THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

MANDRAKES

Go down 
+6
Massaen
Darklight
Zaakath
Thor665
1++
Maugarath D'harq
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Maugarath D'harq
Hellion
Maugarath D'harq

MANDRAKES Empty
PostSubject: MANDRAKES   MANDRAKES I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 31 2012, 10:25

Despite them being quite possibly the best models ever, everybody hates mandrakes. In fact, I doubt even one in 20 of us (myself included) uses them. The thought of all those mandrakes sitting on shelves, in boxes and warehouse crates makes me sad, so...

I CHALLENGE ANYONE TO BUILD AND PLAY AN ARMY BASED ON MANDRAKES.

EDIT:
Rules;
  • You must use unaltered GW rules and FAQ for your mandrakes.
  • Games must be actually played in order to score points. I'm going to trust you people at your word, but don't take advantage of that if you want to see more of these contests in the future.
  • For each game above 1000 pts played you will be awarded 10 points per mandrake used in your list.
  • An additional 10 points will be awarded per actual mandrake models used.
  • A Nightfiend is worth 15 points if used, 25 with a mandrake model and 35 if the nightfiend is somehow converted to show his status.
  • Kheradruakh is worth 80 points & 90 with a mandrake to represent him (110 if it's actually kheradrakh).
  • Playing via alternate systems (paper cutouts, vassal etc) will still score you points, but only 1/2 of normal points, as there is far less effort involved. Also, obviously, there are no points to be scored for using mandrake models or conversions. If 'proxy models' or paper cutouts are used in a regular game there will be no penalty so long as they are neither more that 1/4 of your army or representative of mandrakes.
  • Finally, if anyone makes a 2000 point list with 6 squads of fully upgraded 10 man mandrake squads, led by Kheradruakh, at least two squads of which are actual mandrake models, I will add an extra 500 points on top of whatever you normally get.(not that you'll need it).

At the end of the contest (about January to February) The contestant with the highest points total will get a converted model of Kheradruakh, which I will make while this is running. It will be part finecast (sorry to those of us who hate finecast). I am open to your opinions as to whether or not it should be sent painted. There is no cost to this competiton whatsoever.

Last edited by Maugarath D'harq on Sat Nov 03 2012, 06:41; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

MANDRAKES Empty
PostSubject: Re: MANDRAKES   MANDRAKES I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 31 2012, 11:06

Love a challange but don't know when I'd be able to play it out:

140 - The Big K-man himself
130 - 2x Haemies, Liq, VB
480 - 3x 10 Mandrakes w/ Nightfiend
300 - 2x 8 Wracks, Liq in Raider
240 - 2x 5 Warriors, 1 Blaster in Raider
210 - 2 Ravagers

- Haemie's start the game with Warriors.
- 2 Units of Mandrakes deploy around 12" from DZ for Haemie/Warriors wo fly up, disembark, Haemie joins Mandrakes, Warriors shoot, Mandrakes can then shoot.
- 3rd Mandrake unit starts the game further up the field, hopefully distracting some enemy firepower/flamers for a turn, slowing down Scout moves.
- Wracks move forwards to prepare T2 Assault.

When the Big K Man arrives, plonk him down in the corner of a building, where no-one can charge him, so he can "snipe" and (attempt to) pin a unit down for a turn.

Dunno if I'll ever get to play it out, but thats what I'd bring....for a laugh anyway

Archon
Thor665

MANDRAKES Empty
PostSubject: Re: MANDRAKES   MANDRAKES I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 31 2012, 15:05

I've already lost the challenge.

Back to top Go down
Maugarath D'harq
Hellion
Maugarath D'harq

MANDRAKES Empty
PostSubject: Re: MANDRAKES   MANDRAKES I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01 2012, 01:26

1++ wrote:
Love a challenge but don't know when I'd be able to play it out:

140 - The Big K-man himself
130 - 2x Haemies, Liq, VB
480 - 3x 10 Mandrakes w/ Nightfiend
300 - 2x 8 Wracks, Liq in Raider
240 - 2x 5 Warriors, 1 Blaster in Raider
210 - 2 Ravagers

Oh my. Good luck!

Personally I think that mandrakes (like striking scorpions) may get some new life in this edition. Night-fight, the new 12" limit to infiltrate and fortifications allow them to present an affordable second turn threat which unlike a raider squad cannot be stranded on turn 1. Add in the comparatively low cost (and greater survivability) compared to a raider of wyches and I think they could possible become a competitive unit. Given that they have natural strength 4 (and hence are not subject to the random rolls of combat drugs) and they might just top wyches in getting into combat and doing stuff once they get there (although no Haywire kind of sucks). Just some ideas for you.

Hellion

MANDRAKES Empty
PostSubject: Re: MANDRAKES   MANDRAKES I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01 2012, 01:42

I'll have to give this a shot, just to check it out.
Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

MANDRAKES Empty
PostSubject: Re: MANDRAKES   MANDRAKES I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01 2012, 03:28

You gotta play to their strengths:

- 5+ Invuls means they can take on everything
- Stealth gives them permanent 6+ cover save

So just these 2 options (for me) mean they are an OK Distraction/Meatshield unit, say for walking troops (like Grotesques and an Archon) up behind them......

I think with Mandrakes, you have to think outside the box - WAAAAAYYYYY outside the box

Sybarite
Darklight

MANDRAKES Empty
PostSubject: Re: MANDRAKES   MANDRAKES I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01 2012, 06:20

Thor665 wrote:
I've already lost the challenge.

Same -.-

I dont got any mandrakes, and dont want to play them, but good luck to those who try Smile

Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

MANDRAKES Empty
PostSubject: Re: MANDRAKES   MANDRAKES I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01 2012, 06:30

I have 10 current models and a couple in finecast for my decapitator conversion... I have a tourney at the end of feb... I WILL take them to that event!!

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Glamhadril
Slave

MANDRAKES Empty
PostSubject: Re: MANDRAKES   MANDRAKES I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01 2012, 12:38

the way i'd run them would be in a list like this one

baron santhonyx
2 heamies 1 ss, 1lg, 2WWP 1 VB
2*10 mandrakes
2*5 wracks with lg in a raider
2*8 wracks lg
5 beastmasters, 5 khymerea, 8 razorwing flock
5 beastmasters 10 khymerea 6 razorwing flock
3 ravagers
1850 pts
the idea would be to rush forward with beast and plunking a portal next to each squad the hide the heammies plus squads behind the portals then when the mandrakes walk on you give them a haemy and use them to clear bubble wraps that would'v have stopped the beasts getting a preferable charge. mind you venoms or trueborn of a whole host of other things could do their job better but at least they would be of some use.
Back to top Go down
Maugarath D'harq
Hellion
Maugarath D'harq

MANDRAKES Empty
PostSubject: Re: MANDRAKES   MANDRAKES I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 01 2012, 14:38

I'm going to make you actually play a game to get the points I'm afraid, so no-one's got any points yet. But for some good news I've decided that as soon as my exams are over (about 2 weeks) I will start work on a Kheradruakh model to send off to our winner!

I regard myself as a decent modeller, if not brilliant, so long as I limit the green stuff usage. My most recent conversion can be seen in the painting/modelling sub forum (super raider conversion), and I plan on putting up some more work soon. If I can I'll have it done by the end of the year, ready to be sent off whenever I see fit!

Sybarite
Orthien

MANDRAKES Empty
PostSubject: Re: MANDRAKES   MANDRAKES I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 02 2012, 01:28

I probably will never fully take up the challenge of having at least two squads but I do use Mandrakes and find them very useful. They have even helped win me a few games. The two notable times have been a Nightfiend tanking a Necron Overlord for 3 rounds and removing 2 wounds. The squad then went on to aid my Incubi in denying that Overlord his resurrection.
The second was when the unit sat behind an ADL with an attached Haemy manning the Quad-gun. They didn't get much to shoot at as everything avoided them but the defense line and their stealth + FNP helped them soak 3 Monoliths worth of fire for near an entire game.

You defiantly can use them you just have to plan for them and devote a bit of thought, planning and points to making them work.

Kabalite Warrior Helm Project Log: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t5342-real-life-kabalite-helm
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

MANDRAKES Empty
PostSubject: Re: MANDRAKES   MANDRAKES I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 02 2012, 09:05

Do you get points for playing on Vassal?

Crazy_Irish
Sybarite

MANDRAKES Empty
PostSubject: Re: MANDRAKES   MANDRAKES I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 02 2012, 11:36

Do i get Points for using my own Kheradruakh Model ? I'll Play them again at my next game for sure. But i'll have to finish painting them ...

Hellion
Maugarath D'harq

MANDRAKES Empty
PostSubject: Re: MANDRAKES   MANDRAKES I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 03 2012, 06:12

People still use vassal? Yeah what the heck, but there's less effort in vassal, so maybe 1/2 points?

I'm in the middle of my exams right now but bear with me. I'll edit the first post to show competition rules over the next few days. I've actually started work on the decapitator while I wait on my mandrakes. I think I'll post progress in another thread when it actually gets off the ground.

MANDRAKES Empty
PostSubject: Re: MANDRAKES   MANDRAKES I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MANDRAKES
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Drukhari Discussion
-
Jump to: