THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Airbrush Pre-Purchase Sanity Check

Go down 
+2
Zaakath
Kung Fu Hamster
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kung Fu Hamster
Hellion
Kung Fu Hamster

Airbrush Pre-Purchase Sanity Check Empty
PostSubject: Airbrush Pre-Purchase Sanity Check   Airbrush Pre-Purchase Sanity Check I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 24 2012, 02:25

So after a great deal of hemming and hawing and thinking it over, I've finally decided to put down the cash for an airbrush setup, because basecoating vehicles and lots of minis by hand sucks. Smile

Before putting my card down and buying these new shiny toys, I figured I'd ask for a quick once-over on the potential purchases, primarily to ensure I didn't forget anything important, or picked the incorrect item, etc. Makes life much easier.

Airbrush: Badger Air-Brush Co 105 Patriot Fine Gravity Airbrush
Compressor: Badger Air-Brush Co. Air Star V T909 Compressor
Hose: Badger Air-Brush 10-Feet Company Braided Air Hose

and some pipettes for good measure.

I've got plenty of pipe cleaners lying around (Mrs. Hamster is a crafty one), so I decided not to grab some of those.

Is there anything I'm missing? Something I should take a second look at?
Back to top Go down
Zaakath
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Airbrush Pre-Purchase Sanity Check   Airbrush Pre-Purchase Sanity Check I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 24 2012, 04:10

Might want to make sure that the connections are the right size. Also, some thinner and cleaner (even if obvious are good things to get right off the bat.
Back to top Go down
Kung Fu Hamster
Hellion
Kung Fu Hamster

PostSubject: Re: Airbrush Pre-Purchase Sanity Check   Airbrush Pre-Purchase Sanity Check I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 24 2012, 04:49

Zaakath wrote:
Might want to make sure that the connections are the right size. Also, some thinner and cleaner (even if obvious are good things to get right off the bat.

Got the cleaner on the list now. I've got a bottle of Liquitex Flow-Aid I use for making washes; would that work, or should I look at something specific for airbrushing?
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Airbrush Pre-Purchase Sanity Check   Airbrush Pre-Purchase Sanity Check I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 24 2012, 05:00

Sounds crazy, but all of the great airbrushers that I know use Windex to thin their acrylics. 50/50 does it. I use Testors universal acrylic thinner and have had really consistent results. I use Badger's cleaner. Best of luck with your new toy!

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Airbrush Pre-Purchase Sanity Check   Airbrush Pre-Purchase Sanity Check I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 24 2012, 16:48

I use tap water and a tiny bit of dish soap for my thinner. Works just fine.

One thing I would be very conscience of is making sure you get a water trap in the line or in the compressor.

There is a lot of humidity here in Houston, and the water trap traps water in the line so it does not come out in brush and splatter water all over your hard work. It is so worth it.

I am not familiar with the badger airbrush you are picking up, I have a cheap Iwata for base colors and mass painting and a Sotar 20/20 for detail work. Both use the same connection.

Another recommendation is to get an airbrush stand so you can set the brush down and also to get a cleaning station.

In between colors, a water squirt bottle is good to clean out the paint pot between colors. You can one on for about a dollar at a craft store ( I picked up a new one a couple days ago for $0.89).

That's about it.

Airbrush Pre-Purchase Sanity Check Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Zaakath
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Airbrush Pre-Purchase Sanity Check   Airbrush Pre-Purchase Sanity Check I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 25 2012, 01:43

I have been using the Valejo model and air colors, and have been using their thinner, but anything will work.

The others gave some good ideas too, so pick what you wanna try first.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Airbrush Pre-Purchase Sanity Check   Airbrush Pre-Purchase Sanity Check I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 26 2012, 05:54

You forgot mask. It is not very healthy to work airbrush without one, you'l get much paint particles inside your lungs.

Also airbrush cleaning liquid is a must for a quick and easy work.

Im also using this from the start Airbrush Pre-Purchase Sanity Check Promyvka_1291966507

Some place where you can comfortly place airbrush and not worry about it during painiting cant be overestimated.

Greyjoy
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Airbrush Pre-Purchase Sanity Check   Airbrush Pre-Purchase Sanity Check I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 23 2012, 19:40

would not recommned Windex for airbrush use. It is ammonia-based so can be dangerous to spray around. Look to something eslse for a thinner.

I used windex for a little while, because some one recommen ded it online. Everytime I used it I would be light-headed after every airbrush session. Then I learned that Windex in Europe is not ammonia based, but in the US it is. That bad advice had come from a European.

What you need to start airbrushing is:
airbrush
Airbrush cleaning kit
air compressor
cords
paper towels
ventilated space for spraying
little plastic cups for mixing paints

I really recommend using Vallejo Model Air paints...these are so great, they don't even need thinner.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Airbrush Pre-Purchase Sanity Check   Airbrush Pre-Purchase Sanity Check I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Airbrush Pre-Purchase Sanity Check
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: