THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

Hammering Out a Color Scheme

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Damnosus
Hellion
Damnosus

Hammering Out a Color Scheme Empty
PostSubject: Hammering Out a Color Scheme   Hammering Out a Color Scheme I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 29 2012, 17:17

So my DE army will be using a 3 color scheme, primary being turquoise, secondary purple, and third orange/gold. My problem is where best to apply those colors. Here is a shot of my unfinished first model: Hammering Out a Color Scheme 504684701961945370_kJkRSrqe

So I really like the turquoise for the edge highlights on the armor, and I am pretty sure that I like the hair purple, but how the heck should I paint the gun and what color would work best for the waist cloth? I did orange on that strange wire on the left shoulder, and I was thinking of adding orange to those "gem shapes" but I wasn't sure about it. I also painted the sash the same purple as the hair, and I am kinda on the fence about that too. Any advice would be super helpful as I am kinda stuck creatively. Thanks!

EDIT: oh and how should I paint the base? I was thinking lighter colors, like a snow or desert base, but yea I am totally unsure.

Hammering Out a Color Scheme 504684701961945370_kJkRSrqe

Last edited by Damnosus on Sat Dec 08 2012, 06:46; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Damnosus
Hellion
Damnosus

PostSubject: Re: Hammering Out a Color Scheme   Hammering Out a Color Scheme I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08 2012, 06:43

So after getting absolutely no responses, I decided to check this topic so I could host it on another website...and I realized the picture wasn't there...talk about fail.

So now that it appears to be working, could I get some feedback regarding my questions above?
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Hammering Out a Color Scheme   Hammering Out a Color Scheme I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08 2012, 09:16

Sorry you haven't had any responses yet Damnosus. Your painting is extremely well done, you have really nailed the eyes. I can't do eyes properly to save my life!

OK, first the base. If you do anything light-coloured, then I would go with snow. Keep it simple and contrats nicely with the models, without taking anything away from them attention-wise. You could do the bottom edge of the snow's rim with a very, very light electric blue, but that's all that I would suggest.

Next, the warrior. I think you have some great colours that work nicely together and you have them in the right places. Personally, I would consider doing the sash in orange, sort of as an army identifier that would also really make them pop on the tabletop.

And the gun. If you are ticking with a very simple, three-colour scheme, then leave the gun primarily black (or a very dark silver) with faint Boltgun/Leadbelcher highlighting. You could do the two chambers differently, maybe washed Boltgun, but again that is all I would do.

Gems on DE I always do in dark purple with a gloss finish. You could do them orange, if you weren't doing anything else the same colour, but dark purple would match up nicely with the hair.

Whatever you do, make sure we see the finished product!

Cheers.

Mod Squad pirat    Forum rules, please read ................. or else we release the Khymerae!

The Serpents' Breath - the Dark Eldar corsair scourge
Hive Fleet Void Riven & WIP thread
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Hammering Out a Color Scheme   Hammering Out a Color Scheme I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08 2012, 16:43

Thought I'd chime in a bit. My Corsiar army uses turquoise with purple gems
Hammering Out a Color Scheme 2012-11-07_10-30-20_987
Turquoise is one of those colors that can be warm or cold depending on what colors are complementing it. Purple lends itself to a cold effect while orange is more of a warm color. The purple is more of a complementary color while the orange is a great contrast color. I would probably go with Gobsmakked's suggestion of orange gems, purple hair. The sash is usually painted a flayed skin color for creepy effect. The only place that I would differ would be on the color of the weapons. A bronze/brass color looks very good with turquoise and would add variation without being too loud or muted.

Hope this helps!

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Damnosus
Hellion
Damnosus

PostSubject: Re: Hammering Out a Color Scheme   Hammering Out a Color Scheme I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 11 2012, 05:12

Ok so here is an updated photo. I haven't done all of the highlights, but I want feedback before I finish it. The orange on the gems are just place holders (just so I could get an idea of how it would look). So does the gun look ok? I tried the bronze/brass look that ESE recommended but it looked funny because I don't have those colors anywhere else. I am gonna paint the moon thing on the end in Purple (or maybe that is where the bronze will go...?) and the base is still gonna be snowy. Thanks!
Hammering Out a Color Scheme 504684701961985600_Xo478unE
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hammering Out a Color Scheme   Hammering Out a Color Scheme I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hammering Out a Color Scheme
Page 1 of 1