/ Venom - 4 x blasters - Venom w/ splinter cannon

Troops

5 x Kabalite Warriors w/ Venom - blaster - Venom w/ splinter cannon
9 x Wyches w/ Raider - shardnet & impaler & haywire grenades - Hekatrix w/ agoniser - Raider w/ flickerfield

Fast Attack

6 x Reaver Jetbikes - 2 x heat lances

Heavy Support

Ravager - flickerfield
Ravager - flickerfield
Ravager - flickerfield

Game: Pitched Battle + Purge the Xeno - Night fighting is active

Warlord Traits - Daemons - outflanking units get acute sense & Dark Eldar - can make it night fighting

Deployment

I won the roll off for deployment side, I chose the side which has more room for Poddy to deploy in. This seems weird, but as my deep strike is aggressive, I need room to land. Poddy wins the roll off for deployment and decides to go first.

Poddy's deployment is pretty simple but effective, and it appears he has finally gathered some tactical knowledge from yours truely. He has put his Ravagers at the front long ways on, which will give a cover save to the Venoms etc behind. However, Poddy hasn't thought about my templates and his units are bunched up, that's a -1 from your tactical genius level, Poddy...

KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points 78634004

KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points 83406984

* Tactical Notes

As a shock to the system, I will try and seize the initiative and hopefully my Flamers will come down and cause mass bbq destruction. Poddy has bunched all his stuff up for me nicely; goody Smile

Turn 1

I attempt to seize the initiative and get a 5, close but no cigar.

Poddy moves all his units flat out to my side of the table, he will now be getting +1 jink saves.

I split my waves and it all goes a bit pete tong; I get the two Soul Grinders, two 5 man Plaguebearer units and a single Herald. Oh dear.

I deep strike my units, only the unpainted Soul Grinder scatters, it lands in the centre tower ruin and I roll a 2 for dangerous terrain test; close one.

Shooting; unpainted Soul Grinder blasts a trio of Venoms, shot scatters and lands on another Venom, which is wrecked. Other Grinder unleashes dakka on the Raider, but jink save does well, though one Warrior gets blow up. Herald blasts at two Ravagers, I think both are ok if I remember right.

KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points 22975122

KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points 72506747

KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points 65030364

KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points 21024218

* Tactical Notes

Oh bugger! I got the wrong wave. Ah well, I am playing Daemons and this crap happens. I just have to deal with it. At least I got a point for first blood and a kill point.

Next turn I wouldn't be surprised if it is game over; Poddy has enough fire power to wipe me out and win this game on turn 2. Lets see!

Turn 2

Wyches Raider moves up 6" and the Wyches bail out (taken pain token) and move towards the painted Soul Grinder. Ravagers move up to the unpainted Soul Grinder while Reavers and Venoms come forward.

Shooting; dark lances blast the unpainted Soul Grinder, first barrage it survives, though loses the mawcannon and is immobilised, though second barrage finishes it off. Splinter cannons fire at Chicken-Man, he takes 7 saves and only fails one! Chicken-Man gets blasted some more and drops down to three wounds. Plaguebearers get shot at, though a large ruin gives them 4+ cover and two remain. Reavers bladevane Chicken-Man and I think he survives with a single wound. Wyches throw a haywire at the Soul Grinder, they cannot hit the broadside of a barn and totally miss.

Assault; Wyches charge the Soul Grinder and bust a cap in his ass before he even swings.

Ok, so I've got a invincible chicken and some depleted zombie daemons left. It could have been a lot worse.

I roll for reserves and everything comes in except one Herald and unit of Screamers. Eyeball Paul (warlord) lands behind the Dark Eldar vehicles. Both units of Flamers scatter, one is still in the fight while the other scatters 12" away from the bulk of the D.E force towards Poddy's table edge. Screamers deep strike by the unit of 5 Plaguebearers.

Movement; Chicken-Man holds position while two man Plaguebearers move up towards the ruin they were behind, I try to block LOS to them. Other unit moves to assault the Reavers.

Shooting; Paul splits fire and blasts two Ravagers, one is wrecked and the other just loses a hull point. Chicken-Man fails to do anything. Flamers which scattered 12" blast warpfire into the Wyches and kill three. Flamers who are in the thick of things hit multiple targets, but all they can do is take off a hull point from a Trueborn Venom. Screamers slash the Reavers (see how they like it!), and only two remain - unfortunately the Plaguebearers are now out of assault.

KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points 48923344

KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points 18186056

KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points 50153690

* Tactical Notes

Right, it's pretty close on points; Poddy has 2 and I have 3. It's a pity I couldn't cause much damage this turn, but you take the rough with the smooth.

Next turn I'll get the Screamers to multi assault the Ravagers while Heralds blast the weaker Heralds and start reducing infantry count. Plaguebearers will assault something if they are close enough, though I suspect the unit of 10 Plagues will be facing Wyches soon.

Turn 3

Reavers move to tackle the one wound Chicken-Man while Venoms move about while Ravagers just scoot a little bit. Wyches come towards the Plaguebearers while the Haemy Raider stays close.

Shooting; Flamers which scattered far get blasted to bits and are wiped out, took some serious shooting though. Wyches and Warriors on foot blast the Plaguebearers and two die. Several shots go into Chicken-Man, but this daemon is like invincible and survives everything; Reavers bladevane the dirty son of a bitch and he dies then.

Assault; Wyches charge the Plaguebearers, but needing 6+ to wound is tough and the Wyches end up losing combat after I get some good rolls to save with my Plaguebearers - Wyches fall back 6" with Plaguebearers in pursuit.

I roll for reserves and the last Herald and Screamers arrive, though the Screamers scatter and are delayed.

Movement; Paul chases after the Reavers while Plaguebearers close up on the Wyches and chase after Ravager and Venoms which just blown the Flamers away. Other Flamers bounce into terrain so can get max template hits, one takes a wound after failing dangerous terrain test and fails save. Screamers move to multi assault a Venom and supporting Trueborn Venom, they are in position where Chicken-Man was.

Shooting; Flamers bbq the one hull point Trueborn Venom and the Warrior Venom, both go down in smoke; both squads pass pinning. Heralds split fire and attempt to blow up the Raider and kill the Reavers, though the Raider only suffers weapon destroyed and the Reavers remain, though one dies and the survivor fails morale and falls back - now needs double 1 to regroup.

Assault; Screamers multi assault the Trueborn Venom and Ravager; both go boom and all Trueborn die in the blast. The now single Plaguebearer (unit of two got depleted but wasn't destroyed) charges unit of Warriors, Warriors lose combat though hold. Large unit of Plaguebearers charge the Wyches, Wyches once again lose combat and fall back - only two left so now need double 1 to pass morale.

KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points 17432497

KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points 64768720

KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points 53982418

* Tactical Notes

Wow, I've hit Poddy hard this turn and managed to double the points he has, now giving me a massive lead. Multiple vehicle destruction helped this turn and the addition of Trueborn going bye byes hasn't helped. Add salt to the wounds that both Wyches and Reaver are under 25% and need double 1 to regroup.

Next turn I'll try and get the Haemonculus, it's what I wanted the other Screamers for, slash attack and then chow down next turn. Remaining Plaguebearers will just tackle infantry. Now it is just mopping up.

Turn 4

Not a lot for Poddy this turn. He moves the remaining Trueborn into the same ruin as the Warriors vs Plaguebearers combat while the Raider backs away. The last Venom moves so it can draw LOS on both Five-Face and Paul while the unit inside bails out ready to dish pain into Five-Face.

Shooting; Trueborn do rubbish and fail to wound. Venom and Warriors in the ruin dakka Paul, but he's a tough cookie and survives after passing all saves. Warriors on foot along with Haemonculus and Raider blast Five-Face, he drops down to 3 wounds.

Daemons turn; Flamers move up to bbq the last Ravager as it is close by while Screamers move to the Trueborn while the 5 man Plaguebeaers move to support the single Plague. Larger unit of Plagues fall back to the exposed Warriors.

Shooting; Screamers which auto arrived slash attack the Warriors in the ruin and wipe them out. Shots go into the Raider, but it survives. Finaly bit of destruction is of the Trueborn when Screamers chew them up.

At this point we call it a day as Daemons have over double points over Dark Eldar.

Summary

Things started off well for Poddy, but I think he is not aggressive enough. Dark Eldar are a real glass hammer army and need to hit hard or else they will get bummed into next week.

I think the Reavers should have shot up Chicken-Man instead of bladevane, and then assault. This would at least stop the Herald from assaulting next turn.

Also the Wyches, while they did good against the Soul Grinder, they just go beat up by Plaguebearers twice. Ideally they should have jumped back into the Raider and then relocated and assaulted a Herald (pref Eyeball Paul), as they wouldn't have any issues beating face there.

Also, the Ravagers should have hung back and fired instead of moving forward. With them bunched up along with Venoms it allowed my Flamers to get multiple hits, though luckily the Flamers flopped.

But, during turn 3 Poddy has some back luck with his dice. I passed most of my saves because the Dark Eldar hardly caused any Wink.
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points   KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19 2012, 12:47

Interesting game thanks for sharing.

As a daemon player and a dark eldar player. I would suggest trying the following sort of deployment against a deepstricking army like daemons:

This was how I deployed against a salamanders drop pod list (dark eldar in blue in the corner):
KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points Devssmdeployment

I castled in a corner. I spaced out my units so there was about 2-3" between them (whatever footprint of the size of his flamer squads is a good idea), as it means even if he threads the needle he will mishap: for example the footprint of his flamers is 3", so add 1" as he can't be within 1" of anything, with this spacing he can't physically land in a gap that is 4" between two of your units . I also started my units out of their transports to force multiple targets. And used said transports as shields. If you get first turn (you tend to against deamons as they like going second), just move anything that has a jink save out and back again so they get cover saves (unless you are already running flicker fields), and then wait.

What does this do?

-It lets you control what he can threaten by letting you place your most valuable units in the corner.
-It forces him to deep-strike on the other side of your "raider wall".
-It increases his chances of mishaps, anything that is within 1" of any of your units mishaps.
-He will only have half his force against your entire army id he tries to threaten the castle.
-Your units are safe from flamers, unless he manages to deepstrike 1-2" away from the raiders (very risky on his part), as the raiders 2-3" wide, the gape between the raiders 4" wide creates a buffer zone that keeps your more vulnerably units safe.
-If he deesptrikes near you, your units are already in a position to assault him on your turn.

In conclusion, daemons want you to spread out so that they can pick you off piece by peace. If you deploy sensibly in a corner castle you get a massive advantage as it forces the daemon player to either engage you on his first turn and expose himself to your entire army or forgo his alpha strike in order to deploy safely. In which case you crush him piece by piece.

Hope that helps. Smile

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell

Last edited by Mushkilla on Fri Oct 19 2012, 23:30; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pilgrim Pod
Slave
Pilgrim Pod

PostSubject: Re: KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points   KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19 2012, 20:41

It certainly does help! Smile

Thanks for taking the time and effort to share this pearl of wisdom with me. I certainly appreciate it!

I'll be sure to throw this into practice next time my DE face off against daemons.
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points   KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20 2012, 00:00

Another advantage of that deployment is he won't be able to "slash attack" with his screamers without exposing them to assault either, effectively leading to them not doing any damage on their first turn (unless he wan't to risk them).

Pilgrim Pod wrote:
Thanks for taking the time and effort to share this pearl of wisdom with me. I certainly appreciate it!

No problem, you're sharing high quality battle reports with the rest of the community (even if Mercer wrote it up), it's the least I can do. Reports like this are a fantastic learning tool and a great asset to the community.

Look forward to hearing how your next game goes. Smile

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Septimus
Kabalite Warrior
Septimus

PostSubject: Re: KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points   KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20 2012, 08:28

I would risk doing the slash attack and take out a couple of units. Wouldn't mind them being charged as each screamer has 3 S5 AP2 attacks.

Then threaten with another unit within charge range of the screamers.

Castling like Mush suggests is the best you can do vs. daemons (at least with DE), daemons love it when you spread out.

Another thing I noticed from the batrep was that it seemed like you shot/assaulted several targets. Identify the unit(s) most dangerous to your army (that would be the screamers and flamers, in that order, in this report) and do all you can to annihilate one unit at a time.

DE have it easier doing this when fighting daemons than most other armies as DE can redeploy fast.

As a daemon player you often only have half or maybe 2/3 at the best of times (and maybe not even your preferred units from turn 1) on the table ... that means it will hurt more than usual when you annihillate a daemon unit as there is only a relatively small number at game start who can actually do anything.

Don't get intimidated by the heralds, yea they have 5 wounds each but they suck in cc. If you get the opportunity tie them up with your wyches (even warriors can tar-pit them).

Kill the screamers, one unit at a time - try to stay out of flamer range and then kill the flamers when you have dealt with all the screamers - and ignore the heralds until the aforementioned units have been annihilated.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points   KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

KotGG vs Daemons - 1,500 points
Page 1 of 1