THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents

Go down 
+45
Herbert West
Cavalier
SebastionSynn
Tangentical
redwulfe
Mngwa
Lord_Alino
Sulphunet
Sneaky Rufus
Crazy_Ivan
The Eye of Error
Zhul
W'fo
wilku
Sara'khil Umbrakol
Chaeril
Firdeth
malevolent_one
Eldur
Count Adhemar
Ciirian
Mortarion
citywidecrayon
Shadows Revenge
Mr_Pink
Cavash
ramtastic
Lady Malys
Preacher
Siticus the Ancient
The_Burning_Eye
SirTainly
Evil Space Elves
Keravin
Rabid Bunny
Raucir Lustingclaw
Liberame
Vanq
Hadriel Caine
GAR
Gobsmakked
Xelkireth
Garfy
Local_Ork
Sky Serpent
49 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents Empty
PostSubject: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10 2011, 03:03

When I heard the Dark Eldar were finally being rereleased I was pretty happy. Now, anyone who tells you they’ve been waiting 12 years for the new Codex to be rereleased is lying, you don’t start waiting as soon as your ‘Dex is out (unless you’re a Nids player it seems) but I was there 12 years ago. I started 40k with 3rd edition and the Dark Kin were my first army and you never forget your first love (photos of my old models to follow at some point), why I chose them I can’t tell and to be honest I haven’t used them in the last 8 but I have a shoebox full of awful models to show I was there. Since being back in the hobby fulltime I’ve been looking for an army to become my ‘main force’ and after the new models came online in grainy shots I knew I’d be happy evermore.

Duke Sliscus The Serpent. As soon as I saw that name appear in a Warseer rumour thread I knew I’d found the leader and theme for my army, even if his rules and model were awful, I’d use him.

I like heraldric figures. I like renegades and rebels. I like space pirates. I like characters with force and charisma. I like pirates who’s personal colours are the flayed skin of an Imperial Admiral. I like debauchery. I like concubines. I like Ziggy Stardust. Turns out the Duke was everything I ever wanted. Oh and his rules are pretty good too.

See I like themed armies. I find it impossible to build an army without some form of back story or idea driving the army on; you’ll probably find my Exodites and Eshin Skaven a testament to this. With the Duke at the helm I have a reason, a purpose. Instead of a simple Kabal I will be fielding the Sky Serpents, an array of renegades and outcasts, drawn to the banner and charisma of The Serpent. Realspace will never be the same again.

I guess I should give you a slight warning: I don’t paint that fast. I like to take my upmost time on each model. Each squad took four hours to glue together, time spent separating the pieces out to avoid duplicates and long periods drawn out deciding on poses. You will see conversions. You will see (hopefully) good painting. You won’t see a finished army by Easter. In fact I won’t start painting until I have my Hellions and Ravagers finished so that every spare piece of plastic is used for something.

Anyway, I rambled on more than Jervis Johnson on Speed. Let’s see some end product. On the next post you will see an army list and more indulgent ramblings and then hopefully some models. I’ll also be revisiting these first few posts to ‘Jazz’ them up a bit.

See you in the Webway.

With the candles flickering and minstels playing delicate notes of synth-flute, Duke Sliscus carved another stanza into the girl's naked breast. He pitied the poor monkeigh of the Adeptus Soritas as she lay across his table. Her resolve and faith carried her and though she shed blood, no tears or sounds were delivered. The Duke's smile changed into a snarl as he grew bored with his latest play thing, they had been such a joy to fight, such a joy to kill but this one, the Canoness they had called her, this one was different.
"Time for the poisons" said Sliscus, taking a sip of millennia old wine as he drenched his needle-sharp pen in the turquoise ooze of a dusty vial. This is better, thought Sliscus as her skin melted away with every stroke of his pen as the Sister finally let loose a sombre howl. "But how to record such a vivacious poem if her hide is to become obsolete" Sliscus asked one of the concubines fawning behind him. "The ship you stole from the Poisoned Tongue yesterday eve still needs a name, oh lord of deadly silence and lost hope."
'Excellent idea', thought the Duke, 'the next line I write shall prove a fitting name' as he picked the girl up by the hair, cutting more dark words into her back.

REALSPACE RAIDS
Army/Race W D L

Black Templars 0 0 0
Blood Angels 1 0 3
Chaos Daemons 1 0 0
Chaos Space Marines 1 0 0
Dark Angels 0 0 0
Dark Eldar 0 0 0
Eldar 1 1 0
Grey Knights 1 0 1
Imperial Guard 0 0 1
Necrons 3 0 2
Orks 4 1 4
Sisters Of Battle 0 0 0
Space Marines 3 0 0
Space Wolves 2 0 1
Tau Empire 0 0 0
Tyranids 0 0 1

Overall 16 2 13

Last edited by Sky Serpent on Sun Jun 17 2012, 21:42; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27 2011, 17:42

As the founder of the forum I decided it was around about time I got my own log going. The current update is cut and pasted from Warseer but as the updates become better and juicier I will be making some of the posts exclusive or first seen on this forum. I would advise any of the log owners on this forum to do so as to improve traffic.

Well it has been a while. Is anything painted? No. Is it even ready to be painted? No. Have you made any progress? Kinda. And that my dear friends is what I will be showing you.

I won't do any individual replies as you should generally just ignore the first pictures. I'll keep them up there for a sense of completeness but it's all changed. I now have my 1750 built, it just needs converting and pimping. I'm nearing the end of that cycle so that is where your critique will come in.

So, let's start with.......

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents IMG_1905

Duke Sliscus of course. You can see that I've gone for an entirely different route and as far as I know the only one to do so. He is based on Prince Yriel with a Warriors head, trophy hand and shoulder pads from the Hellions, Venom Blades from the Scourges, a Serpent from the Corsairs kit plus some other mish mash. He is still due a lot of work - a lot of green stuffing and the banner needs finishing too. Looking to bring him a bit higher too.

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents IMG_1912

Oh a Razorwing. It's the stock model so far and is due some converting, not sure what just yet. Also looking into buying an airbrush. Can anyone make a recommendation that doesn't cost the earth? I've also decided on a colour scheme, took 7 months but I'm finally there. You have no idea how many changes I went through. Going for a scarlet with lots of art nouveau freehand with mustard and jade as the secondaries.

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents IMG_1913

And my last image of my returning post. An objective marker that cost more than any model in the army.

My target is to get everything painted by the end of October. It's going to be tough but we will see. Updates tommorow. Smile
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27 2011, 17:58

One thing about airbrush - You definetely want use primer. Most likely one from can. Probably white since it's easier to preshade from it And totally beeing able to disassemble whole thing.

Anyway I thing "elephant" may be good. It does looks funny, but at least it's not plastic crap GW sells :>

And I'm totally gonna "promote" this board on Da Waaagh (sadly common users can't have piccies in signature, tho I may add *just* link)

Best of luck!
Back to top Go down
Garfy
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27 2011, 19:29

Excited to see where this goes.
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28 2011, 01:18

Nice Sliscus! I was thinking about doing something similar, but less eldarish.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28 2011, 08:21

Excellent Sliscus. Yriel is a great starting point for DE proportionately and obviously helps to fit the whole pirate/corsair theme which they share.
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28 2011, 15:01

Off to a great start.

Looking forward to some paint.

I like the objective with the slaves, I think I will do something similar.
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28 2011, 18:27

I've spent the day redoing my Hekatrix's for my Wych Cults. Before I was using purely the stock model but now I am going for more dynanism. They're not quite finished yet but the gf will be round on Wednesday with her fancy camera so expect pictures then. I've also been adding bits and pieces to all of my vehicles. I went the old school route of assembling a bits box of interesting items that would suit the Dark Eldar and Duke and used the 'rule of cool' to decide where and if they should go.

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents IMG_1908

Trueborn!

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents IMG_1909

They will accompany the Duke. I've used the tried and tested idea of Corsair cloaks and many parts from across the Dark Eldar range. I'm trying to emphasise a real notion of individual character in these models and make each Trueborn their own. I've used Scourge and Wych legs on two of them to gain a sense of movement, as though they've jumped from their Venom. They're by no means finished, expect a lot more work on them before they are finished.

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents IMG_1910

Group shot! I feel the flags work well together to establish a pronounced continuity and theme that should tie the unit together on the tabletop.

Anyway, that's that. I'm planning on putting some more pictures up later around my Wych and Solar Cults. I have a large unit of Hellions done too but you won't get much out of them as they have nothing special going on just yet.

Let me know what you think and I'll drop some more pics later.
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28 2011, 19:00

I like the back banners! They are going to look SWEET when they are all done up.
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Hadriel Caine
Hellion
Hadriel Caine

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28 2011, 19:43

Oh man. Was going to comment over on warseer earlier and forgot. I love the Yriel conversion. The Trueborn and Hekatrixes look sweet. Very very cool.
Back to top Go down
Vanq
Hellion
Vanq

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 28 2011, 22:15

Ton of character with the Duke and his Trueborn! The one with scourge legs and splinter cannon is my favourite, definitely feels like he has just lept out guns blazing!
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29 2011, 07:37

Nice! I can't wait to see more of your models. A lot of blogs I've seen keep very static poses. I'm loving your dynamic feel.
Back to top Go down
Liberame
Hellion
Liberame

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29 2011, 07:46

Love your Duke modeling. Wonder when they will release a fine cast version of yriel
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29 2011, 08:01

Liberame wrote:
Love your Duke modeling. Wonder when they will release a fine cast version of yriel
That would be nice!
Back to top Go down
Hadriel Caine
Hellion
Hadriel Caine

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29 2011, 11:11

I was thinking the exact same thing!
Back to top Go down
Raucir Lustingclaw
Kabalite Warrior
Raucir Lustingclaw

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29 2011, 13:31

Awesome stuff! I really should start working on my army in earnest. Although the poses on your models certainly put my bog-standard Kabalites to shame. Sad

Inspiring stuff!

Raucir

P.S. Loving the individual banners on the Trueborn, despite the fact that the banners we have are so ridiculously static-looking.
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29 2011, 23:19

Well the Hekatrix are finished, just need to add some green stuff touches, pictures to follow soon. Reading the 6th edition rumours regarding objective markers means I will be slightly reworking the ones I have started and the ideas in my head. For those who have missed the rumours, there will be 5 per game on 60mm bases. One must be flat while the others are open to modelling but cannot spill over the edges, I'm looking to get this army done for a tournament in November so maybe I should focus on the main stuff just for now.

So anyway, I wanted to talk more about the direction I am taking with the Sky Serpents. I'm really looking to empthasise the different cults flocking to Duke's banner so here are my ideas so far.

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents IMG_1915

Cult of the (Gladiator/Headhunter Stereotype). I have two units of Wyches in the army and each will have their own character and look. For these guys I'm looking for a feral headhunter look while still retaining some sense of embattled gladiator. To get this across the Raider is adorned with countless trophies while each Wych will have green stuffed fur and each sports an Incubi back vane. Why? I don't know, I just think it looks cool. War paint will be the case for these boys and girls and I felt Shardnets were the most fitting weapon for them.

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents IMG_1914

Cult of the (Druggie/Skin Stealers). The second and last unit of Wyches. This cult is formed of entirely female members, meaning I can use Bloodbrides where I like and giving a different direction compared to the previous, mixed cult. Each model will be covered in flayed skins, though I will be looking to stay away from the Necron Flayed One look. I see them wearing them more as grotesque fashion accessories. It also plays up Duke's penchant for flayed skin and you will see poetry on them too. I'm also going down the drug abuse road with these girls. Splintermind whores, I will be going for a very pallid look with dark, sunken eyes and the obligatorynose tube. I can't imagine a better weapon for shredding skin than a Razorflail so those weapons will empthasise the look.

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents IMG_1916

Cult of the (Solar Cult) I have been obsessed with solar cults since the John Blanche image of an imperial (renegade?) solar priest from back in the Inquisitor era. I love the idea of how even in the distant future people/xenos still worship and follow the sun. Or in the case of the Dark Eldar, steal them. I had to have a Solar Cult in the army and decided the Scourge heads would be a good fit. They won't be too different to normal warriors otherwise.

So, I know there's no paint but I'm throwing up some ideas that would defo get better with some criticism and development from you guys. Also looking to get the Hekatrix pictures up later.

Oh and if people would like to help with the Cult names I'd be very happy. Smile
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30 2011, 00:17

Ah, Scourge heads on regular warriors, very nice. I have been planning to do some of that myself as soon as my bitz show up. They could also pass as Harlies, methinks.

I like what you have done here, lots of little touches that really add up to something different overall. The flayed skin add-ons are great, wish I could do that without buggering up the model too much. And the extra skulls look good, can't have too many of those!

I'm not putting any pikes or banners on my vehicles, way too fragile even for me.
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30 2011, 04:01

Nicely done, Serpent. I can't wait for more.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Bunny
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01 2011, 02:02

Hey Paul, good to see you've started posting some stuff. This Sliscus looks alot nicer than your original one, the pose is quite dynamic and the model has a nice flow to it. The trueborn with backbanners are cool, i've got my anti infantry trueborn kitted out with the Kabalite banners.
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03 2011, 23:03

Here are the Hekatrii I promised.

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents IMG_1939

The acrobatic lady on the left is the leader of the flayed/drugged Wyches. She uses Venom Wych legs, Archon back banner and Succubus Agoniser; the rest are generic Wych parts. I'm happy with the pose but she is by no means done, she is due a lot of green stuff work with lots of skin tethering off to exaggerate the pose and motion. As a small note I wouldn't be able to pose the Agoniser with the new Finecast model. I still haven't made my mind up on the new range yet but I couldn't buy a Haemonculus from a GW store the other day purely because allll of them had massive defects.

On the right is the gladiatorial Hekatrix. I went for a generic standing still pose but feel she pulls off the look. She uses the Succubus body, the old Lelith's head and Wych parts. My only worry is I think she may look too elite, too Succubus but only time will tell.

Thank you everyone for all the Airbrush advice, finally ordered mine today as well as some Vallejo paints. Always good to try something new.

Let me know what you think. Ciao.
Back to top Go down
Keravin
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10 2011, 13:03

Any chance of a closer shot of the green stuff work you've done on the Wyches?
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10 2012, 18:05

Time for an update I guess. Pictures are really really bad, you don't see much depth or highlighting but you should get the general gist of what's going on....

Let's first go to the Wyches. These are my entry for The Archon's Challenge which I hope to get them finished alongside.

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents 006
Group shot of the boys and girls. They're in a very WIP stage, only the skin and flayed skin are near about finished.

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents 010
Close up on one of the Wyches...

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents 009
And the units Hekatrix.

Hope you like them, as always comments and feedback are welcome... Smile
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10 2012, 18:14

I'm really digging the old-school Lelith mask feel of the Hekatrix. Looking good!
Back to top Go down
SirTainly
Sybarite
SirTainly

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10 2012, 22:34

Finally paint has been applied! Good start though! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://fortwargame.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents   Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Duke Sliscus And The Sky Serpents
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next